S-S-H Strat vs. S-S-S Strat

gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, as many of you know, I've been debating between a Les Paul and a Strat, and I've finally made my decision to choose a Strat. [More versatile, easier to play IMO, better clean sound, plus I wasn't as impressed with a Bigsby as I thought I would be.] So, after saying that, I was planning on getting a S-S-H style Strat, so I could get that one humbucker for that Les Paul sound I was once so interested in, however, with more thinking, I like the S-S-S style more, and am planning on that, but was as always interested in your fine people's opinions. :)
Happiness is only real when shared
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the humbucker at the bridge of a strat doesn't really approach that les paul sound. it's certainly different that a single at the bridge and it is fuller and darker. but it's not really the paul sound.

i personally don't like single coil bridge sounds at all and thus have humbuckers in the bridge of both my fenders for a fatter sound. but they're nothing like les paul/SG bridge tones.
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    if your going for the Strat, you gotta go S-S-S.

Just my 2 cents.
  • The humbucker on the bridge (I got a Fat Strat) and it doesn't give an LP sound at all. It just barely gives a little "fat" to the bridge sound.

Get a Deluxe Ash Strat :D
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'd go for the three singles too.
  • If your really looking for tonal exploration, get the 3 Singles, but ensure that it comes with an S-1 switch, it crafts 5 more tones for you, giving you 10 in total, plus use of the two tone knobs. Its extremely versatile, and i think it beats the hell out of the SS_H

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I have 3 singles on my strat and love it :)
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Strats should have 3 singles.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Harrison, which Strats have the S-1 switching? All the Americans, or just the Deluxe?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Harrison, which Strats have the S-1 switching? All the Americans, or just the Deluxe?

Not the Americans. I have an American Standard Strat, no S-1. Not sure which ones do though.
  • moster78 wrote:
    Not the Americans. I have an American Standard Strat, no S-1. Not sure which ones do though.

the year they came out the americans had them, now they are just on the deluxes, and speacialty items, but you can buy the switch on ebay and wire it however you want, or to a fender diagram you like... theyve had this technology for a while, fender is just the first to really feature it in guitars.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you'd need pickups with 3 conductors as well, like the fender SCNs, to wire the switch properly i believe.

so, it can't be used with the standard pickups.
  • exhausted wrote:
    you'd need pickups with 3 conductors as well, like the fender SCNs, to wire the switch properly i believe.

so, it can't be used with the standard pickups.

yeah, but theres still toggle switching stuff, like you can get 7 ways and what not, you can permanently wire a strat in s-1 mode, which i kind of wish they did.

• gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Cool, thanks for the advice. I decided to look into the S-1 switch, but I can't find anything on it. I'm actually planning on getting it, just the idea is something I really like. So what does the switch look like? Is it an extension of something? What does it do? How does it work?
    Happiness is only real when shared
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    Cool, thanks for the advice. I decided to look into the S-1 switch, but I can't find anything on it. I'm actually planning on getting it, just the idea is something I really like. So what does the switch look like? Is it an extension of something? What does it do? How does it work?

The volume pot has a button that you push in on the top to turn it on and off. Thats about all I know about it! =)