Yet another recording question...

charlotte28charlotte28 Posts: 56
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everyone, I've been trying to decide on a digital recorder (on the smaller side). I'm totally new to recording and I'll just be recording myself, no band or anything. I'm just looking for some input or opinions on the Zoom MRS8 and the ZOOM PS04. I'm leaning towards the MRS8, just because it seems easier to use, but in all the descriptions only guitar is mentioned. Does this mean it isn't suitable for other instruments?

Anyways, what are your thoughts? And are there any reasons you think I should not get either of these? I know it usually comes down to personal preference, I'm just trying to research as much as possible before purchasing since whatever I get will probably come from the States so I'm hoping to not have to return it. Thanks!
walk the bridges before you burn them down...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the big drawback that i see with the MRS8 is that it required SD cards which could be a pain.

same for the PS04.

also, i think things like the onboard drum machines are kind of a waste of resources.

for the price of the MRS8, you can get this tascam.

http://www.music123.com/Tascam-DP01-i150998.music

huge harddrive (no cards to buy) and allows an easy backup to computer for archiving. you miss out on some onboard effects but the machine is a better value overall in my opinion.
  • if your looking for quality, try looking at the yamaha aw1600. Ive rented this machine a few times and its fantastic. the sound is great, it has loads of effects, a cd burner, etc...etc... I was originally looking at the zooms, and after asking around I got the impression that they werent very good pieces of equipment. But thats just me, I never used one, i could be totally wrong.
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    char25 wrote:
    Hey everyone, I've been trying to decide on a digital recorder (on the smaller side). I'm totally new to recording and I'll just be recording myself, no band or anything. I'm just looking for some input or opinions on the Zoom MRS8 and the ZOOM PS04. I'm leaning towards the MRS8, just because it seems easier to use, but in all the descriptions only guitar is mentioned. Does this mean it isn't suitable for other instruments?

Anyways, what are your thoughts? And are there any reasons you think I should not get either of these? I know it usually comes down to personal preference, I'm just trying to research as much as possible before purchasing since whatever I get will probably come from the States so I'm hoping to not have to return it. Thanks!

I have an MRS802 and I've inputted microphones, guitars, basses, and synthesizers with no issues at all once I figured out the input levels/etc. I also use the drum machine a fair amount and think it sounds pretty darn good for artificial drums. I can send you some examples if you want to hear some stuff.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Thanks for the opinions guys, I actually am not looking for anything "top of the line" (obviously) and I don't need a cd burner and already have tons of smart cards lying around for other equipment so those things aren't a big issue for me. I also like the drum machine aspect, since drums are the only instrument I want to use but don't have - anyways, thanks for talking me through the decision!
    walk the bridges before you burn them down...