Options

This Months J mag(top 20 moments in grunge).

threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
edited November 2008 in The Porch
J mag is a magazine put out by australian radio station Triple J, who have supported the PJ aussie tours up til the 03 tour, and played their melbourne 98 show live on air, and one of the 95 shows.

so anyway, in this months j mag they have a 20 moments on grunge article. well it's mainly a piece of shit cause it's put together by Richard Kingsmill who has proven himself to be a douche on several occasions lately. like by dissing the new Kings Of Leon album and just the general choices he has made since becoming music director down at triple J.

so here is some of the highlights(or lowlights i guess) including actual quotes from kingsmill

1: Nirvana - Silver
2: Soundgarden - Loud Love
3: Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick("Mudhoney is the only Seattle grunge band of note still going") O.K, like What the fuck?? only seattle grunge band still going???

7: Green River - Swallow My Pride("featuring members of Mudhoney and Pearl Jam GR are recognised as the first band of the northwest to lay the foundations of grunge. you can certainly here more mudhoney in their songs then pearl jam - unsurprisingly stylistic differences and differing ambitions tore the group apart.")

13. Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike (TRIVIA - Eddie Vedder makes his first appearance on record dueting with Cornell here.)

19. Pearl Jam - Go ("More then 10 million fans jumped on the PJ bandwagon from the start, but i was not one of them. Ten, their debut was badly produced, overblown stadium rock that seemed at odds with the times. When second album Vs. opened with Go i thought the band had grown some balls. it was an aggressive and welcome statement after Jeremy and Alive saturated radio the previous year.")

20. Silverchair - tomorrow ("Released less then 6 months after kurt's suicide it was also the final salute to grunge. It was time to move on")

What a fucking crock of steaming donkey shit. i'm close to emailing kingsmill to tell him what a fucking jerk off he truly is.
condescending and sarcastic since 1980
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    He may be a douche, but the new KOL is their weakest effort by a long shot.

At least he recognized Pearl Jam, albeit with a few backhanded compliments.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    the guy is a nirvana fan. he's jealous like many nirvana are of pearl jam's talent and difference making in this world. there guy ate lead and is now dead, and it hurts them so bad it burns deep up inside there anal rectum. who cares, when is the next pearl jam record due.........SUCKERS!
  • Options
    Nirvana were great ( note the were) I wonder what kurt would be like now. I wonder if they would have continued on like PJ has.
    would have they sold out or stayed true.
    Kingsmill is full of his own self imposed inportance. Hate JJJ now- boring as batshit.
    Re KOL. yeah this last effort is directed at making some coin. I say go for it boys
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    JJJ died for me when Francis Leach left and J-files was cut back. Had to come back to listen to the Chaser boys in their shifts, and for Roy & HG's sport commentary.

But that's it.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Anyone that rates Sliver as the best moment in grunge is a dumbass.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858

Word
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125

Absolutely. I did a doubletake when I read that.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    if Kurt Cobain didn't off himself the conversations about Nirvana would be along the lines of of one hit (or album) wonders. In Utero was hardly as good of an album as Nevermind.Nirvana was definitely groundbreaking and changed the face of music but there would have been no longevity there at all. Cobain would have probably pulled an Axl Rose and make you wait 15 years for a new album.
  • Options
    Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
    I felt Nirvana was going to break up soon in 1994 anyways due to Kurt's drug problems, they wouldn't have lasted much longer.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    the guy is a nirvana fan. he's jealous like many nirvana are of pearl jam's talent and difference making in this world. there guy ate lead and is now dead, and it hurts them so bad it burns deep up inside there anal rectum. who cares, when is the next pearl jam record due.........SUCKERS!

Wow, what a stupid statement... Nirvana fans are jealous of Pearl Jam's talent? Not that Nirvana themselves but their fans are jealous? Really? How does that make sense?

