Name as many well known classic rock solos as you can think of.

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm playing a show next weekend and I get my own solo electric guitar solo spot before opening up a cover of Sweet Child of Mine.

So basically I get to fulfill the "dream" of a spotlight and guitar. Rather than going off on a mindless wank, I want to incorporate as many well known riffs and solos as possible into a 2 and a half, 3 minute solo. Plus I'm working a crowd of about 800 drunk bank employees on a Friday night, so I'd rather

So far I've thought of:

Cat Scratch Fever
Solo from Bohemian Rhapsody
Pink Floyd's Mother solo
Stairway
Ledbetter
Voodoo Chile
annoying tapping bit from eruption
november rain
War Pigs
Fairies wear boots
Working Man

Help me out here ladies and gentlemen. Suggest anything. I'm not concerned about difficulty, I just need some ideas.

Remember I'm trying to work the crowd.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Thios reminds me of the famous CC DeVille solo that the guitar mags are still ragging him about years later. It had an irritating tapping bit too.
    If this was me, I would choose one thing, and do it right. Something elegant, and played well will go over better than a mish-mash of riffs, I mean , what melody would you be playing over ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    what about some sweet riffs from the stones? a satisfaction or start me up would work wonders I think
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • maybe some peppers...some easy riffage of theres is allways recognizable, maybe some gently weeps, or free bird

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Thios reminds me of the famous CC DeVille solo that the guitar mags are still ragging him about years later. It had an irritating tapping bit too.
    If this was me, I would choose one thing, and do it right. Something elegant, and played well will go over better than a mish-mash of riffs, I mean , what melody would you be playing over ??

Under normal circumstances, that's exactly what I would do.

But the audience is composed of drunken 30-40 something business executives who want to hear the guitar riffs of their past. Musicality, cohesion, integrity and most of all, pride, don't really matter in this case.

When these people yell out 'freebird', dammit, you'd better play freebird. ;)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Under normal circumstances, that's exactly what I would do.

But the audience is composed of drunken 30-40 something business executives who want to hear the guitar riffs of their past. Musicality, cohesion, integrity and most of all, pride, don't really matter in this case.

When these people yell out 'freebird', dammit, you'd better play freebird. ;)

FAir enough, probbaly best to go with riffs, easist to do if thet are all in the same key, ususalyl E, doesn't sound like you'll have too many dramas finding plenty.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • comfortably numb
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Well before I read your post I was going to suggest Sweet Child but you pretty much took care of that. :)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER - JIMI
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Back In Black, You Shook Me All Night Long, Stairway to Heaven, Bohemian Rhapsody, Sweet Child O'Mine, November Rain, Knockin' On Heaven's Door (GNR), Whole Lotta Love, Ten Years Gone, Achilles Last Stand..
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Considering this is an intro into sweed child and you need a solo that can sound good w/o the background music, I'd go with the intro solo into the 2nd solo of "Fade To Black" by Metallica. 2 Beautiful solos that could sound amazing w/o any other instruments.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Hotel California. Always a crowd pelaser.
  • free bird, definitely
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • SRV-Just about anything but one of my favorites is Little Wing
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    When I come around by Green Day.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • Do what Slash used to do - the Godfather theme!:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I suggest that you alternate between a well known riff then a solo, then riff, etc...

More people will identify with the riff right away rather than a solo.

Suggested riffs; Funk 49, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Black Dog, Heartbreaker, Rock n Roll Hoochie Koo, Cat Scratch Fever.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Cool suggestions.

They might be taping the show. Someone taped the same gig last year (although it sounded like shit).