'59 Gibson, '59 Les Paul.............etc.

stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
how is it that today's guitarists get these guitars? are they really that old or what do they do??
6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BLING BLING

...for the most part
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • I agree...

BLING BLING!!!!

Notice how Mike and Stone aren't walking around with ice around their necks and grillz in their mouths....though that'd be funny....what what!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I agree...

BLING BLING!!!!

Notice how Mike and Stone aren't walking around with ice around their necks and grillz in their mouths....though that'd be funny....what what!

Exactly. Instead of a giant iced out emblem with their initials or symbol on it like rappers, they sport 50 yr old pieces of wood that cost the same price but actually serve a purpose.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I don't think anybody get 59 Les Pauls anymore. There can't be many of them left. Wasnt there only 150 or so made?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    stylo17 wrote:
    how is it that today's guitarists get these guitars? are they really that old or what do they do??

be rich.

be lucky and have picked them up before the vintage market went apeshit.

buy the reissues.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    There was about 1800 sunburst Les PAul's made between 1958 and 1960. There are still many around, and they can be bought for about $300K approx.
    However, what you are probably seeing are Gibson Custom Shop Reissue Historics, which are made to spec, and cpome in either shiny gloss, VOS, Custom Authentic or Murphy aged forms, depending on teh year, and model etc.
    I have two of these, and they are easily the best GIbson guitars you can buy today. There are also a slew of Custom runs from different times from Gibson, and replica makers which look and play like '59 bursts.
    MIke has a couple of Histprics listed on his gear list at GTW, but no original burtts that I know of. I'm happy to stand corrected there.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    There was about 1800 sunburst Les PAul's made between 1958 and 1960. There are still many around, and they can be bought for about $300K approx.
    However, what you are probably seeing are Gibson Custom Shop Reissue Historics, which are made to spec, and cpome in either shiny gloss, VOS, Custom Authentic or Murphy aged forms, depending on teh year, and model etc.
    I have two of these, and they are easily the best GIbson guitars you can buy today. There are also a slew of Custom runs from different times from Gibson, and replica makers which look and play like '59 bursts.
    MIke has a couple of Histprics listed on his gear list at GTW, but no original burtts that I know of. I'm happy to stand corrected there.

awesome. thanks a lot.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
    stylo17 wrote:
    awesome. thanks a lot.

If you go to http://www.lespaulforum.com , you can inform yourself to your heart's delight.

Mike has a 59 Paul. One of the most "loved" Les Pauls I have ever seen. Dents and scratches and not stock screws that dont fit.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Mike has a 59 Paul. One of the most "loved" Les Pauls I have ever seen. Dents and scratches and not stock screws that dont fit.

I was just going off the gear list at GTW. I have read he owns a few hundred guitars, and there are only 20 or so listed , so obviously lots of holes. Do you have a link to a pic of his original burst ?? I would be very interested to see that. I might ask on the Vintage section of the LPF as well, someone there may have a pic.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    I was just going off the gear list at GTW. I have read he owns a few hundred guitars, and there are only 20 or so listed , so obviously lots of holes. Do you have a link to a pic of his original burst ?? I would be very interested to see that. I might ask on the Vintage section of the LPF as well, someone there may have a pic.
    just type in mccready on the search box in the LPF theres a whole thread on his 59
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    I have just done some research.
    This thread

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92544

has pics of Mike's burst and some comments on various parts etc.
  • I have just done some research.
    This thread

haha, i read the whole thread on the les paul forum and saw that it was 2 years old and then i scrolled down and somebody says... "you resurrected a 2 year old thread to say that?" and they quoted the guy who resurected the thread... someone on here? haha
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
    Nah, I posted a thraed asking about Mike's burst and a guy asnwered with a link. The ther guy must have clicked on it.

Good read about the burst though. Funny, it's not on the GTW list, considering it's such a significant guitar.
    And since Mike talks about his 59 tatoo in the new dvd. It's his favorite year of guitar.
    OK dumb question time.
    Is there a new DVD ??
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yes Mike does has a nice Les Paul (I doubt it's seen a stage much).
    Even with a few unoriginal parts it's still a sweet axe: Mike's 1959 Les Paul

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I have just done some research.
    This thread

some nice pics there of mike and his burst. very nice indeed.
    some of the comments in relation to the various parts are retarded. (the comments about the rounded inlays and the TRC being in the wrong spot).....so?????????

like hello, i'm mike mccready and you're not. get over it.

i don't think i'll be joining that forum any time real soon.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Yes Mike does has a nice Les Paul (I doubt it's seen a stage much).
    Even with a few unoriginal parts it's still a sweet axe: Mike's 1959 Les Paul

- Ian

I am pretty sure he plays it live
  • OK dumb question time.
    Is there a new DVD ??

Yes.

"Immagine In Cornice: Picture In A Frame"

Get it immediately. I think it is the best one yet.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    some nice pics there of mike and his burst. very nice indeed.
    some of the comments in relation to the various parts are retarded. (the comments about the rounded inlays and the TRC being in the wrong spot).....so?????????

like hello, i'm mike mccready and you're not. get over it.

i don't think i'll be joining that forum any time real soon.

Now now gurl, don't be too harsh. The LPF is actually a very friendly place and incredibly informative. While there is a small proportion of screw counter with micrometers and voltmeteres that obsess over everything, most folk there are very friendly.
    Those comments were very tongue-in-cheek humour directed at Historics owners who feel their Historic is not perfect until they have made it identical to the idealised burst. They were kinda actually pointing out that the original bursts were far fom perfectly manufactured, and that things like the 1mm gap between the nut and the TRC on modern LP's is hardly worth the effort people put into it.
    Trust me, in the Vintage section there, they LOVE those old bursts more than their own children.
    Now now gurl, don't be too harsh. The LPF is actually a very friendly place and incredibly informative. While there is a small proportion of screw counter with micrometers and voltmeteres that obsess over everything, most folk there are very friendly.
    Those comments were very tongue-in-cheek humour directed at Historics owners who feel their Historic is not perfect until they have made it identical to the idealised burst. They were kinda actually pointing out that the original bursts were far fom perfectly manufactured, and that things like the 1mm gap between the nut and the TRC on modern LP's is hardly worth the effort people put into it.
    Trust me, in the Vintage section there, they LOVE those old bursts more than their own children.

i know what they were pointing out, i just thought they were overly anal. but to be fair i should not judge a whole forum on one thread alone. i'll say it again too, those pictures of mikes burst were awesome. a couple of them i have never seen before. very cool indeed. thank's for the advice lucylespian.
    There has been another pic of Mike playing his burst in Portugal posted on that thread.

He is pushing a massive bend. The high E is nearly over where the A lives wiht all the strings scrunched.

A very cool pic !!
    hehe that's just all kinds of awesome! Thanks!
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    i know what they were pointing out, i just thought they were overly anal. .
    they were mainly joking, like lucyles said
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go

• Okay what thickness of strings does Mike use...

because if there anything above .10s, thats insane.

Or maybe I break my strings too easily.
    1 Of The 6 Cumbrians On The Board!
    Okay what thickness of strings does Mike use...

http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Okay what thickness of strings does Mike use...

Pretty sure he uses .10's but used to use .11's. Gary Moore does some crazy string bends and of course SRV did also but he used .13's!!!
  • Okay what thickness of strings does Mike use...

ghs .10's...same as what I use. he used to use 9's as well
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy