Is The Rectifier, 5150, or DSL, Or JCM any good?

sadscaryguysadscaryguy Posts: 16
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a question about these amps all my friends have Mesa Boogie Rectifiers or Crate Blue Voodoos or some cheap Marshall MG solid state 2 by 12 combo. I was curious are the mesa boogie rectifiers good amps at all? do they have great power? I know virtually every band today even the classic rock bands use Rectifiers ive never tried it at guitar center they wont let me :( what about the peavy 5150? Which is a beter amp in your opinion the 5150 or The Rectifier or the Marshall JCM and DSL please Give me detail why you think ones better than the other or your own experience with these amps ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think YOU have to try them before you buy. I'm more of a Fender or Traynor guy myself, but out of those, I'd pick the Marshall. I like that sound better than the Mesa or 5150, but thats just me. They are all fantastic amps.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Never heard of Traynor are they any good? Ive never even seen them before my friend was telling me to buy a Soldano i dont even know what those are
    How much money do you have? What kind of sounds are you looking for?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • all i have is a pratice amp atm i want something bigger i want a tone like Metallica, Nirvana, PJ, and Van Halen, and Black Sabbath, and i love the sound of zakk wylde
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It depends on how you use them they are all fine amps, sure you can get those tones from the single double and triple recs if you massage them it just depends on the character you want out of them. IF you want to go a bit cheaper the Mesa F50 will do you right for that stuff. The Mesa Sound is the Mesa sound, take it or leave it, very very heavy preamp influence.

5150's are LOUD as Balls. In the same vein as marshall really.

Marshall MG's are crap and should not be owned by any humans unless you really, really like solid state distortion and shoddy build quality. Static X seem too and that's just fine.

Marshall DSL and TSL's will get you that sound, pretty good amps, I'd probably go used, since there's nothing special about new ones. If you Love Zack W and Pearl Jam etc you'll enjoy the JCM 800 and 900's, but since you're in California, why not check out the Carvin Master Tube Series amps.

They are essentially the basic Marshall DSL design some will have 6L6's which are looser in the bass response than EL34's and a few may have 5881's which the peaveys run, it depends on what particular spice suits you they all sound good.

Carvins will save you a few hundred bucks. Thousands of amps will do those sounds though, it often depends on how in love you are with the looks and the name plate.

Cheers, P

The worst two series of amps I've ever, ever come in contact with are the Fender Dyna Touch series (minus the stage 100 which is a decent clean amp) and the Marshall MG's. They are suitable as paperweights, but that's about it. Turning them on is not recomended.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    If you Love Zack W and Pearl Jam etc you'll enjoy the JCM 800 and 900's, but since you're in California, why not check out the Carvin Master Tube Series amps.

They are essentially the basic Marshall DSL design some will have 6L6's which are looser in the bass response than EL34's and a few may have 5881's which the peaveys run, it depends on what particular spice suits you they all sound good.

Carvins will save you a few hundred bucks. Thousands of amps will do those sounds though, it often depends on how in love you are with the looks and the name plate.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I have a MTS3200 and it is a great amp. They also just recently came out with the V3 line...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I was going to suggest the same thing. I have a MTS3200 and it is a great amp. They also just recently came out with the V3 line...

cool, I haven't seen the V3 line yet. The new one's look nice too.

my buddy has an old 100 watt 6L6 carpeted version with the graphic EQ that we would blast in the crawl space under their house. Ear Plugs Kids. Ear Plugs. ... :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.

How do you like that amp? I was thinking of ordering it but am leery of buying before trying.
  • How do you like that amp? I was thinking of ordering it but am leery of buying before trying.

I was a bit leery as well, but decided to get it anyway since I had previously bought a Carvin guitar which I really like.

The amp itself has great clean tone, and the overdrive channel is nice as well. You can opt to shut off half of the output tubes which brings the headroom down some. Even still, I don't think I've had it turned up past 2, and the notes just keep ringing. Great harmonics. I have no complaints at all.

They do have a 10 day, no questions asked return policy or something like that, if you don't like it.