Anyone recommend PA for basement rehearsals?

PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I dont know jack about Pa's...just need something powerful enough to be heard over drums (loud) good sound with a few basic effects....ie reverb

under $1,000
If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    just get yourself a little mixer, power amp and headphone amp and a few sets of headphones....mic the vocals, bass drum, bass guitar, and guitar

if you want more than 4 tracks, go for it!

should cost ya less than 1000 that way without losing your hearing!
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yamaha do some great PA's under that wiht built in mixer etc
    Music is not a competetion.
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I dont know jack about Pa's...just need something powerful enough to be heard over drums (loud) good sound with a few basic effects....ie reverb

under $1,000

Pedals cost more: I found an effects board for $40 that plugs into the amp (and anything else, including your stereo if you have the adapter jacks)...it's got everything you could want. You have to turn the knobs by hand, instead of pushing the pedal by foot but that's the only drawback.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • I was goign to suggest the same thing. Small mixer, headphone amp, Mix the guitars, bass, vocal, maybe a over head on the drums.

Much cheaper and easier on the ears then a practice pa. Oh and it's not taking up space on the floor.

Nothing worse then falling over a floor monitor. Been there done that.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    soundcraft gigrac 300 is the perfect powered mixer for that.

A couple of 10" or 12" PA speakers (Yamaha IV's are nice and economical and good sounding)

A couple of Mic Stands and either Sennheiser 835's for vocals or the world standard SM58's and SM57's from shure.

Done.

Sennheisers are a little cheaper than shure but they still sound great.

Hypercardioid pattern mics (Sure Beta 58 etc) work well in areas with a lot of noise because of thier tight pickup pattern.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    thanks for ideas so far.

As far as the headphone route, even though it is the most logical...isn't going to fly with the guitarist/singer. The singer is buying it and would also use it for other situations, like parties, etc.

I was considering the Yamaha Stagepas300 for $550 with an effects board($99) and a decent mic.

Space is precious but not the deciding factor. We just need something decent and can be heard over unmic'd drums. Anybody have any >personal< experience with Kustom brand? They get great reviews on Musicians friend, is it bang for the buck or garbage we would most likely regret buying?

Also, we would be using this for drunken live band neighborhood/friends "karaoke" on weekends
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    I have lots of experience with the Custom Profile One.

The stage pass is a lot higher quality but the Kustom isn't a bad system. Especially the new one with more power.

I personally think it lacks ummph. We use it only for vocal reproduction in Bars for my Radio Station promotions. If you take care of it (IE it's not abused by retarded interns which ours certainly is) it's a useable system, it's just that the profile one lacks significant power. It's very comparable to the Fender P150 system also with small line array speakers. The lack of power and small speakers also do not do well for bass reproduction but it works fine for vocals. It will definately work in your context it's just better in my opinion to have more power and thus clarity than less than you need.

When My buddys from Guitar Center and I used to jam in their crawlspace we had a Carvin 100 watt head and 4x12 and a full set of drums and I a Rogue (MF) roller PA that worked, but just not that well. (mainly because that's way to much sound for that tiny space.)

If you're going to use it at parties too, you might as well find something with at least 300 watts like the stage pass or gig rack and some reasonably sized speakers since a subwoofer probably isn't in the budget yet.

I'd hold off on the effects unit until you play with the ones on the mixer first.

When buying it, if you can take an hour or two and listen to several brands of speakers, mic's what it sounds like with recorded music.... that helps your decision. You can decide on where you can go cheaper and still get the features and quality you want.

I'd go better mixer and cheaper speakers to start.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    thanks pacomc79

He has some old speakers from back in the day we used to use. I told him kind of what you are saying...put more into the mixer/amp and upgrade speakers later. Problem is, he kind of needs to get it all at once.

We were leaning towards this
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KPM8420T-KPC215H-PA-Package?sku=630570

but what about this?
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-PA-KPM8420-PA-Package?sku=630544

hahaha or what about this>
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-8FXYamaha-BR15-System?sku=603240

damn and I thought choosing my drums was a bitch.....
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    allen and heath PA cp12 (well i am biased) great powered small mixer.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    kigcat wrote:
    allen and heath PA cp12 (well i am biased) great powered small mixer.

absolutely A&H is awesome, I appoligise for the Soundraft mention but I really do like the two units I work with regularly. ;)

I wish I had the change for a mixwizard. You guys have great preamps and EQ's.

Patrick, the Alesis rig looks very nice. THat would be the one I'd choose. If there is a local shop around that has them in stock It's worth a trip to try things out, and you can hang out in the drums while he does it. :D The speakers are nice, there is plenty of power and the mics are hypercardioid also it's got a nice set of effects, as that is alesis forte anyhow.
    It came down to those two I mentioned....I agree and suggested he go with the Alesis package. We'll see which one he chooses. (his girlfriend is buying it for him)

thanks for comments!
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    absolutely A&H is awesome, I appoligise for the Soundraft mention but I really do like the two units I work with regularly. ;)

I wish I had the change for a mixwizard. You guys have great preamps and EQ's.

great pre-amps.... yeah for the end user, but dealing with em when they just wanna pop and bang and grumble due to faulty transistors or diodes thats when i really hate em haha. That said our new I-live all digital console is scarily quiet at full gain even without a load on its inputs.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    guitarists has a problem with these 2 packages being mono not stereo?..and is pushing for the Kustom because "bigger is always better"....."those 4-15's will never blow!!".............oh boy