Barber

Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Evening all.

I've been checking out Barber pedals and would love to purchase either the Burn or Tone pump unit.

However the dilema is that they seem very much the same unit except maybe the Burn has more gain?

Anyone used them, can throw some light on the subject?

also, the LTD & Direct drive seem like just the overdrive half of the tone pump, if i already have a clean boost - would it be better to save my cash and just get the direct drive or LTD and not bother with the boost?

Thanks,

Spook.
Dont take drugs and be a loser
wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    All of those are semi distinctly different.

I've owned an orignial DD for about 3 years now.

The LTD is a low gain overdrive clips are available on the site. The silver LTD has a different flatter EQ curve. The new Small Fry is a small box version of the burn unit, very flexible high gain OD/Dist.

The direct drive is a very flexible overdrive from clean boost to (he claims dumble) I disagree because no pedal is going to give you that tone. But it's got a ton of volume and gain if you want it. Mine has a pull harmonics boost, new ones have internal trimmers to set it perfect. A mod PCB can also be added to provide more flexibility.

The tone pump is overdrive with a boost, the burn unit is where the TP leaves off it's kind of inbetween overdrive and distortion.

Clips are available on the site.

I had been running the DD as #1 OD mostly clean with a lot of volume like a boost, most of the time the Keeley Rat was #2 and then the Keeley BD2 occupied that spot. After that I bought a BJFE EGDM I thought would be #2 lately it's in the #1 spot and it's moved the DD to higher gain use. I'm going to sell my Direct Drive if you're intrested for probably 80 bucks and go with something different. Either a Honey Bee from BJFE or a Skrew Driver from Skreddy.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Cheers Pac, very helpful.

so the DD can be used as a nice clean boost or just a high gain distorsion device?

how would you describe the overdriven sound of this? TS9 like?

If you do want to sell it i think i would be most interested. they get some great reviews. (if you would ship it to England!)

I was kinda looking into both boost and overdrive boxes in one, ala burn unit / HAO J&H / Diamond (a little too pricey)

Cheers
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Spook Fish wrote:
    Cheers Pac, very helpful.

so the DD can be used as a nice clean boost or just a high gain distorsion device?

how would you describe the overdriven sound of this? TS9 like?

If you do want to sell it i think i would be most interested. they get some great reviews. (if you would ship it to England!)

I was kinda looking into both boost and overdrive boxes in one, ala burn unit / HAO J&H / Diamond (a little too pricey)

Cheers

Yes, the DD is a swiss army knife. You can make it do a lot of stuff. It's very touch sensitive, not as full and rich as BJFE stuff but they are way out of your price range. You might go to http://www.steelbender.com and check out the clips in the steelbender spotlight. It'll give you an example of the possibilities. It does tubescreamer stuff if you want, hot rod TS stuff and slightly hotter than that I won't say dumblesque, instead it's more marshallesque, it's pretty hard to replicate the most famous 20 thousand dollar amp in a 99 dollar package but this gets you in marshall high gain territory in about 3 seconds. With the volume up and the boost down it can easily to Clean Boosting, and crank the gain for more dirty boosting, and the harmonics feature is very nice. The burn unit is very cool it's like a harmonics booster or sustainer. The EQ version adds internal trimmers to get the thing dialed in. I won't sway you if you really want a BU or a Tone Pump.

http://www.steelbender.com/spotlightdirectdrive.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.