Strat users, I need help!

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello,

I'm buying an American Strat and I've decided on the 3 tone sunburst American standard. What I am not sure about is the differences between the rosewood and maple fretboard. All of the guitars I have ever owned have had rosewood or ebony fretboards. Normally, I would just play the guitar myself to test it out, but the shop I'm buying from only has the rosewood one in stock, and it is just beautiful. I've never owned a guitar with a Maple board.

Does the maple board feel harder than the rosewood board, and if so, how does this affect the playability and tonality of the guitar?

Esthetically, I prefer the maple board on the 3 tone sunburst strat, but if it is going to sound worse or make bending and such more difficult, then I will go with the rosewood board guitar I already played. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    neither is wrong really.

Rosewood is softer and slightly warmer with more mids.

The maple is harder and brighter.

It can also depend on the wood in the body as well. Ash is harder and brighter, Alder is more of a do everything wood. I think it's pretty warm but not as mid heavy as most mahogany.

Just as a heads up there is a gorgeous highly customised 3 color sunburst American Strat at The gear page with a mint green guard, upgraded hipshot bridge, Suhr V60 Lo Peak pickups and a rosewood board listed for $850. The pickups would run you close to $300.

I think I now actually prefer rosewood, but I like them both.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    this is the same dilemma i toyed with for months. I ended up getting a rosewood board and i love it :D They actually sent me the wrong one to start with originally and sent me one with a maple neck (which was lovely haha) but sent me the correct one the next day :) i just find that aesthetically i prefer the look and feel of a rosewood on a 3 tone strat over maple but i do love the maple neck on my tele :)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • personal preference, i like maple for certain things, and rosewood or mahogany for others. But maple for me. I think you have to try them out.
  • Maple will have a dramatically different feel compared to rosewood or ebony. It tends to be a bit faster but less forgiving, and a lot slicker, which can help and can hurt as well. My opinion is that you should stick with the rosewood, since you're already used to the feel, but if you REALLY want the maple, be prepared to spend time getting used to it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.