FINALLY did it/Thank you

stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
after asking tons of questions and deliberating what guitar to get, I'm happy to say I just got bought a beautiful Breedlove AD20 acoustic. Thanks for giving me the confidence to go out and get a guitar. knowing you're all here makes this a lot easier for me. and you can all definitely expect a tons of more questions :)

like this one, what's the best place to start?! oh btw, not sure if it matters, I also play the bass so I know the basic scales (only 4 strings tho lmao)
6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Congrats, I recently bought a Breedlove 12 string.
    The place to start is with a teacher.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    Congrats, I recently bought a Breedlove 12 string.
    The place to start is with a teacher.

I need to find someone reputable. definitely want to a get a teacher, maybe in January when Saturdays aren't so busy around here.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    stylo17 wrote:
    I need to find someone reputable. definitely want to a get a teacher, maybe in January when Saturdays aren't so busy around here.

Step 1 - Learn the basic chords... (E, G ect ) On your own. simply google "E chord" and ull get a picture. Learn that, and then practice chord switches.I am the worst guitar player ever (and a girl so my finger size hinders me from doing ALOT correctly) but i found the best way was just to sit down and take matters into my own hands. I got to go at my own pace and ended up learning alot more quickly because of it. After you have mastered the basics, id suggest going to a teacher to learn the tougher stuff (ie, bar chords) but once a week for a couple of months is all you should need.. TOPS. Plus its not the cheapest in the world ;)

Fender put out a great dvd , GETTING STARTED ON GUITAR- Tuning, techniques and essential chords. Its a great, 'go at your own pace' and its basically like sitting with a teacher except for the obvious. Not sure if this came with a guitar of mine at some point or if you can pick it up somewhere, but its definately worth picking up if you so happen to stumble upon it;)

Glad you started with an acoustic..tis the best. its frustrating at times (alot harder to control vs the electric) but if you learn properly on that, you'll be able to play anything and whenever you pick up an electric, you'll feel like a master mind :D
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    stylo17 wrote:
    I GOT THE BREEDLOVE!!! she's beautiful. listed price was $929 and on sale at $699. I saw it and I asked a manager why it was so different from the online price. he scanned the barcode and it came out to $325 :D I got it with a really nice hard case. got a pick and a capo, in total came out to like $4-something.

the manager told me to go back tomorrow and they'll change the strings and show me for free.

thanks so much dude, you and everyone on the pit have given me the confidence to get it. and she felt so perfect and SMOOTH in my hands.

by the way, they didn't have the Custom Lights, but they had D'Addario Phosphor Bronze (12's) and the Elixir Lights (not Custom) that they recommended to me. what do you think? and now that I've got this badboy, where do you recommend I START?! :D
    Glad I could help . . .
    Out of the 3 I suggested you look at, the Breedlove was the one I was kind of pushing you toward the most.
    I replied to your PM with this:

GREAT - What store did you get it at - Guitar Center?
    Get the Elixir's, they're smoother and softer feeling.
    You can always order custom lights from a catalog or just try another store sometime.
    Where to start - depends how serious you are.
    A few lessons are always a good thing because they get you started and show you proper technique, so you don't develop bad habits in the beginning (I give lessons when I'm not recording) - Just make sure they're a qualified instructor (music student or music degree). Just because someone's been playing a long time or teaching a long time, or is a good player doesn't mean that they're a qualified instructor.
    If you don't want to go the instructor route, print out the chord sheet of mine that's posted on here, and start with a few easy songs that you like from magazines or books.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    stylo17 wrote:
    after asking tons of questions and deliberating what guitar to get, I'm happy to say I just got bought a beautiful Breedlove AD20 acoustic. Thanks for giving me the confidence to go out and get a guitar. knowing you're all here makes this a lot easier for me. and you can all definitely expect a tons of more questions :)

like this one, what's the best place to start?! oh btw, not sure if it matters, I also play the bass so I know the basic scales (only 4 strings tho lmao)
    Nice work amigo. Congrat on the purchase! Fun times ahead. Practice, passion and perserverence. That's all you need ;)

Because i'm lazy, i am just gonna paste what i typed for someone a few weeks ago who had a similar question..

I'm not sure how much you already know so i'm sorry if i say things that you are already aware of.

If you are just learning, then these are excellent excercises to build up strength in your fingers. They might seem hard at first, but keep practicing and it will become easier.
    theres this clip to watch it might help
    http://www.guitarz-for-ever.com/guit...exercises.html

If you are able to swing it, i would suggest that you take some lessons from a teacher or another player. they can show you things in minutes compared to hours of reading and working out on your own.

also, check http://www.giventowail.com because it's the best site available for pj tabs and if you look to the left, they have an excellent section on lessons, and it also goes through tunings. it's easy to read and not to over the top.
    http://www.giventowail.com/lessons/beginners.php

this is an excellent basic cords chart. (one of the regular posters here has posted this in the past and it is very good)
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/CHORDS.jpg

also, invaluable for a new player. (i wish this would be made a sticky for all the new guys.)
    from ian (ianvomsaal) one of the most experienced posters here

Chord Chart - http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/CHORDS.jpg

Chord Theory - http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/ChordExplination-1.jpg

Scales & Modes - http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/Scales--Modes-Diagrams-Fingerings.jpg

Best of luck buddy.