gibson les paul and fender stratocaster

maddrummermaddrummer Posts: 93
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
qwhat is the difference between the two??
Fuck The System
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    has paco lost his voice? haha. i love it when people ask questions and you just sit there and wait for paco to explain it like the "hitchhikers guide to guitalaxy" that he is :D and then this happens he just puts a pair of links up haha. damn youse youve let me down :D
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I was just going to say night and day, and about $1200 for starters.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    kigcat wrote:
    has paco lost his voice? haha. i love it when people ask questions and you just sit there and wait for paco to explain it like the "hitchhikers guide to guitalaxy" that he is :D and then this happens he just puts a pair of links up haha. damn youse youve let me down :D

ha ha, sorry I let you down. I got to play with a huge Allen&Heath board last weekend, I love those things, good work.

basically, there are loads of differences between the two guitars and the two companies besides shape.

It's just so general and vast it's hard to explain without taking 5 to 10 pages to describe. It's easier to just go to each site and read the specs.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Les Paul Standard

Manufactured in: Nashville, TN

BODY
    Top Species: Carved AA maple
    Back Species: Mahogany
    Center Block: Single-ply top

NECK
    Species: Mahogany
    Profile: '50's Rounded or '60's slim taper
    Peghead Pitch: 17°
    Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.818
    Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.963
    Neck Joint Location: 16

FINGERBOARD
    Species: Rosewood
    Scale Length: 243/4"
    Total Length: 18.137
    Number of Frets: 22
    Nut Width: 111/16"
    Width at 12th Fret: 2.062
    Inlays: Pearl trapezoid
    Fingerboard Bind: single-ply

HARDWARE
    Plating Finish: Nickel
    Tailpiece: Stopbar
    Bridge: Tune-o-matic
    Knobs: Gold Top Hat
    Tuners: Green Keys

ELECTRONICS
    Pickups: BurstBucker Pro pickups with Alnico V magnets
    Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch

CASE
    Case Interior: Dark Grey Plush with Black Shroud
    Case Exterior: Black Reptile Pattern Hardshell
    Case Silkscreen: Silver 'Gibson USA' logo

OTHER
    Strings: Brite Wires .010-.046
    Lefty: Available Left-handed
    Available Left-handed

641 Massman Drive
    Nashville, TN 37210
    1-800-4GIBSON

The all-time favorite Gibson model, the Les Paul Standard is recognized the world over as an icon for rock and roll. As Gibson’s first solidbody electric guitar, the Les Paul Model made a lasting impression when it debuted in 1952, and it continues to shape the sounds of popular music today.

Available Colors: Heritage Cherry Sunburst , Goldtop , Light Burst , Desert Burst , Wine Red , Ebony , Trans Amber , Honey Burst , Gecko , Root Beer , Latte Crème , Cayenne , Iced Tea

Model Name American Stratocaster®
    Model Number 011-7400-(Color#) and 011-7402-(Color#)
    Series American Series
    Colors (700)* 3-Color Sunburst, *add $50.00,
    (705) Olympic White,
    (706) Black,
    (725) Chrome Red,
    (750) Butterscotch Blonde,
    (795) Chrome Blue,
    (Polyurethane Finish)
    Body Alder
    Neck Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Satin Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard Rosewood (p/n 011-7400) or Maple (p/n 011-7402), 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
    No. of Frets 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Pickups 3 American Strat® Single-Coil Pickups
    Controls Master Volume,
    Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),
    Tone 2. New Delta Tone™
    (“Delta Tone” system includes high output bridge pickup and special No-Load tone control for Middle and Bridge Pickups)
    Pickup Switching 5-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup
    Position 3. Middle Pickup
    Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup
    Position 5. Neck Pickup
    Bridge American 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo with Stainless Steel Saddles
    Machine Heads Fender®/Schaller® Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
    Hardware Chrome
    Pickguard 3-Ply Parchment On:
    (700)* 3-Color Sunburst, add $50.00,
    (705) Olympic White,
    (706) Black,
    (725) Chrome Red,
    (795) Chrome Blue,
    1-Ply Black On:
    (750) Butterscotch Blonde
    Scale Length 25.5” (648 mm)
    Width at Nut 1.6875” (43 mm)
    Unique Features “Parchment” Knobs and Pickup Covers,
    Original Headstock Shape,
    Original Body Shape with “Original Contour Body” Decal on Headstock,
    Rolled Fingerboard Edges,
    H/S/H Pickup Routing
    Strings Fender® Super Bullets® 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-003
    Accessories Standard Molded Case
    Case Standard Molded Case
    Introduced 6/2000
    Notice Product Prices, Features And Specifications Are Subject To Change Without Notice

The beauty of the American Stratocaster guitar is in its details. This model incorporates several simple player-friendly refinements into the timeless design of the Strat guitar: hand-rolled fingerboard edges, three staggered single-coil pickups, five-way switching and two-point synchronized tremolo.

