Buying Musical Equitment from Ebay

Gimme Some TruthGimme Some Truth Posts: 18
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey

i was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts and experience about buying musical equitment through Ebay i have never done it before but i know it can save alot of money(something i don't have alot of), so i have some question is it safe? is the equitment usually in good shape? can you get ripped off easilly? is it worth it? etc

thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i bought 2 pedals off ebay

1. last week. they promised it was brand new no scratches, got it the other day, exactly like they said...the pedal was 85$ on musiciansfriend got it for 55

2) i got a chorus pedal, in mint condition but used, when i recieved it the tone knob was loose and i couldnt fix it, so i todl the guy and he said oh that must have happened through the mail because it wasnt like that when he had it, and he accepted my refund

it all depends on who u buy from, if they have a good rating i say go for it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Yes, double-check their feedback rating and what previous folks have said about them. I always feel better knowing what kinda stuff they've been selling, as well... you can see what their previous auctions have been thru their feedback page.

The biggest thing is to know what you want and to be able to recognize potential problems. If you know what you're looking for, it can be a great resource. I've never been burned, but I take the time to find out what I'm paying for.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    Yes, double-check their feedback rating and what previous folks have said about them. I always feel better knowing what kinda stuff they've been selling, as well... you can see what their previous auctions have been thru their feedback page.

The biggest thing is to know what you want and to be able to recognize potential problems. If you know what you're looking for, it can be a great resource. I've never been burned, but I take the time to find out what I'm paying for.

good advice! Read the feedback!

I've bought a ton of stuff through Ebay but not equipment. Little sketchy spending that kind of money on used stuff without playing it firsthand.

A buddy of mine bought an acoustic. From the pictures it looked almost mint. But when he got it, the heel of the neck had a big crack, and it had a ton of chips. Luckily he got the insurance and he got his money back.

Sometimes you can find music shops which sell through EBay instead of setting up their own website. They usually tend to be safer as they tend to have tons of feedback so you can make an educated decision.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

e-mail the seller first and ask if they could provide a reference or two. Look for their registration date, and how much feedback they have...also how many purchases or sales over a time span. If you are buying a big-ticket item, do they normally buy and sell big ticket items on e-bay? Ask for a phone number so you can call and ask questions...never hurts, and most people will go along with that. Ask if the participate on any of the gear-related message boards (Harmony Central, The Gear Page, Les Paul Forum, Fender Discussion forum, etc) and get references from mods or regulars at those sites...every little bit helps.

Finally...NEVER...and I do mean never, respond to offers outside of e-bay on auctions that you lose, or on offers for similar products that you are bidding on. If you do...ALWAYS log in to e-bay and respond to the seller from there...not your e-mail. There is a new scam going around where phishers will send you a mock-up of an auction that you lost...offering you the opportunity to purchase the item due to the winner not coming through with the $$. Total fucking scam! If ever you get an e-mail like that...log into e-bay, and contact the seller that way...ask them if they sent you the second-chance offer, and if it is legit.

Protect your neck on e-bay. It used to be a very cool place...but now it's a fuckhole for some real shitty people who are out to screw you at all costs.
  • I have the same recommendation, make SURE you read the feedback. If they've had several negative remarks, even if they have many more positives, that's reason for concern.

I've had good experiences, and some bad experiences as well.

P.S. It's equiPment. Just an FYI.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    I bought my Breedlove guitar off of e-bay. My experience was great. It is the best sounding guitar I've ever played. I saved about $1000 on the guitar.

Here is my advice:

1. Know what you are looking for. If you see an instrument or piece of equipment you like, go to a dealer and check it out. Play the same model instrument, play on an amp like the one you will purchase, etc. If you like it, then proceed to step 2.

2. Know the dealer. Look at their feedback. Is it an individual, a store, a warehouse, or a broker you are buying from? My guitar was bought from a music store. Check their feedback. If they have many negative comments....stay away.

3. Set a price limit. Do not bid over your budget.

4. Read the descriptions closely. Is it damaged, is it new, is it used? If so, how was it stored? Was it stored in a smoke free environment with humidity controlled environment? Was it stored properly? Was it played hard or rarely played?

5. If you still have questions, ask the seller.

6. Once you satisfy your questions, if you still like it, place a bid. Or, as with my guitar, no one bid on it. The auction ended, and I bought it outside of e-bay. I had contacted the seller about this previously as I was visiting dealers and playing the guitar.

7. Make sure to calculate shipping and add to your bid.

I have never had a bad experience on e-bay. Musical instruments can be very individualistic, but if you know what you are looking for and find an outstanding deal on e-bay, then buy it. If it is a matter of less than $100, just go to a store and buy it. But, when I saved $1000 on my Breedlove guitar, I took my chances, and my the guitar has exceeded my expectations.