I need help! Recording/tab issue.

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I've been working on recording Alice in Chain's Whale and Wasp. The problem is that the tab I used turned out that they had all of the chord changes wrong and I need to correct this. I need the correct tab! Normally I'd do it by ear, but for some reason I just can't seem to get it myself.

I spent a lot of time doing the backing track only to find out it was wrong.

I was recording it, and then just went off on an improv spree because I wasn't going to just throw it away. If someone could get me the CORRECT tab for Whale and Wasp, that would be great! Especially if the pitch shifting is included.

BTW: I posted my 'version' as it stands now. It's posted as "Kind of Whale and Wasp" http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=384768

Also, if someone could listen to 'How to this be completed' and tell me how, that would be great.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ok, so I've been working on recording Alice in Chain's Whale and Wasp. The problem is that the tab I used turned out that they had all of the chord changes wrong and I need to correct this. I need the correct tab! Normally I'd do it by ear, but for some reason I just can't seem to get it myself.

I spent a lot of time doing the backing track only to find out it was wrong.

I was recording it, and then just went off on an improv spree because I wasn't going to just throw it away. If someone could get me the CORRECT tab for Whale and Wasp, that would be great! Especially if the pitch shifting is included.

BTW: I posted my 'version' as it stands now. It's posted as "Kind of Whale and Wasp" http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=384768

Also, if someone could listen to 'How to this be completed' and tell me how, that would be great.

http://www.911tabs.com/tabs/a/alice_in_chains/whale_and_wasp_tab.htm
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • Yeah, the majority of the ones posted on there is the same one I used. It's not right.
  • are you detuned by a half step on each string?

AIC, like GnR, and some other bands (often Hendrix, and Sabbath) play 99% of their songs with every string dropped down a half step.

i learned Whale And Wasp off of tab, and didnt have any problems.

I also didn't find there to really be any "chord" changes, per se.

it's a lot of finger picking, and a bunch of crazy riffage done a'la strings ... lots of crazy-space-guitar effects added.

however, i did check the tabs on the net, and they have changed since i learned it.

instead of playing it the way they show it with the low notes constantly repeated try it something like this (this is from memory, bare with me):
    [in some of these the open sounds "right" on the G string, in some it's the D string, but i'm at work so i can't test it for you. play to the tune, you'll get it]

Eb---6
    Bb
    Gb
    Db
    Ab
    Eb---6

Eb---5
    Bb
    Gb
    Db
    Ab
    Eb---5

Then, when you play that out right, with maybe some more of the picking around the G (3 on the E string) in between ... go to the ascending piece...

slide this up to 11 then down to 3
    Eb---3
    //-11---\\---3
    Bb
    8//
    Gb
    Db
    Ab
    Eb---3
    //-11----\\--3

That is roughly the way i learned it.
    maybe it sounds more correct to you than the newer tabs are showing.

You should be able to figure the wasp part out pretty easy.
    it's just some picking with lots of sustain ... ?

helps at all?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Yeah, all my strings are detuned half a step. I only did that because I like the way it sounds flat than in standard

The problem is that the chord changes are listed wrong for the backing of the Wasp part.

I have a structure list of all the parts, and they're listed wrong.