Pac or Enharmonic

Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
what do you know about jumping 2 amp channels together?
how is it done?
is it a mod that needs to be done by a tech?

What sort of sound will it achieve?

cheers.

Spook.
Dont take drugs and be a loser
wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    From Marshall's manuals this one is the 1974X, This should help. You can do this on the 4 input "plexi" style marshalls though.

Performance Note: Bridging or ‘jumping’ the two channels Because both Channels of the 1974X have the same number of gain stages (one) and are therefore inphase with each other, it is possible to bridge them together (a.k.a. ‘slaving’, ‘jumping’, ‘linking’ or even‘daisy-chaining’) and use them both at the same time – providing you use the Tremolo Channel as theprimary (the reverse won’t work due to the way Channel 1’s two identical inputs are configured). Doing thisenables you to expand upon the amps tonal possibilities by mixing the two channels together. The most common way of doing this is to plug your guitar into the top (high sensitivity) input of the TremoloChannel and then run a short ‘jumper’ guitar cable (i.e. a screened cable) from the Tremolo Channel’sbottom (low sensitivity) input to either one of Channel 1’s two identical inputs.It is also possible to plug your guitar into the Tremolo Channel’s bottom (low sensitivity) input and then runthe ‘jumper’ cable from its top (high sensitivity) input to Channel 1. This less common approach can yield some interesting tonal variations.

It works because the inputs are in phase. (Bassmans work with this trick too)

Ok, now you say....what about my fender blackface/silverface.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm yoink.

David Barber is genius. This is a very useful tool for us fender freaks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    oh how i loved me some launch pad. i need to get another one someday.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    From Marshall's manuals this one is the 1974X, This should help. You can do this on the 4 input "plexi" style marshalls though.

Performance Note: Bridging or ‘jumping’ the two channels Because both Channels of the 1974X have the same number of gain stages (one) and are therefore inphase with each other, it is possible to bridge them together (a.k.a. ‘slaving’, ‘jumping’, ‘linking’ or even‘daisy-chaining’) and use them both at the same time – providing you use the Tremolo Channel as theprimary (the reverse won’t work due to the way Channel 1’s two identical inputs are configured). Doing thisenables you to expand upon the amps tonal possibilities by mixing the two channels together. The most common way of doing this is to plug your guitar into the top (high sensitivity) input of the TremoloChannel and then run a short ‘jumper’ guitar cable (i.e. a screened cable) from the Tremolo Channel’sbottom (low sensitivity) input to either one of Channel 1’s two identical inputs.It is also possible to plug your guitar into the Tremolo Channel’s bottom (low sensitivity) input and then runthe ‘jumper’ cable from its top (high sensitivity) input to Channel 1. This less common approach can yield some interesting tonal variations.

It works because the inputs are in phase. (Bassmans work with this trick too)

Ok, now you say....what about my fender blackface/silverface.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm yoink.

David Barber is genius. This is a very useful tool for us fender freaks.

Thanks Pac!
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    What Pac said :). sorry I missed this thread, but he's got ya covered.