Strings

maddrummermaddrummer Posts: 93
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
okay, i want to hear what people think of the many string makes we have out there. my favourite at the moment are ernie ball super slinky. i used to like rotosound but then i tried super slinkys and the tone wus so much more pure than the roto's. so what do all you lot think about strings??
Fuck The System
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I play martin bronze mediums for acoutsic, and I play GHS boomers 10-52 for electric. I enjoy them.

What are the super slinkies like? Are they very light? WHy called super slinky?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I normally use ernie's regular slinkies and love them but I tried roto's for the extra 1st string and I have to say I was disappointed. Lost that bright tone after about 2 days.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Right now, I'm using Snake Oil 11's, and whatever set of 11's came on my Delia. Before that, I used Gibson Historic strings. They sound great but wear out fast. Before that, I used Thomastiks. They are great, but they are very stiff.
  • I used to love using Ernie Ball and sometimes Roto's, but now I swear by D'addario strings. their a tad more expensive but they seem to last much longer without rusting and whatever. a good clear tone for ages, even after a few sweaty gigs.

they are also the greenest brand it would seem, use 75% less packaging as all the strings come in one rust resistant bag instead of individual paper wallets.

..the clear choice IMO
  • I play martin bronze mediums for acoutsic, and I play GHS boomers 10-52 for electric. I enjoy them.

What are the super slinkies like? Are they very light? WHy called super slinky?

the siper slinkys are great on a hondo gibson les paul copy, probably on a gibson aswell. but on a fender strat they're okay, but tuning can be outa wack and they dont hold for the tremelo atall. so if you have a gibson use super slinkys! but could you or anyone reccomend strings for a strat-tremelo system??
    Fuck The System
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I use DR Pure Blues and Tite Fits on my electrics as a rule, sometimes GHS boomers, Elixer Light and DR Phosphor Bronze acoustic. Occasionally I use Dean Markley Blue Steels though they aren't my fave. Fender super bullets are ok. When I get the work done on my strat I'll be moving it from 10's to 11's and probably get the snake oils from dean.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • everyone of my electrics uses D'Adardio Lights (the orange XL ones) i cannot get enough of these, and now they sell the big packs of them (25 sets) i love them, they work perfect

HM

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • all these replys are great, but none of you have told me what strings i should use for a tremelo sytem guitar.
    Fuck The System
    maddrummer wrote:
    all these replys are great, but none of you have told me what strings i should use for a tremelo sytem guitar.

what kind of tremolo? Floyd Rose?

If you have one with a tremolo block (fender style) you might like Fender Bullets.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i have the fender style tremelo, but fender strings just didnt do it for me. im looking for strings that have great, long lasting tone, and will take the pressure of the wammy bar. the super slinkys just go straight away.
    Fuck The System
    maddrummer wrote:
    i have the fender style tremelo, but fender strings just didnt do it for me. im looking for strings that have great, long lasting tone, and will take the pressure of the wammy bar. the super slinkys just go straight away.

yeah, Ernie Balls do not take bending and pulling very well. I would try DR (Hi Beams for loud boomer like strings, Tite Fits for Regular and Pure Blues if you want nickle wrap) and D' Addario XL's. I did use to have success with Boomers but recently the quality has gone down I think. The only strings I ever break easily with consistancy are Ernie Balls. Blue Steels are OK too.
  • would ghs boomers take the rath of the wammy bar?
    Fuck The System
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    my 3 favorites:

Martin M150 Bronze Medium (mccready uses)
    GHS White Bronze Medium
    Dean Markley Light

Used to like Elixir, but they seemed to break VERY easily. I have only been using the GHS strings, and none have broken over a 1 year period

all4
  • my 3 favorites:

Martin M150 Bronze Medium (mccready uses)
    GHS White Bronze Medium
    Dean Markley Light

Used to like Elixir, but they seemed to break VERY easily. I have only been using the GHS strings, and none have broken over a 1 year period

all4

doesnt mccready use ghs boomers?? thats what the signal flow diagram says. http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/index.html
    Fuck The System
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    maddrummer wrote:
    doesnt mccready use ghs boomers?? thats what the signal flow diagram says. http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/index.html

Supposedly. Not sure if he still does. Thats why I use them and I've never had a problem on my Strat. I change them up about once a month to keep them fresh. Then again, I never gig out or go nuts on the tremolo, so they tend to stay in tune, for the most part.
  • evergladeeverglade Posts: 12
    maddrummer wrote:
    okay, i want to hear what people think of the many string makes we have out there. my favourite at the moment are ernie ball super slinky. i used to like rotosound but then i tried super slinkys and the tone wus so much more pure than the roto's. so what do all you lot think about strings??

I use erniaball superslinky too (for bass)
    driiiink up
  • yer im sure slinkys are great on bass. but they dont do their job on a strat. i think im going to buy ghs boomers next.
    Fuck The System