Help me select a new wah!

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be buying a new wah this week. My old one is a Snarling Dogs Black Bawl wah (think midranged, wide sweep). I'm looking for something similar to this and so far the options that best suit my need from what I've seen and heard are the Crybaby 95Q, 535Q, Fasel inductor Crybaby Classic and possibly a Vox wah, of which I've read about, but heard very little.

So far, I'm leaning towards the 95Q. I know that the 535Q provides many more options and tonal settings, but really, I often just find one (over a long period of time) sound that suits what I'm doing. (Think PJ, AIC and other mid-range sounding wahs). I know that Mike along with many other famous and excellent sounding musicians use the 535Q, but I think the tones out of the 95 will suit me just fine.
:)

In an ideal world, I would shoot for the Budda Bud-wah, but it is out my student budget at the moment. (There will be lots of time later).

The original Crybaby is out of the question. I've played with them in the store and once in a live setting, and it was not doing it for me. I found it had way too much treble and not enough uoommphh, in lack of a descriptive term. I have not played the fasel inducter Crybaby Classic wah, but I've heard some clips, and it sounds like quite an improvement on the original.

I'll be going into a bunch of stores over the next couple of days, and seeing as how it's after Christmas, I'm sure they'll be busy and I won't get much service. It would be nice if I could get some opinions so that I can narrow down my search slightly before going in and having them empty out the effect cabinet for me.

Thanks!

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Hi everyone,

I'm going to be buying a new wah this week. My old one is a Snarling Dogs Black Bawl wah (think midranged, wide sweep). I'm looking for something similar to this and so far the options that best suit my need from what I've seen and heard are the Crybaby 95Q, 535Q, Fasel inductor Crybaby Classic and possibly a Vox wah, of which I've read about, but heard very little.

So far, I'm leaning towards the 95Q. I know that the 535Q provides many more options and tonal settings, but really, I often just find one (over a long period of time) sound that suits what I'm doing. (Think PJ, AIC and other mid-range sounding wahs). I know that Mike along with many other famous and excellent sounding musicians use the 535Q, but I think the tones out of the 95 will suit me just fine.

In an ideal world, I would shoot for the Budda Bud-wah, but it is out my student budget at the moment. (There will be lots of time later).

The original Crybaby is out of the question. I've played with them in the store and once in a live setting, and it was not doing it for me. I found it had way too much treble and not enough uoommphh, in lack of a descriptive term. I have not played the fasel inducter Crybaby Classic wah, but I've heard some clips, and it sounds like quite an improvement on the original.

I'll be going into a bunch of stores over the next couple of days, and seeing as how it's after Christmas, I'm sure they'll be busy and I won't get much service. It would be nice if I could get some opinions so that I can narrow down my search slightly before going in and having them empty out the effect cabinet for me.

Thanks!

Check the Tesse Wizard Wah, sounds like it is right up your alley.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • JofZ wrote:
    Check the Tesse Wizard Wah, sounds like it is right up your alley.

Listened to a clip of it, and that's what I'm looking for. Sounds a lot like what I had before. Thanks! Only problem is that it looks like he has a back order and it will be a long time coming. Good price for what you get as well. We'll keep that in the tabs though.
  • I'm curious to Dirty....

I've been wondering what kind to get now for months, i started a thread a while back:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=148620&highlight=wah+pedals

Anyways, i was gunna start a new one soon just cause i still have no clue what to get.

I'm leaning towards the 535Q and i really wish i had the chance to try the Morley Bad Horsie 2, but i can't find it anywhere, and i've heard good things about the VOX ones.

Let us/me know what you end up going with, or anywhere your know where i can try the Bad Horsie!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • I'm curious to Dirty....

I've been wondering what kind to get now for months, i started a thread a while back:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=148620&highlight=wah+pedals

Anyways, i was gunna start a new one soon just cause i still have no clue what to get.

I'm leaning towards the 535Q and i really wish i had the chance to try the Morley Bad Horsie 2, but i can't find it anywhere, and i've heard good things about the VOX ones.

Let us/me know what you end up going with, or anywhere your know where i can try the Bad Horsie!!

In London we have Bellones, Belle Aire, Matt's Music and Walters Music. I know there is Walters in Toronto, and I think that Belle Aire is pretty widespread. I think that Matt's Music in London does carry Morley. I haven't been in there for a while, but if I recall, they cater for the Ibanez, stack and processor crowd, so I think they had (have) a lot of the Vai Morley stuff. Not sure about now though.

I've been doing a lot of reading and listening tonight, and the Crybaby Classic is getting rave (8.7/10) reviews pretty much all around. I'll need to try it out though. I'd really like to secure a wah this week while they're still on sale and in stock for Boxing week. The store I used to shop at closed down, but I knew the owner pretty well, and he had connections with L&M in Toronto, so he could get pretty much anything he wanted from their warehouse. It was great; he'd order in a bunch of stuff, let me try out them at first dibs, give me a good deal and put everything else up for sale. If he was still in business, I'd go to him, get him to order a bunch of stuff and I'd play with it there. He did carry Morley, I know that for a fact.