Making a difference in this world is arguable, how is Pearl Jam making a difference in the world? They write music and go on tour, they are not politicians, they aren't on the front lines of war. They may be more socially responsible than other bands, but there not making a HUGE impact on this world. I think its great what they do, but its not all that significant in the large picture. Bono is makes more of a difference because he actually lobbies to politicians and is out there in Africa trying to help, or at those G8 summit meetings.

I don't get how this guy put Sliver as the most important moment in grunge history when clearly Smells Like Teen Spirit is the most important.

I also agree with his take on Ten, it is awfully produced and it was a lot more arena rock than anything Kurt Cobain ever wrote. You should be happy that he doesn't clump Pearl Jam as this one note band, I think everyone knows here that they were far and above just grunge.

I have never gotten this about Pearl Jam's fans, they want to be included in grunge but when people try to compare them and Nirvana or whoever, they are always condescending and think that their band is "better" than the other. Do you think Eddie Vedder cares if people say he is not as good as Kurt Cobain or whoever. Music is subjective, get over it. Some people dig stuff some people don't. Just because one person says it doesn't mean its what everybody thinks.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    I agree
    "Sliver" was far from the greatest moment in Grunge.

But to this guy's defense...it was an important moment in itself, as it was a transtional song for Nirvana and Kurt as a songwriter. It took The Beatles meets Black Sabbath sound that they touched on with "About a Girl" and paved the way for the material that would propell Nevermind and Grunge music into the stratosphere.

Look.

As much as people like to hate on Kurt or Nirvana. You can't argue their place in rock music history.

Whether we like it or not...Nirvana will always get the collective nod over Pearl Jam simply because Nirvana in large is credited with breaking Grunge Music to the world.

Whatever...
    I've always prefered Pearl Jam to Nirvana regardless. But that's just me.

Personally I couldn't give monkey's dick what some radio yahoo or pretentious music critic says are important moments in music.

Music is subjective and tastes are relative to the listener.

What's important to me, may not be very important to some

Fuck it.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    Listen back in 91/92 music was crap and then Nirvana hit the radiowaves. They opened the door for everyone including PJ. Would PJ have made it big without Nirvana? Who knows, I would like to think so but you never know.

I have always liked PJ more than Nirvana as it was more my style. Besides you can't really sex your girl up to Territorial Pissings(well depending on the mood) but you could to Oceans.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    I used to read all of the music realted magazines/fanzines/newspapers that I could get my hands on. It was interesting to read about the rise of new rock scene and try to figure out who everyone is, and where they came from.

I basically stopped reading anything and everything around 1995-96. It was just pointless after that.

The fact of the matter is that I'd be more interested in the opinion of anyone on this board than I am about some DJ's. After reading opinion pieces, and articles, and books, I've come away with the conclusion that none of those people know much of anything. Also, I basically never agree with any of their opinions.

I think that this "list" was made primarily to cause a reaction, which is a pretty juvenile goal.
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    Nirvana fans are jealous of Pearl Jam's talent?
    yes
    Kraven wrote:
    how is Pearl Jam making a difference in the world
    Duh.
    http://www.pearljam.com/activism/

next topic.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    if Kurt Cobain didn't off himself the conversations about Nirvana would be along the lines of of one hit (or album) wonders. In Utero was hardly as good of an album as Nevermind.Nirvana was definitely groundbreaking and changed the face of music but there would have been no longevity there at all. Cobain would have probably pulled an Axl Rose and make you wait 15 years for a new album.

I listen to "In Utero" way more than I listen to "Nevermind" these days. I think it is superior.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    BinFrog wrote:
    I listen to "In Utero" way more than I listen to "Nevermind" these days. I think it is superior.

I do too. A very solid album
  • Options
    Lanegan7Lanegan7 Posts: 124
    I thought Nevermind was pretty good, but not the masterpiece that Ten is. Imo In Utero was horrible garbage, the only song I can stand to listen to is All Apologies.
  • Options
    ha, grunge.

grunge is just a form of punk rock. nothing new there at all.

i hate top 20 lists. they mean nothing
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play