Help My Guitar's broken :(

Soujiro_SetaSoujiro_Seta Posts: 100
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well i just tried to hook up my guitar to my amp but it wouldnt work. I hooked the amp up to somthing else and it works fine. And i know its not the cable i tested that too. Do i have a loose connection in my guitar or are my electronics shot?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EvvoEvvo Posts: 195
    possibly your soldering has come loose. pull out your guitar input and check loose wires or poor connections. unlikely your electrics are shot, but thats possible.
  • nickydeannickydean Posts: 40
    Evvo wrote:
    possibly your soldering has come loose. pull out your guitar input and check loose wires or poor connections. unlikely your electrics are shot, but thats possible.

Especially if this is the first time this has happened. It's bound to happen some time, and it's a real easy fix. No worries.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    What kind of guitar is it?

Soldering is the most likely cure. I have an Epi LP and i found out (after buying it) that its common for them to need soldering done at one point. That point came about 2 years after getting it.

Like nickydean said, its an easy fix, just put it into your local guitar store and they'll do it for next to nothing.
  • I got that with my guitars and yeah its kinda scary. All that happened was that the wires that are linked to the lead input were just not touching the metal bit inside (like my tech jargon ;)) I just brought it into my guitar shop and he soldered it back and he set up all the strings and bridge settings again. You'll be fine, if in doubt then just get it repaired. cost me about £20-30.
    1996 - Cork 24th Oct, Dublin - 26th Oct
    2000 - London Wembley Arena - 30th May, Dublin - The Point 1st Jul
    2003 - New York MSG 1 - 8th Jul, New York, MSG 2 - 9th Jul
    2006 - London, Astoria - 20th Apr, Dublin - 23rd Aug, Reading Festival - 27th Aug, Berlin, Wuhlheide - 23rd Sept 06
    2007 - London, 02 - 18th Jun
    2010 - Dublin, 02 - 22nd Jun, Hyde Park, London - 24th Jun
    2011 - Alpine Valley, 3-4th Sept
  • chris01 wrote:
    What kind of guitar is it?

Soldering is the most likely cure. I have an Epi LP and i found out (after buying it) that its common for them to need soldering done at one point. That point came about 2 years after getting it.

Like nickydean said, its an easy fix, just put it into your local guitar store and they'll do it for next to nothing.

Its a standard telecaster thats about 7 months old

And thanks for the help everyone ill take it in after finals are over or is it possible for me to do it myself?
    Its a standard telecaster thats about 7 months old

And thanks for the help everyone ill take it in after finals are over or is it possible for me to do it myself?

It's very easy to fix, and you could very well do it yourself. All that you really need is a soldering iron and solder. But, if you've never used a soldering iron before, I wouldn't start practicing on your guitar.

Also, while this is what it probably is, it's only speculation. It could be something totally different. That being said, I guess it depends on what you are comfortable doing.
  • nickydean wrote:
    It's very easy to fix, and you could very well do it yourself. All that you really need is a soldering iron and solder. But, if you've never used a soldering iron before, I wouldn't start practicing on your guitar.

Also, while this is what it probably is, it's only speculation. It could be something totally different. That being said, I guess it depends on what you are comfortable doing.

Ive soldered some stuff before so i guess ill just give it a shot since even if i wanted to i dont have the money to have it professionally done lol
    Ive soldered some stuff before so i guess ill just give it a shot since even if i wanted to i dont have the money to have it professionally done lol

I'm sure you'll be fine. If it isn't the soldering, don't panic. It could very easily be the jack itself. I always replace the jacks on my new guitars with Switchcraft jacks. A 15 dollar problem, not big deal.

Hope everything works out for you! Keep me posted.
  • It could be the jack, or some of the wiring. If you pop the jack out and part of it looks bent, perhaps you can manually bend it back into shape, without needing to solder anything.

Good luck!
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I had a tele that would eat jacks. I put 4 in within a year. I never could figure that out, and neither could my tech, so I sold it.
  • It most likely is a disconnected wire at the jack. Tele's are famous for eating jacks because those jack cups never hold them tight.
    You can probably solder that thing on yourself if you have any soldering skills.

For the more permanent jack fix for a Tele, short of selling it :),, is to get a switchcraft jackL http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Jacks/Switchcraft_Output_Jacks.html
    and one of these from Stewmac.com:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Bass:_Covers_plates/Electrosocket_Jack_Plates.html
    That screws in really solidly to the body and holds the jack much better.

You still have to tighten that nut every once in a while but this is the best thing I've ever seen for that damn little cup. I actually filled the hole with a wood plug on my Tele's and installed a flush mount jack that held much better. The Stew Mac things came out after I did all that.

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Keep us posted!
  • Well i opened her up and played around with the wires a bit and she started to work so i didnt need to solder anything. Guess it was just a loose wire Thanks guys ^_^