What kind of pickups/humbuckers do you use?

gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Out of curiosity, what kind of pickups/humbuckers does everyone here use? What kind of sound do you get, and what make and model do you use? What kind of amp does it sound best through? I am looking for ideas for my future strat purchase, as right now I'm interested in a humbucker for a little added punch, and probably also a Texas Special pickup [SRV style baby!]
Happiness is only real when shared
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bor HBor H Posts: 25
    I use Aero J Bass 5 pickups, but you are interested in guitar pickups right? :P
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Well, you could post, but I won't have more than a little to no clue about what you're saying. ;)
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Whatever came stock in my guitars.

For my Strat, Fender American single coil pickups. For my SG Special, a 490R in the neck and a 490T in the bridge.

I eventually want to change them out, maybe get some noiseless pickups for my Strat, and put some kind of humbucker sized P90 type pickups in my SG.

If only I was independently wealthy.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I have some favorites, but my current favorite pickup is the Fralin P-92. It is a noiseless P-90 in a humbucker-sized enclosure. All of the grind and raunch of a p-90 without the hum.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    enharmonic wrote:
    I have some favorites, but my current favorite pickup is the Fralin P-92. It is a noiseless P-90 in a humbucker-sized enclosure. All of the grind and raunch of a p-90 without the hum.

Those are great pickups! I have 2 but I haven't put them into anything yet! I'm thinking of a Tele with them. I have a body that has a B-bender on it. If I can figure out how to put a Bigsby on it WITH the B Bender, that would be a whacko guitar!

If the guitar I'm using has good pups that can be tweaked, I'll use them. If I try anything different, or customizing somebody's guitar, I almost always use Lindy Fralin's.
    He and his crew are really nice people, and they can make almost anything you want, and if you don't like them, you can send them back.

I've never sent anything back to him though!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Fender singles in my Strat. I've gotta invest in a hard case before anything else--after that I may or may not upgrade my current Strat, might save up and get an American Series HH after I graduate and get a real job. Other option would be to change out the pickups/pickguard on my strat and upgrade to a maple neck. That's going to be easily $500-600 so I guess it wouldn't hurt that much to simply hold out until I can afford the $1000 American, right?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    American Vintage in my strat.

Paul Reed Smith HFS and Vintage Bass in my Les Paul.

I'm going to give Lindy Fralin a shout about a new set of strat pups.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like fender's SCNs a lot. i have them in my strat and my jazz bass.

have duncan lil 59s in the bridge of my strat and tele though i'm thinking of buying a set of SCNs for the tele now that they're available as parts.

my gibsons and rickenbacker have their stock pickups.
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    gibson LP special sl - EMG (60 in the neck, 81 in the bridge)

ibanez sz520 - Seymour Duncan (Jazz in the neck, JB in the bridge)
  • rigneyclanrigneyclan Posts: 289
    Dimarzio Super Distortion
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    put a seymour duncan hot rails in your strat. i put one in mine about 1 year ago, and ive loved it. its got that vintage humbucker tone, and you can fit it right into a single-coil slot
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm soon going to upgrade the 57/62 CS pickups that are in my 62RI.

I will be using Fralin Blues Specials probably stock with perhaps a 5% overwind but I don't think I'll need it in the neck and middle.

Bridge will be Harmonic Design S90 and the bottom tone pot will have a blend pot so I can blend them toegther, sort of like the Fender S1 system with their scn's.

I got a chance to hear Eric Shannon's new tele with Fralin Unbuckers over the weekend for about 5 seconds because my amp crapped out but I really like them. They would sound nice in my Les Paul I think or in a hollowbody if I can ever get one. The LP currently has 490's. But I do like the Seymour Duncan 59's too.

Suhr makes really nice pickups as well.

SD Hot Rails work well as slide pups too. I can tell you that.

I guess we should mention Lollar as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.