Scholz Power Soak / THD Hotplates

Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey Guys, im looking at a Sholtz attentuator on ebay and wondered if it was worth a crack - any one got / used one? i read that they are discontinued & wondered if they are any good and how much would you pay second hand.
the THD Hotplates seem very pricey, and apparently you can change the ohm settings on the sholtz
Dont take drugs and be a loser
wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    have a look at the weber mass and mini mass too.

webervst.com

i used to have a THD hotplate and really liked it but i'm quite happy with my minimass units too. switchable ohms etc.
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    Cheers Exhausted - They certainly are a good price.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah, i ebay'ed my thd and bought 25W and 50W minimasses with some change left over. great little units. paco and house have experience with them as well.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah I use a 16 ohm minimass it does limit the dynamics some what but all attenuators do. No experience with the soak, sorry. Isn't that the guy from Boston?

The mini mass is a good option. Andy Marshall's design (THD) is a very good one. If I played live a lot, I'd probably use it or the Zaite (Dr Z) built Trainwreck technology in his Air Brake.

The Mass is much cheaper. There is one with all the options on The Gear Page for $130. I believe it's 100 watts.

I usually just go amplifier specific it's a bit cheaper. I had Ted build me one at 16 ohms and 18 watts I think the total was maybe 50 bucks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    The weber mass worked great with my Ghia.
    There's No Code.