***Seggestions for ones first "serious amp"***

Gimme Some TruthGimme Some Truth Posts: 18
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys!

I have about $600-$750ish to spent on my first good quality amp, i have been playing for about 3 years(mostly acoustic), i have had only one amp a 15 watt peavey blazer that sucks ass and was looking for an all tube combo amp (30-50 watts) and i was wandering if anyone had any seggestions ones fist "serious amp" thats good quality has great tone and a good price tag.

thanks

p.s if the amp has tone reminicent of PJ all the better
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hey guys!

I have about $600-$750ish to spent on my first good quality amp, i have been playing for about 3 years(mostly acoustic), i have had only one amp a 15 watt peavey blazer that sucks ass and was looking for an all tube combo amp (30-50 watts) and i was wandering if anyone had any seggestions ones fist "serious amp" thats good quality has great tone and a good price tag.

thanks

p.s if the amp has tone reminicent of PJ all the better

I'd look hard at the Fender 59 Bassman, The 65 Deluxe Reissue and the Vibrolux. Those are good tonal starting points you can build from there.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • If you want a great sounding classic fender sound.

The Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 reissue is one of the greats of all time.
    You can pick them up for $600 or so.
    New, they run about $800.00 plus or minus.
    They sound great

There's no overdrive on it, though, so you would probably want an overdrive pedal of some sort.

Why looky what I just happened to find!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-65-deluxe-reverb-amp-RI_W0QQitemZ7342336701QQcategoryZ33039QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Try them in a music store before you buy, though.

Also kicking little amps are used Mesa Boogie Subway Rockets, and Subway blues. They go fro pretty reasonable prices used. All these amps are 22 watts or so,,, but probably plenty,,, as you will be surprised how loud 22 tube watts is compared to that Peavey!

Ok,,,

Now I'll step aside and make room for all the other opinions!

Good luck with that Deluxe! ;)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Ha!!

It IS true!!!

Great minds think alike! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • you know I have a friend from NFLD Canada and He has some wicked amps and they sound amazing , but i think my favorite out of all them quality, price and horse power id have to say marshall, check them out.
    'Heineken, fuck that shit, get me a Keiths' Ed Vedder Halifax 2005
  • Traynor YCV40
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I like my Hiwatt DC40.

Heres a cool Idea that isn't often talked about on here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-DUAL-RECTIFIER-BLUE-ANGEL_W0QQitemZ7343747653QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another one is the Mesa Boogie .22 amp. That thing comes in 2 variations: earlier models (class A) and later models (A/B). Anyway I think they can be had for 600 US ( the earlier ones) although they do not pop up on ebay as often as other amps.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I like my Hiwatt DC40.

Heres a cool Idea that isn't often talked about on here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-DUAL-RECTIFIER-BLUE-ANGEL_W0QQitemZ7343747653QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another one is the Mesa Boogie .22 amp. That thing comes in 2 variations: earlier models (class A) and later models (A/B). Anyway I think they can be had for 600 US ( the earlier ones) although they do not pop up on ebay as often as other amps.

The blue angel is one of my favorite Mesa Amps. The Simul Link is ingenious.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Heres another good Mesa Boogie. S.O.B. stands for son of original Boogie (reissue of the Boogie Mark I)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-S-O-B-50-Watt-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ7343289551QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

a nice JCM 900 Marshall
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JCM-900-50-Watt-1x12-Combo-Model-2501_W0QQitemZ7343854924QQcategoryZ38075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or buy yourself an old silverface Bassman 50 and have enough money leftover to get it all checked out and some new tubes. maybe even a conversion to blackface Bassman specs
    http://cgi.ebay.com/69-Fender-Bassman-Amp-Head-50-watt-AB165_W0QQitemZ7343625665QQcategoryZ38074QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem specs
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Go buy a Reverend Kingsnake, it blows all the Re-Issues away. The proof in how good these babies are is that they just can't afford to make them anymore. Get one while you can. It will cover all your BF territory and tweed as well. It would be my first choice for a budget friendly tube amp with tone.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Traynor YCV40

This IS the best amp you can get for the price.
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    i just saw a Traynor Custom 20 Classic Class A all valve 15w combo on ebay and fuckin shit myself.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Spook Fish wrote:
    i just saw a Traynor Custom 20 Classic Class A all valve 15w combo on ebay and fuckin shit myself.

Some of these Traynors are going for more at auction then what I paid for my YVC80 4 years ago.

I guess I lucked out big time and picked it up while it was fresh and new and nobody was willing to pay for it. :)
  • Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    about $1200 @ the mo (converted from £) but it is stunning. really fookin nice man. i like traynors, built well & sound superb.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • yeah im in a dilema whether to get:

Traynor YCV20 (red)
    Traynor YCV40 (red)
    Fender Deluxe Reverb (ebay)
    Fender Concert Reverb (ebay)

ycv20 - is only 15 watts, im not sure if i want to spend 600$ on something onlny 5 watts more than what i have now, plus 15 watts will just barely get over drums when jamming

ycv40 - i would get this in a heart beat, but, i dont know if 40 watts is too much for the place i live in

deluxe reverb - doesnt have any mids! although 22watts is perfect for me, plus it would be through ebay cuz i cant do 800$

concert reverb - i would get this in a heart beat as well, only if the price was a lot lower...its hard to find them on ebay, but i found one for 700$ and that will go up and i cant afford that...i like where its 50 watts but switchable to 12 to practice...
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • or...does anyone own a reverend amp?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd say a Traynor. It's got the right power tubes for the classic PJ sound.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    or...does anyone own a reverend amp?
    A bunch of guys do on Gearpage and Toyz and they rave about them. Many are gigging players. Do a HC search and you'll find what you are looking for.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • i was leanign towards a traynor the reverd deluxe is tempting and i like the idea of a one chanel amp but i don't think i could afford it with a pedal

can anyone give me an overview of the traynor amps as far as positives and negatives in regards to tone and quality? that would be awsome, thanks
  • also, one nagative thing i heard about Traynor amps is that they can be a bit starile and lifeless, at least in stock form, does anyone else find this?
  • also, one nagative thing i heard about Traynor amps is that they can be a bit starile and lifeless, at least in stock form, does anyone else find this?

I've have heard nothing bad come out of a friend of mines tranor for the past two years he has played thru it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I've have heard nothing bad come out of a friend of mines tranor for the past two years he has played thru it.
    thanks, what model does your friend have?
  • i was leanign towards a traynor the reverd deluxe is tempting and i like the idea of a one chanel amp but i don't think i could afford it with a pedal

can anyone give me an overview of the traynor amps as far as positives and negatives in regards to tone and quality? that would be awsome, thanks

im getting mine in the mail either tuesday or wed...ill let you know then :)
  • im getting mine in the mail either tuesday or wed...ill let you know then :)
    K, Thanks!