What's the deal with Maxon effect pedals?

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
They're a knock off of most of the Ibanez pedals, but are the any good? Some of them run in the price range of 150-250, which seems pretty high for an imitation pedal. Has anyone ever played with these?

The one I was looking at in particular is the Sonic Distortion. I saw in a gear diagram that Stone used/was using a Ibanez Sonic Distortion, and I came across the Maxon version.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    maxon made the original ibanez pedals. when the contract ran out or whatever, they started making them under their own name. the maxons are more expensive because they're superior in quality of construction and components used.

i've compared the ibanez and maxons for both the TS9 and SD9. the maxons are better to my ears.

worth comparing head to head.
  • Ah, I see.

I thought they were just cheap Chinese knockoffs taking advantage of discontinued Ibanex pedals by making their price just slightly lower than the price of a Ibanez one on Ebay or whatnot.

:)
  • Yah,

I just got me a maxon AD-9 delay. The comparison there is the ibanez goes for 140US amd the Maxon for 300US new.

The other pedals all don't have this huge different in price
    the Maxon delays have a very good reputation in general. They have a 600 and 900 second analog delay, which are both also apparently road worthy. All 3 true bypass. They also have the Maxon Ad-80 (similar the the old ibanez ad80) but it is not true bypass and goes for 275US new.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Yah,

I just got me a maxon AD-9 delay.

lucky bastard.

how drippy yummy is that ? ? ?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.buildyourownclone.com/delay.html

you can also build your own clone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the big cost difference in the modulations and delays with maxon is due to the fact that they've used the good IC chips in their circuits. the ibanez pedals use less expensive chinese made chips. the maxon chips, in some cases, aren't even made any more.

with the AD999, they went as far as getting new chips made after their supply of old stock ran out.

and they charge a premium for it.

the 9 series maxon pedals have this one quirk that really bugs me. when disengaging the effect, it only turns off after releasing the footswitch, unlike pretty much every other pedal out there. really annoying but a quirk in the switch design they use to achieve true bypass.
  • the maxon SD-9 is amazing
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore