I should really introduce myself!

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been posting at this board I think since about July, and I know nothing about the musicians here!

I'll let you know who I am! :)

My real name is Matt and I'm 19 years old from London Ontario, Canada.
I'm a student working towards a honours double major in environment and resource management and bioarchaeological anthropology at the University of Western Ontario here in London. My life goal is help solve the problems associated with the world's growing population and the problems associated with it (education, healthcare and the environment). I'm working full time at my school for the summer in a isotope lab preparing ancient maya teeth for isotopic analysis.

I've been playing guitar since the end of grade 8 when I was 14. My brother gave me his old tape copy of TEN because he got a CD of it (finally). I knew a few tracks from the radio, but I switched on Why Go, and the guitar solo had me absolutely hooked! I took up guitar and my goal was to learn how to play that solo! Eventually I could. It's been just over 5 years now that I've been playing.

I've gone through a lot of gear over the years, but I can genuinely say that I am happy with what I have now. I play a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus and a Traynor YVC80 amplifier. I've modded it with Paul Reed Smith pickups; HFS in the bridge and Vintage Bass in the neck. I have a matching traynor extension cabinet, but I only use it when playing live.

My pedal collection consists of a Boss TU-2 tuner, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustainer, Boss GE-7 EQ, MXR Distortion+, MXR Phase 90 and Snarling Dogs Black Bawl WAH!. I rarely use the pedals, but they come out for gigs.

I've played in several bands, some wastes of time and two pretty good band. My first was when I was 14 and only playing for 2 months. We played a few small school related gigs. Our drummer was 23 and we were 14, it was something else!

After this band broke up, I formed a new band with a few other friends of mine. This was when I was 17. We played fundraisers, benefits, bar gigs, you name it, aside of arena rock shows! (although we were invited to play a local one but it was shortly after we broke up so I could go to school). We played originals and covers. It was a band of misfits. Our singer was a 22 year old coke fiend, the drummer was his 15 year old brother. The rhythm player dropped out of school and went to become a lumberjack of all things! My bass player and I are close. He's going to school for chemistry and you know my story.

Here's is my Soundclick page. These clips aren't great, but they're alright, so I figure I could put them up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=384768

The 1st clip is part of the very first song I wrote with my latter band. Written by everyone, it is supposed to be an instrumental. We used it to open shows.

The 2nd clip is one I recorded when I first got my new computer about 2 weeks ago, just to see what I could do with the built in mic. It is what it is.

Tell me about yourself too! I'm interested in who hangs out here! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey Matt,

I grew up in St. Thomas. Whats up!!!

Your quite the lead player!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hi Matt, whilst in London check out http://www.londonpower.com Outstanding amps built in your back yard.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Hey Matt,

I grew up in St. Thomas. Whats up!!!

Your quite the lead player!

Not too much dude. I actually grew up in Strathroy! I live here now though because if you've ever been to Strathroy...
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I lived in Detroit for 3 years, and since you guys sell your garbage to us that makes us kinda sorta nieghbors :)
    Been to Ontario a couple times, cool town, great strip clubs LOL. Most of the Detroit kids spend their weekends their LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board