I'm playing out next week!

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
YAY!

My rock music history class is having an open mic/jam session next week instead of class. The prof is bringing his electic blues band as a backup if anyone wants to use it. I've signed up to play with his band, so here's what I'm doing.

I'm going to play a Stevie-esque version of little wing. I'm going to focus on learning the opening and some of the memorable leads, but mainly just improv the rest of the song. I'm also definately throwing a Ledbetter tag and a Wind Crys Mary tag somewhere in the mix. The Little Wing/Maggot Brain version floating around has that cool slow finger picking part in it, so that's getting thrown in as well.

-|
-|
-|
7---7
7---7
7---7
7---7
4---4
9---9
7---7
7-5
5-2
-|
Figure 1

-|
-|
-|
4---4
5---5
5---5
5---5
2-3
-|

I'm also going to some overdriven delay and slide at the end, hopefully resulting in some carefully controlled feedback.

I'm also providing my Traynor for everyone to use, to I'll know all the secrets of getting the exact tone I want!

I haven't played out since I was 18, and I'll be 20 soon. I've been waiting for this day for awhile.

:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cool dude good luck with that! i love playing live, though im the same, i havent really since i was at college.
    currently excited though, ive got a band started now and we're having our first proper jam and songwriting session this weekend.
    What traynor do you have? I'm pretty interested in getting one, or at least finding out more about them. What kinda range of tone's is yours best for?
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • cool dude good luck with that! i love playing live, though im the same, i havent really since i was at college.
    currently excited though, ive got a band started now and we're having our first proper jam and songwriting session this weekend.
    What traynor do you have? I'm pretty interested in getting one, or at least finding out more about them. What kinda range of tone's is yours best for?

I have a Traynor YVC80. It has a really sweet glassy clean and a gritty overdrive. It also comes with an overdrive boost function, so I can get some pretty heavy tones out of it whenever I need it. Harmony-Central has a whole review page on it, and a lot of people there describe what it can do better than I can.

Musicians Friend also has a sound page here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/sound/popsnd=10120/printable=1/

Both sounds basically do describe what it sounds like.

:)
  • Good luck :D Hope it all goes well for you.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • the Little Wing/ Maggot Brain version Pearl Jam did is the best version of that song in history.

and yes, i'm including SRV's and Jimi's original.

you should do some Bob Dylan or Zeppelin too :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"