I bought another SD-1.

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Couldn't control my spontaneous gas. Ended up buying another SD-1 with the plan of blending the two together. One as a straight up OD, and the other as a volume and saturation boost. Seems alright so far. I might have to get these two made into true bypass pedals though.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ehh, it's not too great.

Oh well!
  • does it have enough volume to be a good boost?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • It has more than enough volume to act as a boost when combined with the other SD-1. It just doesn't sound all that great. It gets extremely muddy, even with the drive zeroed. The tone control is hard to get a good sound out of too.

So far in this experience:

One SD-1= RAWK
    Two SD-1= :(
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    assuming your amp is close to saturated, try the boosting pedal after the overdriving one.
  • exhausted wrote:
    assuming your amp is close to saturated, try the boosting pedal after the overdriving one.

Late response on my part....

I used the pedal combination in a number of different settings. I always put the boost function after the Overdrive or distortion function.

1.) Clean amp with 1 box set to create mild overdrive and another one to give it a bit of a boost for lead.

This sounds alright, but I already do this with the amp's lead channel all the time, and it doesn't sound anywhere near as natural as the amp does.

2.) Dirt channel of amp with one SD box set for mild OD. This sounds pretty good by itself for Brain of J sorts of tones. I added the other SD box with the overdrive set at nil, the volume set at 10 and the tone at 4. This just muddies up the whole chain. Usually, one SD box in this setting with the amp set at higher gain will clean up the whole circuit. This does not.

3.) Two SD boxes set at low gain, and mid volume.

This does nothing overly spectacular. It doesn't muddy up too much, but it doesn't sound that great either.

One SD box with the amp's dirt channel is essentially heaven. It works really well with the Shannon box as well. My overdrive channel setting is usually set with a mild overdrive, and I add either an SD box or the Shannon Distortion depending on what sort of tone I want to get out of it. The SD---> Amp combo is good for Zep type stuff and newer PJ, while I prefer the Shannon box---> amp combo for say Kiss and older PJ.

I'm going to hang on to the other SD1 box though. My older one is going on 6 years and it has taken some serious gig abuse. Who knows when it'll just fall apart.

:)
  • Late response on my part....

I used the pedal combination in a number of different settings. I always put the boost function after the Overdrive or distortion function.

1.) Clean amp with 1 box set to create mild overdrive and another one to give it a bit of a boost for lead.

This sounds alright, but I already do this with the amp's lead channel all the time, and it doesn't sound anywhere near as natural as the amp does.

2.) Dirt channel of amp with one SD box set for mild OD. This sounds pretty good by itself for Brain of J sorts of tones. I added the other SD box with the overdrive set at nil, the volume set at 10 and the tone at 4. This just muddies up the whole chain. Usually, one SD box in this setting with the amp set at higher gain will clean up the whole circuit. This does not.

3.) Two SD boxes set at low gain, and mid volume.

This does nothing overly spectacular. It doesn't muddy up too much, but it doesn't sound that great either.

One SD box with the amp's dirt channel is essentially heaven. It works really well with the Shannon box as well. My overdrive channel setting is usually set with a mild overdrive, and I add either an SD box or the Shannon Distortion depending on what sort of tone I want to get out of it. The SD---> Amp combo is good for Zep type stuff and newer PJ, while I prefer the Shannon box---> amp combo for say Kiss and older PJ.

I'm going to hang on to the other SD1 box though. My older one is going on 6 years and it has taken some serious gig abuse. Who knows when it'll just fall apart.

:)

I'll take the SD-1 when your done with 'er Dirty!! ;)

Let me know :) $$$$$$$$$
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.