~~~~Pics of the project~~~~

SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    Hey Squidge - i cant view them as i cannot access the page - mail me them if you can to: toby.connor@bt.com. i would like to take a look.

cheers bro.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Looks awesome. Did you make it a solid color, or leave it white in the middle with the blue on the edges? How big of a pain is it to put the finish on? I heard that wiring a strat can be tough too. Are you doin that yourself?
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • thats sick, the color rules....infact it looks just like this strat at this guitar shop...they call it "Hendrix Strat With Style" they have a standard mexican strat (in the blue and white like that) and they have an american in tie dye
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Yeah, we made it a solid colour with some masked areas in white, i will have some finished photos soon.

The colour is called 'Citroen poseidon blue', it is pretty slick.

The finish is pretty tricky, my cousin paints cars for a living so he did all the trick stuff, the trick is to apply a thin coat, get a hairdryer on it, then repeat the process.

I am gonna get the pickguard wired up in a shop cuz i'll prolly f@*k it up, hah.
    well done squidge, your well on your way man. hope you get a really smooth nice neck to bolt on her. i like those stripes on it, reminded me of the Van Halen Strat a little bit. did you do that with Electrical tape? looks good!

check these dudes out for necks: http://www.warmoth.com

these lot do custom strat necks out of all kinds of exotic woods. there are the Classics of course, maple & Rosewood - but you can really go to town with every detail: Frets : inlays : pre drilled tuner holes : one piece necks : check out the KOA and Babinga, awesome wood. some them dont even need a finish coz there just nice and waxed up anyway. all custom orders or just go to the gallery and pick up one made up for a good price. you can get a shit hot neck for around £170. birdseye maple is what i had on my strat, it's lovely stuff.
    Thanks Spook, glad you like it :D

I already have a neck for this guitar, the reason i bought it in the first place was because i like the neck. I think it is a maple neck, not sure. It's in the 'before' pic.

Had a look at that site.....man, i want to shopping so badly. I need to make some more money real quick!!!

Really appreciate your help and interest though. When i start my next project i will be using that site and you'll be the first to know.

Nice!
    No problem mate, glad to help:-) you can get lots of bits and bobs for your electrics / scratchplate at http://www.allparts.uk.com/
    not sure if i mentioned this site before but there delivery time is rapid.

I get loads of stuff from here. they also do necks & Bodies at pretty cool prices. (copper tape is ££ though!) ebay for that:-)

What kind of styles to play? do you have a band or jam regular?
    Yeah man, fiver for copper tape...bit of a bitch to work with but quite satisfying in the end.

Yeah, me and a couple of mate jam once a week. Lot's of fun. We play all sorts of stuff, couldn't really describe it. The other guitarist writes punk songs, the bassist is a bit of a crooner, like ballads and stuff and i like deep sort of lyrics (My favourite band is PJ, of course i like deep lyrics). It is quite a metally, grungy sound. We're in need of a drummer though.

What about you? How long you been playing? Band etc?
    The first instrument i played properly was drums at about 10 or 11. after a few years I had tuition for about 4 years i think. i carried on with drums cos as a kid i just loved beating the shite out of things (not people though) i first picked a guitar up at school when i was about 15. when i left school at 16 my family never had any £ so i could not afford to buy a drum kit, so my old man got me a second hand guitar from a brick a brack shop in town. after a while i was completely hooked. I'm 24 now so near on 10 years of guitar, and completely self taught.

when i was 18 i did a sound engineering course for 2 years at colledge and got a Diploma. thats when i first started playing with other people. at colledge it was more of mixing and matching with different people, just enjoying the jamming really and learning to record myself. doing funky stuff & Rock. Ever since I left colledge I've been in & out of Rock bands, about 4 local groups. I've always recorded and written music on my own too, Acoustic blues and slide guitar styles Funk and Rock. currently me and a few close mates from my town have started up a 4 piece and it's going great - pretty Heavy stuff along the PJ / Black Sabbath / Motorhead / Chilli Pepper/ Zepp lines.