I've heard good things about VOX too, but I recall that they hurt the wallet slightly, which is kind of an issue for me right now (being a student and all).

I'll keep you posted though.
  • Thanks man!!

Ya the VOX is supposed to be pricy....and same here, i can't spend too much.

I tried the Zakk Wylde Cry Baby too and i liked that, maybe give that a go.

I just heard that the Bad Horsie has more sweep than most wahs out there, which i think i would really like.

I'm looking this week too though...we'll keep in touch :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    Analogman and Musictoyz both have them in stock last time I checked :)

I thought you would dig it!
    All of Tesse's stuff is built very well, it is money well spent.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • JofZ wrote:
    Analogman and Musictoyz both have them in stock last time I checked :)

I thought you would dig it!
    All of Tesse's stuff is built very well, it is money well spent.

Ah, I was looking directly at Geoffrey's site.

Music Toyz does have it. We'll have to do some currency conversions and shipping calculations first though. :)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    scour the for sale forums and you will find a ton of stuff even Teese stuff like the Wizard for sale in the 130 dollar range. There are Teese and Keeley and Analogman and Area 51 modded stuff near the 100 dollar level occasionally just look around. I agree the wiz wah is probably the one too esp with humbuckers. Don't be afraid to try the fulltone stuff either, but the king of Wah in my mind is Geoff Teese. You might find an RMC1 or RMC2 fairly cheap. I think JofZ has a pic wah with his Murphy's and I'm sure it sounds great that's more of the classic vox sound though very very vocal.

You can get a regular vox 847 on ebay for around 50 bucks then have the thing modded later if you want they are very solid for the money too. I've had my morley bad horsey for maybe 9 or 10 years now and haven't had a problem yet. Their contour wah is nice. It's got a good buffer, and the switchless circuitry keeps you from pot repair. The contour control makes it flexible. It's worth an AB anyway even though it's not as pretty as the others
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    scour the for sale forums and you will find a ton of stuff even Teese stuff like the Wizard for sale in the 130 dollar range. There are Teese and Keeley and Analogman and Area 51 modded stuff near the 100 dollar level occasionally just look around. I agree the wiz wah is probably the one too esp with humbuckers. Don't be afraid to try the fulltone stuff either, but the king of Wah in my mind is Geoff Teese. You might find an RMC1 or RMC2 fairly cheap. I think JofZ has a pic wah with his Murphy's and I'm sure it sounds great that's more of the classic vox sound though very very vocal.

You can get a regular vox 847 on ebay for around 50 bucks then have the thing modded later if you want they are very solid for the money too. I've had my morley bad horsey for maybe 9 or 10 years now and haven't had a problem yet. Their contour wah is nice. It's got a good buffer, and the switchless circuitry keeps you from pot repair. The contour control makes it flexible. It's worth an AB anyway even though it's not as pretty as the others

I think it's gonna be the Wizard wah! I went into all the stores in London this morning, and they have no stock since it's after Christmas, and you guys seem to know what your talking about. I'm ordering it from Analogman right now! I've never ordered anything from the US before. How does the tax work out?
  • Done and Done!
    I think it's gonna be the Wizard wah! I went into all the stores in London this morning, and they have no stock since it's after Christmas, and you guys seem to know what your talking about. I'm ordering it from Analogman right now! I've never ordered anything from the US before. How does the tax work out?

You shouldn't have to pay sales tax since you are in the UK, we don't have to pay VAT from Europe as far as I know. The shipping is what sucks, but I think it's around 15 dollars international from Analogman.

Congrats, that should be a staple for you for a very long time.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I bought mine from Mike and he always ships working pedals quickly and without problems. You'll be in good shape soon!
    It takes about 10 days on average for me to receive pedals from overseas, so I would assume the same for you.
    Let us know how you like it!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79 wrote:
    You shouldn't have to pay sales tax since you are in the UK, we don't have to pay VAT from Europe as far as I know. The shipping is what sucks, but I think it's around 15 dollars international from Analogman.

Congrats, that should be a staple for you for a very long time.

Haha, London ON, CAN. I wish it was UK, but sadly...

The shipping is $40.00 for all international, except for Canada, which was $25.00. It worked out to 200.00 US, which seems more than worth it.
    Haha, London ON, CAN. I wish it was UK, but sadly...

The shipping is $40.00 for all international, except for Canada, which was $25.00. It worked out to 200.00 US, which seems more than worth it.

ha ha, oh, I always get that confused but london amps (power scaling) is from their too. regardless congrats on the new pedal, I think it should take a little less time since it's coming from CT.