Pedal set-up

SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Sorry if this thread has been covered but....am i right in saying that effects like chorus and phase shifter should be in the effects loop, not in the chain from the guitar to the amp?

I have at the moment:

Guitar - Cry baby - Boss SD2 - Boss hd2 - - Marshall jackhammer - amp

Effects send - Small clone - small stone - effects return

most of these i picked up very cheap so i am not sure if they sit well with each other, i tried them out and the only problem is the small stone cuts the levels of my distortion pedals, which is crap.

Any advice, yodas?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That's what I think anyway, If theres a loop, it's a good idea to put the modulations in it. Putting the SC in the loop should remove the level problems with the distortion, this is another reason I detest purchasing pedals without a volume level control and at least enough flexibility to take it to unity gain.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    personally, i think modulations sound better up front, ahead of all the gains.

but that's just how i do it. there are no rules.

is the small stone one of the new USA reissues? it needs a small mod to fix the volume drop. just two resistors.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    The effects loop should be used if your amp has one. I usually put my modulation effects last except for a vibe, which I put before my boost early in my chain.
    As everyone has said there are no rules, no right or wrong way. You should just play around and do what your ear likes best.
    As for the EH Small Stone, you have found what so many are bothered by and there are some fixes. Sone of them are cheap and you will probably wind up either living with it, or replacing it if it bothers you so much. Even my Analogman Clone has a vol. drop which I am so sick of that I am sending it out for a fix.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Wow, thanks gents.

Yeah, it's a USA reissue. Fuckin sucks that i have to get it modified but i know just the guy.....

Yeah, although my two EH pedals make tidy tones, they are not as adjustable as your average Boss pedal. The Boss ch1 (??) chorus has a dial for the colour whereas the EH small clone has a switch, makes me feel lioke i am missing out on something.

Anyways, ta for the advice.
  • Is your amp a channel-switching amp? And if so, do you use multiple channels on it, or just the cleans?

The chorus is the only one I think that would benefit from the FX loop.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.