Both the Les Paul Standard and the American Stratocaster are industry standards. Essentially The Les Paul Standard the Gibson SG the American Stratocaster and the American Telecaster are the guitars by which all others are measured. It's not listed in the specs I don't think but the Fender Strat has a bolt on neck construction and the Gibson Les Paul has set in (glued) neck construction.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    maddrummer wrote:
    qwhat is the difference between the two??

mine share a guitar stand so i can grab the one i want whenever i want it......
  • a few months ago i started a thread called "tell me the difference between a les paul and a tele"........you can look up that thread (i know you asked about a strat not a tele)

well i have had a strat for 8 years, and i bought a les paul in september after reading what people had to say in the thread......i have hardly played the strat since i got the LP.........basically, the les paul has a thicker, ballsy-er, meatier sound to it........it also has great sustain, so you can hold notes for longer than the strat.......it also weighs almost twice as much as the strat.......you can get a bright tone out of it, or a really warm tone that is awesome for bluesy leads, and it kicks ass slamming on power chords with distortion

i finally started playing the strat again recently........i must say, after playing the LP for the last few months, i have really "fallen out of love" with the strat..........it just seems weaker in every way compared to the LP..........the main thing about the strat is that it has a much thinner, metallic sound, and sometimes you want that sound......for example, mike mcready uses a strat for the intro to Yellow Ledbetter......it wouldn't sound right on a les paul........the strat is much more delicate than the LP

if the strat is a machine gun, then the les paul is a bazooka
    (but sometimes you want the sublety of a machine gun)

hope that all helps a bit
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Strat = generally more bell like tones, thinner and more articulate sounds. Not as powerful as a Les Paul, but with some good playing, you can do a lot with it. Single coils don't drive an amp as hard as humbuckers, but sometimes you don't want to.
    Great for blues, jazz, clean sounding tones, and rock, but when you wrestle with them you can make them grind. I love Strats! :cool:

Les Paul = more power! Easily drive an amp to distortion and has great sustain to ring out the notes.

Great for blues, jazz, great "rock out" grinding tones, but when you caress it, it'll give you sweet clean sounding tones. I love Les Pauls! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

"If you're not scared, I'm not doing my job."
    - Stephen Colbert
  • Yeah, I always wait for someone else to answer too. That way I don't have to.

:)
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    One is made from the skin of a potato, and the other from elderberries.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ha ha, sorry I let you down. I got to play with a huge Allen&Heath board last weekend, I love those things, good work.
    no way haha. what model was it? let me know and i`ll tell you some tricks of the trade to look out for on it ;)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • rite ino this is my thread but ive done some research for myself. (actually i just forgot about this site lol) iv played on a strat and a lespaul after makin this thread, and ive found out that the strat is so much more versatile! and so much easier to play! with the low bridge, unlike the gibson lp. high bridge, like the bloody iefel tower. thin neck. its altogether harder to play. okay...more power in a gibson but my opinion is a fender strat is so much better. does anyone agree?
    Fuck The System
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    better is subjective. if it fits you, it's better for you.
  • maddrummer wrote:
    rite ino this is my thread but ive done some research for myself. (actually i just forgot about this site lol) iv played on a strat and a lespaul after makin this thread, and ive found out that the strat is so much more versatile! and so much easier to play! with the low bridge, unlike the gibson lp. high bridge, like the bloody iefel tower. thin neck. its altogether harder to play. okay...more power in a gibson but my opinion is a fender strat is so much better. does anyone agree?

Sounds like you had a bad Paul. I think generally speakin Les Pauls are easier to play, with their thinner neck, unless you have small hands or are just beginning.

Don't be afraid to really check into Les Pauls. They can be adapted to any sound. Comparing my Les Paul to my buddies Am. Strat, My guitar sounds better 7 outta ten times. You gotta really use the tone dial, where as with a Strat a simple flick of the switch gets you a different sound. Really explore all the sounds a good Les Paul has to offer.

The high bridge of which you speak is a guitar problem and can be adjusted. Strings on a Paul can virtually ride the fretboard.
  • If you have both, you can have all the tones. i do love them both, different animals really. but i dont think either is easier to play than the other. maybe the LP is for some folks because it has a shorter scale neck. strats some may argue are more comfy, but hey, were are not comparing sofa's here.

strats with humbuckers sound crazy. Les pauls with the coils tapped sound quite different, strat-like but darker because of the mahogony.

Tele's with P90's.........thats another tread.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer