I've found myself a new band.

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I replied to an ad a few weeks ago to join this band for an upcoming gig. So far, they've played a few shows over the last year, but want to bring in another guitarist to play lead for their final show in February. As of now, I have no real long term plans, and only wanted to get out and play with people. I auditioned for the part, and I got it instantly. The cool thing is, is that I am A LOT younger than these guys. They're in their late 30s, early 40s and I'm only turning 20 soon.

They get a 55 minute set and they're playing a variety of classic rock songs. I think so far there are a few Zeppelin tunes like Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love and Bring it On Home, a couple of Tragically Hip songs. They aren't familiar with any music from the 90s aside from the really popular stuff, so Pearl Jam is out on this project.

The show planned is high budget and has 3-4 different bands playing at it. All of the shows I've ever played were organized by me, so there was minimal lighting, but this one is funded by a bunch of banks in London (it's their RRSP season ending party), so I've been promised lots of lighting and professional sound.

We'll be practising once a week, and use studio space to practise in.

I can't wait for this gig. I'm gonna tear it up.
:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    very cool... playing out really makes being a musician worth while to me...

I love the excitement and energy of playing live in front of people.
    There's No Code.
  • Awesome. Live playing is fun.
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    I replied to an ad a few weeks ago to join this band for an upcoming gig. So far, they've played a few shows over the last year, but want to bring in another guitarist to play lead for their final show in February. As of now, I have no real long term plans, and only wanted to get out and play with people. I auditioned for the part, and I got it instantly. The cool thing is, is that I am A LOT younger than these guys. They're in their late 30s, early 40s and I'm only turning 20 soon.

:)

that's exactly how it is with my band right now, except for no last show planned. I am 20 and they are all 40. They play alot 80's metal though. Not exactly my thing, but I can deal because I am moving away in less than a year and dont want to start a full on band where it's going to be all originals, but only get one gig at most out of probably about 8 months of hard work. It's something that is easy to keep me playing

The problem I do have is partly due to age difference. It helps for getting advice, but when there is a gig that is about an hour and a half away from home, and you set up at 4:00 in the afternoon and don't play until 10, it's kinda lonely in between that time, and it's an odd man out kinda feeling.

Taste kinda gets in the way, because I cant convince them to cover any Neil Young or anything really cool like that.

But anyway, have fun with it. There is nothing better than playing live
  • Bring it On Home is the greatest song to play on guitar
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • They aren't familiar with any music from the 90s aside from the really popular stuff, so Pearl Jam is out on this project.

??????????

what song from the 90's is more "popular" than ALIVE??
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    They aren't familiar with any music from the 90s aside from the really popular stuff, so Pearl Jam is out on this project.

??????????

what song from the 90's is more "popular" than ALIVE??

Well basically besides Smells like Teen spirit, they've heard nothing.
  • i'm actually playing teen spirit with my new band, goddamn is it fun......but we are all age 23-31, so all we play is PJ, nirvana, weezer, STP, etc
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young