Has anyone ever played a Traynor amp

Gimme Some TruthGimme Some Truth Posts: 18
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey i was wandering if anyone owns or has played a Traynor amp?, they are supposed to be fantastic cheap all tube amps(from canada) i was wandering what people thought about them as i am considering perchasing one
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    I'm considering purchasing one too.. someone please let us know about your experience with them.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i think they're brilliant. well made and sound great and a good deal at twice the price. the 50W EL34 model especially.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    My old/ current guitar play has one. I think the clean a almost fender like, but he can't get sh*t for a dirty sound out of it. Clean blues/ roots band, sure...but not my taste.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    "My old/ current guitar play has one. I think the clean a almost fender like, but he can't get sh*t for a dirty sound out of it. Clean blues/ roots band, sure...but not my taste."

That's what pedals are for!!!

I imagine you put a tubescreamer in front of a traynor and it soudns wicked :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    (That's what pedals are for!!!...)

No Sh*t, but I have never been one for the millions of pedals. Sure they can make a bad amp sound good but I'd rather have a kickass amp that I don't have to drive with 100 pedals to make it sound good. besides, we tried a bunch of different pedals and still didn't find a sound that we liked...but hey, to each his own
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    Yah I guess it's all preference. I remeber when I was shopping for my amp I put so much thought into channels, and footswitching and features. Now that I have it, it stays on clean channel constantly and I play a tubescreamer in front to get a sweet sound.

Makes me wonder if I should have got a dr504
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    From what I understand, the newer Traynors are similar to the Fender Hot Rod and Peavey Classic series of amps. And if that's true, the onboard overdrive sucks. Leave it on the clean channel and get a good pedal or two. Of course, I've never been a fan of tube-preamp drive, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I bought a Traynor YCV40 (the 40 watt, 1x12 all tube) new about a year ago and have not used anything else since. Bang for the buck the best tube amp out there. Blows away the fender hot rod series in build quality, materials, features, and reliability.

The clean sound is very fender-esque and the dirty can be as dirty as you want. I personally use a Shannon OD out in front to push it a little more.

The stock Celestion speaker is alright at first , but you eventually might want to upgrade to a vintage 30. I usually use a Carvin Legacy 2x12 extension cab with greenbacks and the tone is amazing.

Basiaclly you are approaching boutique quality and sound in an amp that costs far less than the competition. I would highly recommend this amp.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • I bought a Traynor YCV40 (the 40 watt, 1x12 all tube) new about a year ago and have not used anything else since. Bang for the buck the best tube amp out there. Blows away the fender hot rod series in build quality, materials, features, and reliability.

The clean sound is very fender-esque and the dirty can be as dirty as you want. I personally use a Shannon OD out in front to push it a little more.

The stock Celestion speaker is alright at first , but you eventually might want to upgrade to a vintage 30. I usually use a Carvin Legacy 2x12 extension cab with greenbacks and the tone is amazing.

Basiaclly you are approaching boutique quality and sound in an amp that costs far less than the competition. I would highly recommend this amp.
    thanks i am definatelly thinking about this one, i might get the special edition wine red one with a stock vintage 30, i can get one ALOT cheaper on Ebay than my local retailer.......is it worth the Ebay rout i have never bought any musical equitment on it before
  • thanks i am definatelly thinking about this one, i might get the special edition wine red one with a stock vintage 30, i can get one ALOT cheaper on Ebay than my local retailer.......is it worth the Ebay rout i have never bought any musical equitment on it before

Good choice. The special edition already has the vintage 30 in it and comes in a cool wine red color. I was tempted to get one, but wasn't able to find one anywhere. Good luck. Never bought on ebay, but many others here have.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
    i'm picking up a traynor to beef up my rig if this band thing pans out. which model will depend on how much volume i end up needing. i'll start with the YCV20 and work my way up.
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    Anyone know who stocks these in Toronto?
    long & mcquade
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm picking up a traynor to beef up my rig if this band thing pans out. which model will depend on how much volume i end up needing. i'll start with the YCV20 and work my way up.

A little crossover work, how cool. What's your initial set up?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    puremagic wrote:
    A little crossover work, how cool. What's your initial set up?

all depends on volume requirements. i really don't know yet. right now it's just my deluxe reverb and a couple gain pedals. ideally, i want to layer amps because the sound is much more complex and full when doing so.

for bass, i don't know. depends on what's available. the idea going in that everyone swaps between guitars, bass and keys.

i still don't know when i'll be trying out per se. waiting to hear.
    exhausted wrote:
    all depends on volume requirements. i really don't know yet. right now it's just my deluxe reverb and a couple gain pedals. ideally, i want to layer amps because the sound is much more complex and full when doing so.

for bass, i don't know. depends on what's available. the idea going in that everyone swaps between guitars, bass and keys.

i still don't know when i'll be trying out per se. waiting to hear.

A guitar amp doesn't have the headroom needed to produce a quality bass sound. Even if you layer your amps, your bass out has to be at least twice the number of the guitar output or you won't be heard.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    i don't intend to use the guitar rig for bass. i know it won't work. worst case will be a bass pod direct into PA. but i believe, since another member was formerly dedicated to bass, that a rig is available. or i'll rent something. not sure yet.
    exhausted wrote:
    i don't intend to use the guitar rig for bass. i know it won't work. worst case will be a bass pod direct into PA. but i believe, since another member was formerly dedicated to bass, that a rig is available. or i'll rent something. not sure yet.

I wasn't questioning your knowledge, I asking to see what you were using since I know you have existing bass related equipment.
    i know. it's cool.

all i have for bass is the POD and a certain gain pedal that seems to work well with it.