Looking for good quality stereo headphones.

TWHoltTWHolt Posts: 403
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any ideas on good quality stereo headphones out there? Big ones with cups that fit over your ear to block all outside sound.....gel cushions.....good frequency range? Price is not an issue. And I love my music loud!! ;)
|Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Next~Boston 1 24|Next~Boston 2 24|
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 headphones ($100) that I use for recording. They are a circumaural (around-the-ear), closed-back (sealed from outside sounds) design. They sound absolutely amazing, although right out of the box they are a little harsh. They get better with use and age.

I also use a pair of Sennheiser HD 202's, and they are pretty nice. They are also circumaural and sealed-back, but not quite the quality level. They sound great, just not as sturdy. I consider them to be the best headphones for the money ($30). Any of the Sennheiser HD's are a good bet.

I have always had great reviews for the Sony MDR headphones as well. Always great-sounding. The MDR-7506 ($100) are a great bet. The MDR-V500 phones are an incredible value ($80), and *incredibly* comfortable to wear, but are designed more for DJ's, which means a bass-heavy sound. The MDR-7502 is a nice budget choice ($50). Both the V500 and 7502 are supra-aural (not quite all the way around the ear).

One important consideration: closed-back headphones are great for blocking out external noise, but tend to provide a less-accurate sound. Open-backed headphones are much more natural-sounding. I use closed-back headphones to block out external noise as well as prevent the sound from the headphones from bleeding into microphones, which is probably not a concern for you.

Also, with professional-quality headphones, getting them the appropriate power is an important concern. Most iPods, Discmans, etc. are not built to drive the larger pro-level headphones.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I second that, you CANNOT go wrong with the HD-series Sennheisers. Careful, though. They are capable of a LOT of volume and after a long night's listening, occasionally turning the volume up each time you adjust to it, you can do some serious damage to your hearing.
  • I have the HD-201's. Got them for $18 bucks on amazon, any they are really really great. If you're not an audiophile, you couldn't guess that they are so cheap (in price). I'd say check those out.
  • biffhardon wrote:
    I second that, you CANNOT go wrong with the HD-series Sennheisers. Careful, though. They are capable of a LOT of volume and after a long night's listening, occasionally turning the volume up each time you adjust to it, you can do some serious damage to your hearing.

Senns are great, to be sure... but i think AKG makes the best actual headphones ... i mean the totality oftheir form, function and fit ...

http://www.akg.com/products//powerslave,id,911,pid,911,mynodeid,186,_language,ENUS.html

i'd like to know how those sound!
    :D

[edit] hey these are built as "reference headphones" as in for studio monitoring ... but unlike the ones i bought which are at 600ohms and most certainly require external amplification ... these are 'only' at 62ohms ...

but if you are really concerened about powering these puppies ... or any headphone that you may buy ... you can always buy an external amp
    here is one suggestion: http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/

hey, if you want their opinion on these and other headphones, they rate the value and give you a quick "blurb" about them:
    http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/full-size/
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Boozer, please keep in mind that Pete Townsend attributes his tinnitus to blasting headphones.

a little volume goes a long way ;)
  • TWHoltTWHolt Posts: 403
    Ha ha, thanks for the input everyone. Definitely gonna check out the Sennheiser HD280 and the Sony MDR headphones....and thanks for the warning enharmonic ;) I'll be careful.....

yeah right! :D
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Next~Boston 1 24|Next~Boston 2 24|