anyone read music?

shootenany!shootenany! Posts: 122
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm hoping to get a tattoo of the opening riff of Release, but my music reading skills peaked at around age 7 and I've forgotten most of it since then (except that every good boy deserves fruit, but I can't remember how that's relevant...).

Anyway, if anyone knows what this:
---0-h-2-p-0
3---0---

should look like on a stave, I would appreciate it two tonnes.
Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm hoping to get a tattoo of the opening riff of Release, but my music reading skills peaked at around age 7 and I've forgotten most of it since then (except that every good boy deserves fruit, but I can't remember how that's relevant...).

Anyway, if anyone knows what this:
    ---0-h-2-p-0
    3---0---

should look like on a stave, I would appreciate it two tonnes.
    Thanks!

---E-h-F#-p-E
    E
    G---E---
    D
    D

A
    A
    ---D
    D
    D

There you go!

Ok, I've read music for years, but , let me post this and look at it first, and make sure there're no typos, and it comes out right, and make sure other people look and second it. Haha,,,
    :D Don't want a sour note on a tattoo!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

The more lines above , the more tattoo! How big are your arms? :)
    THe letter at the beginning of the line or space is the note you would use in the stave.

F
    E
    D
    C
    B
    A
    G
    F
    E
    D

I can't put the actual music up right now,,,,, I have to leave again,,,, but I'll either do it later, or maybe someone else will by the time I get back.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • mkress77mkress77 Posts: 14
    I'm no expert but this is what I came up with in Power Tab.

release2.jpg
  • shootenany!shootenany! Posts: 122
    Ooh, hang on, that power tab looks right.
    Thanks a million guys (so long as you aren't giving me bum notes :D)!
  • mkress77mkress77 Posts: 14
    I might not be completely right but here is what someone else posted at Ultimate-Guitar.

release.jpg
  • taratara Posts: 293
    mkress77 wrote:
    I'm no expert but this is what I came up with in Power Tab.

release2.jpg

the notes in that are correct, but in my opinion, the rhythm is off, i can't figure out how to draw a staff and notes on my computer, so i'll write it out, and hopefully you'll get it. first, i'm not sure if the guitar is played int he treble cleff (that's a question, not a statement), it has quite a wide range, but i think it is, so lets assume that, plus a treble cleff is prettier than say, an alto cleff. as for the key signature, it's definetly not in 4/4, it's either in 3 or 6, listen to it, you're probably taping the beat in 3, then the second 'group' (without the little trill at the start) can be thought of as the second group of 3, i'd put it in either 3/4 (where the bottom number denotes what kind of note is getting the beat, and the '4' means that a quarter note gets the beat, so if you put it in 6/4 then there are 6 quarter notes to the bar, get it?), OR you could give the eigth note the beat, then it'll be in 3/8 or 6/8. it's been awhile though since i've really played any music, so i'm not sure if 6/4 and 3/8 are acceptable time signatures. go check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature

http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/13ts.html

you'll notice under "most frequent time signatures" that you won't find 6/4 or 3/8, they're just too wierd. 6/8 is 'compound' because it has two halves, with the first beat/half being where ed sings "I" and the second half (falling on the third beat) on "see". so YOU need to go listen to it and decide for yourself if those are 2 halves to the same bar, or two seperate bars. hope that i'm not making this unecessarily complicated.

so now for the rhythm of it:

this is highly debatable, and i'd go check it with someone, because i'm just giving you my personal opinion. let's assume that you're putting it in 6/8 (which i feel is the way to go, since the second half has a softer accent than the first half).

i feel that the initial 2 notes are a short trill, or a double grace note to the first E
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornament_%28music%29 (wiki calls them appoggiatura, but noone calls them that, they're called grace notes)

http://www.nici.kun.nl/mmm/projects/domain7.html

for how it's written, see here

http://www.iteaonline.org/Journal/32N1/32N1ornamentation.shtml

go to the second set of staves, the last one on the first line, the 'double appoggiatura', that's how you'll write it, except with the root note being an eight note instead of a half note, and the grace notes being eighth notes too (with one line connecting them instead of 2). fuck, this is getting too complicated to explain, if someone can explain to me how to post a picture here, then i'll do that.

just in case you're still following though, write 'e, d, a, d' as a triplet, the e, and low d are eigth notes, the middle two notes (d, a) are sixteenth notes, with the 'e, f#' as grace notes just before: that's your first bar (or half bar if you're in 6) THE STEMS OF THESE NOTES SHOULD BE POINTING DOWN!!! if you listen to it, you may hear my reasoning, the beates are on the first e, then the d, then the low d, with the a sort of tucked in.

second bar/half: write the 'e, d, a, d, g, e' as a grouping of sixteenth notes. again, the stems can point down. the general rule is that you don't want stems flying all over the place, so you keep stems bellow the b (that's the middle line in the staff) pointing up, and the stems above b pointing down (b changes depending on what it's grouped with. you get to break this rule though depending on note groupings

and that's it, hope that some of it made sense
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Okay - I figured if you're gonna ink it to your body you might want to get it right.
    I just created this in PHOTOBUCKET for you.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/PearlJam-RELEASE-1.jpg

Happy TAT - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • taratara Posts: 293
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Okay - I figured if you're gonna ink it to your body you might want to get it right.
    I just created this in PHOTOBUCKET for you.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/PearlJam-RELEASE-1.jpg

Happy TAT - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

looks good, don't i feel silly spending all that time listening to it, and still getting it wrong, i think the syncopation on the first a-d threw me
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    tara wrote:
    looks good, don't i feel silly spending all that time listening to it, and still getting it wrong, i think the syncopation on the first a-d threw me

No Tara, that just proves how hard it is to accurately transcribe music, and why 99.9% of tabs on the internet are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is why I like to buy them.

Hey, did anyone else notice that teh correct answer cam from the much despised and maligned "Ten" songbook ?
    How much easier would all our lives be if all teh albums were published, (using the tabs from GTW of course, with due credit and remuneration) ???
    Music is not a competetion.
  • shootenany!shootenany! Posts: 122
    Thanks all for the suggestions and pictures and time signatures I don't understand! This is what I got done today:
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/maz_vd/april07aa004.jpg
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/maz_vd/april07aa001.jpg
    ...but I only just read the last few posts, so the time signature on the tattoo is a bit wrong but the notes are right. That'll teach me to rush into things. But anyway, it looks nice and it's recognisable as Release, so I'm very happy.
    Thanks again! :)
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Looks cool dude - though I wish you had seen what I posted for you . . .
    because "time signatures" and "how notes are grouped together" are both a big thing in music.
    Unfortunately you would never see the 2nd and 3rd notes from the end (D & G) tied together like that.
    The correct time signature would have fixed that weird looking tie.
    People who actually read music will be like "what the hell happened there" - ohh well, it still looks cool :D

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>