I have band rehersal on Sunday.

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
First one since last February. Also the first one since I picked up a bunch of pedals, did a type style and swap, and since I bought my '57 RI strat.

I can't wait to try all this stuff out in a band setting. I feel terrible for my band though. I haven't had ANY time to learn the new songs they want to play, so I hope to god they just want to rehash old material until the next time, so that I can actually practice and learn the new material.

Life is busy as hell right now. No time for anything. Some days I just want to sit down and fall asleep forever.

:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I hear you man. Since school started again I haven't had more than 20 minutes a day, if that, with my guitar. It's frustrating.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Ok, the results are in:

Pretty much, I was extremely impressed by the Fulldrive and my strat at practice. The fulldrive, combined with a loud clean tube amp pretty much covers any sound you'd like to achieve. The fulldrive set for TS-9 into the dirty channel really boosts the saturation while retaining the qualities of the guitar. Pretty much, I was achieving a lot of Pearl Jam tones, but using them for classic rock covers. I only used the amp's dirt channel for Kiss' Rock and Roll All Night, because I wanted bit more saturation so that my wah would just destroy the solo, which I'm happy to report it did.

The Fulldrive set for FM mode gave me the tone for Free's All Right Now that I was looking for all last year, but couldn't get through my amp's OD. I am extremely happy with this.

The strat is far more versatile than I thought it would be. I didn't even have to open the Les Paul case (even for the Zep covers). I found myself using positions 2 and 4 with the tone slightly turned down most of the time. This gives a thick strat sound, and I was really digging it. We ran through Hendrix's 'Fire' once, and the strat was just on fire for that one.

The amp, running two EL84s and two 6L6's sounded great too. Lots of chime with the tone controls wide open, and extremely raunchy and angry with a TS-9 boost. Sounded the best that it probably ever has. Even with the reduced wattage from the Yellow Jacket convertors, there was absolutely no loss of volume. In fact, I had it lower than normal, and it was still cutting through.

I was extremely impressed with the band too. Everyone seems to have really improved since the last practice (8 months ago), and the new guitar player fit in just fine. We ran through our old set start to finish, and only had a few issues at most. Sure it wasn't as tight as it could have been, but this is practice #1!!!!

I was also very satisfied with my playing. I think (know) I play WAY better when my gear is working out for me and I'm getting the tones I which to achieve.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    If I were in a band, I'd just copy licks from songs that my bandmates have never heard before. Then they'd think I was a genius!

But I'm glad it went well for you.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Nice Dirty, let us hear some shit when you get some!! Good luck to you!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My favourite way to start a band practice is with a jam. Just some funk or blues.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V