Guitar playing

TricsathabarTricsathabar Posts: 23
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought a acoustic guitar, i have no idea how to play...Does anybody know of any good sites out there that give some pointers, or somebody here could just tell me what string is what?!

I really need to learn how to play and quickly!
IT MIGHT BE YOUR GUILE, IT COULD BE YOUR MIND...IT MIGHT BE THE WAY YOU TAKE YOUR TIME....OH, YOU, YOU, YOU
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Musicians and Gearheads on this forum is really good for getting help and advice, whatever your standard of playing.
  • Musicians and Gearheads on this forum is really good for getting help and advice, whatever your standard of playing.

Oh thanks, well my standard of playing doesnt really exist at the moment so hopefully somebody can help out!
    IT MIGHT BE YOUR GUILE, IT COULD BE YOUR MIND...IT MIGHT BE THE WAY YOU TAKE YOUR TIME....OH, YOU, YOU, YOU
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Your best bet is to learn the basic chords... get yourself one of those Chord Dictionaries at the music or book store.
    Learn to read the Tabs (tablatures) at guitar player websites. The dotted line represent the strings and the numbers represent the fret number:

This is the D chord:
    --2--- This is the little skinny string at the bottom of the neck. Press on the 2nd Fret
    --3--- This is the next skinniest string. Press on the 3rd fret
    --2--- Press on the 2nd fret
    --0--- Play this string, but don't press down on it.

This is the big fat string at the top.

If you learn the D, G, Em, A and C chords... you can play 'Long Road'
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I just bought a acoustic guitar, i have no idea how to play...Does anybody know of any good sites out there that give some pointers, or somebody here could just tell me what string is what?!

The best advice I can give is to find someone in your area and take lessons. They can't be that expensive. I pay $20 US a week and its worth every penny and then some. Its not going to happen overnight, but with practice you'll see the improvement immensely. Good luck and keep us updated!
  • I just bought a acoustic guitar, i have no idea how to play...Does anybody know of any good sites out there that give some pointers, or somebody here could just tell me what string is what?!

Need to learn quickly? Yikes! Define quickly :)

Okay,

EADGBE - those are the six string notes played when in the open position (no frets), top to bottom so the first E is the sixth string, A is the 5th and so on.

type in guitar tab in a search engine and you will find tabs for about anything. Go with songs that you can just play with chords first.

I recommend 'Mother' by Pink Floyd if you know it, pretty easy to learn and you can sing along! Good luck!
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010