we aint giggin yet but hopefully soon - dont do many covers just our own stuff with a few classics chucked in. i play Tele's & Strats mainly and a hollowbody (Gibson rippoff but custom shop pups installed) and also a 1965 Vox Shadow. i play through a 1969 Carlsbro 60 watt tube head with Hammond reverb with a 1973 Carlsbro 4x12 cab. i also own a brilliant Solid State 1977 HH Electronic 100 Watt Combo. (has a valve tone & very well built) i use quite a few pedals from old Marshall guvners - modded Keely Boss DS1 - Vintage Crybaby - modded Keely TS9 - & a fulltone fulldrive - MXR Dyna comp - Various delays and chorus pedals.
    you did sounds engineering, that sounds good man...i get confused with the whole deal.....MIDI etc.

You sure know your gear, i play an Aria (fullerton) through a 65-watt Trace Elliot combo. No idea of the years for both instruments. My effects....well, i own a D-tech RP-1, fuckin ancient thing man. It's like 15 years old. The effects are pretty raw though. I also own a boss turbo-overdrive (because the gain on my amp is gone and it only cost me £20) and a boss hs-1. They're good but i am still trying to work out how to switch from one effect to another nice and clean (stomping on time is a bit of a bitch)

Been playing for three years now and i love every minute of it.
    Squidge wrote:
    you did sounds engineering, that sounds good man...i get confused with the whole deal.....MIDI etc.

You sure know your gear, i play an Aria (fullerton) through a 65-watt Trace Elliot combo. No idea of the years for both instruments. My effects....well, i own a D-tech RP-1, fuckin ancient thing man. It's like 15 years old. The effects are pretty raw though. I also own a boss turbo-overdrive (because the gain on my amp is gone and it only cost me £20) and a boss hs-1. They're good but i am still trying to work out how to switch from one effect to another nice and clean (stomping on time is a bit of a bitch)

Been playing for three years now and i love every minute of it.

same as mate, i cant express myself properly without a guitar near me. what a marvelous invention eh. probably the best.

i really like Trace Elliot amps, really solid kit.

whats a D-tech RP-1?
    Spook Fish wrote:
    same as mate, i cant express myself properly without a guitar near me. what a marvelous invention eh. probably the best.

i really like Trace Elliot amps, really solid kit.

whats a D-tech RP-1?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://guitargeek.com/gear/img/digitech_rp1.gif&imgrefurl=http://guitargeek.com/gearview/983/&h=125&w=296&sz=14&tbnid=tzgq2Vuc7NwJ:&tbnh=46&tbnw=111&hl=en&start=20&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddigitech%2Brp-1%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

thats an RP-1, it is very solid, very old and stubborn......very much like an ageing relative.

I just can't get me enough guitar shit man....drives my missus crazy.
    Hey Squidge, are you into Neil Young?
    Never really listened to him, course i know about the collaboration between him and PJ and my friends father is massively into him. I like RITFW though, great track.

any suggestions?
    His old stuff with 'Crazy hoarse' is good, & obviously Crosby Stills Nash & Young era. just great simple songs.
    I really like that 'The needle and the damage done' track, listen and try it out its really simple, and 'Comes a time' sort of country acoustic. hell of a lead player too, i think he played on the PJ track: 'I Got ID'. brilliant tones. 'Down by the River' is a classic too. i dugg out some of my old mans LP's and he had stacks of Neil Young - can't believe i didnt listen to much before, I'd heard but not listened as they say. I think he's great.
    i got a squier trem set through the post the other day, brand new for a tenner. also i bought a pick-up set from a squier, also a tenner. I figured they gotta be better than the ones already on there. i haven't got much money to spend so i am being careful.

Waiting till next payday to get that pickguard and some new pots, then i gotta pay some dude to wire it up because, even though i got the schematics, i ain't gonna even bother attempting it.
    20! thats great value man. i would strongly suggest getting better pups for her though, but you never know, they may work out ok. the solder job shouldnt really cost you much if it's sittin in the pickguard waiting. new pots = def a good idea too. do you need new tuners or are they ok? if you want new i recommend Gotoh, there my fav or Shaller. if you do the HSS pickguard config, you could get a reasonable HB off ebay and drop that in giving you a fat bridge tone - you may need 500k pots for them though.