Playing Tonight!

One Song GloryOne Song Glory Posts: 710
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just getting out some pre-performance jitters here. I've only ever played one song in front of a real audience before (Thumbing My Way), and that was two years ago. I didn't have to sing or anything either, cuz I was playing with my friends in a Pearl Jam tribute band. This is my second week at Carleton University in Ottawa and they're hosting a residence coffeehouse thingy tonight. Being quite stupid, I signed up to play and then I realized that unless I played something fairly technical, I pretty much have to sing. It's just gonna be me up there or I would totally play something like Alive, but without another guitar or drums even, I can't really do a solo, and there's no way I could sing that one anyway. I'm not a horrible singer, but I definitely DON'T sing in public, so this will be a very interesting first try. I'm planning on doing Long Road, Peace on Earth (U2, don't slam me) and Knockin' on Heaven's Door as a sort of tribute to the 9/11 victims. Freaking out a little, wondering if I'll forget all the words, but I'm going through with it. I might skip the U2 song if I get too nervous cuz it's the one I've played least, but the other two I should be fine with. Kinda wishing I could show off my guitar playing skills a little more than these songs, but I don't think I wanna get in too far over my head. Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
2003: Toronto
2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
2006: Toronto 1 & 2
2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
2010: Buffalo
2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
2016: Toronto 1 & 2
2022: Hamilton/Toronto
2023: EV Seattle 1&2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I was reading this and in the corner of my eye I saw you put 9/11 and Long Road was the first thing I thought of. Don't skip the U2 song, I love that song :D
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Fuckin' right!

Residence was awesome when I lived there two years ago. Did a couple coffee houses myself. They're super relaxed and everyone is really supportive.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • Just getting out some pre-performance jitters here. I've only ever played one song in front of a real audience before (Thumbing My Way), and that was two years ago. I didn't have to sing or anything either, cuz I was playing with my friends in a Pearl Jam tribute band. This is my second week at Carleton University in Ottawa and they're hosting a residence coffeehouse thingy tonight. Being quite stupid, I signed up to play and then I realized that unless I played something fairly technical, I pretty much have to sing. It's just gonna be me up there or I would totally play something like Alive, but without another guitar or drums even, I can't really do a solo, and there's no way I could sing that one anyway. I'm not a horrible singer, but I definitely DON'T sing in public, so this will be a very interesting first try. I'm planning on doing Long Road, Peace on Earth (U2, don't slam me) and Knockin' on Heaven's Door as a sort of tribute to the 9/11 victims. Freaking out a little, wondering if I'll forget all the words, but I'm going through with it. I might skip the U2 song if I get too nervous cuz it's the one I've played least, but the other two I should be fine with. Kinda wishing I could show off my guitar playing skills a little more than these songs, but I don't think I wanna get in too far over my head. Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sweet! Another Ottawa Jammer! I'm in Kanata and go to A.Y. I have a couple people I know that go to Carleton. Tell me about the next show and I'll be there!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • you're probably playing as i type, but i hope everything went good
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • Hey guys, back now. It went pretty well, a little bumpy at the beginning of Peace on Earth but everybody seemed to like it. That's awesome to see a fellow "Raven" on here, and other Ottawa people too! There seem to be quite a few jammers around here, and there's definitely a lifesize stickman painted in the tunnels. Anyway, so glad I did it and I met a lot of other musicians too. Maybe I'll have to try it again next time and actually take the time to figure out how to sing along to something a little more technical. Catch y'all later!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • I'm glad it went well. Like I said, tell me when/where you play next.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V