Favorite PJ drummer?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
For best overall technique and fit with the songs I'd go with Dave A.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    matt cameron, he was a genious in soundgarden
  • DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    Jack Irons hands down.
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Matt Cameron.

Plus I share a birthday with the guy.
  • Matt Cameron and Jack Irons are 2 EMORMOUSLY talented drummers. I'd take either one any day..

Dave A is more overrated than Kurt Cobain in April frankly.

He had no flow.. he was too mechanical... uptight..

Jack and Matt (especially Jack) make you feel the flow of the song in your bones.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • yes...matt is wonderful playing the drums i wish i'd play like him...but isn't pete townshead a drummer hero???
  • black eyed wrote:
    yes...matt is wonderful playing the drums i wish i'd play like him...but isn't pete townshead a drummer hero???

Keith Moon?

I don't like Dave's live playing. I'm not really a fan of the double kick without the double kick pedal thing he always does.

I really like both Matt and Jack. Matt's playing in Soundgarden is unbelievable and it's pretty tight with PJ too. Jack is one cool mofo though... Hard to tell. I bet that if Jack had not of decided to leave, he'd still be there for sure.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I think that Jack Irons was the best drummer for Pearl Jam. I love Matt, but in my heart he'll always be better w/ SG...and even WWC. I prefer Matt when he's moving it around in odd time signatures...not much call for that in PJ.

In reality, PJ has never had a bad drummer. They've been extremely fortunate in that regard.
  • I rly think Dave Abbruzzese is the best, matt cam not far behind tho!
    I just dont think that matt's playing style quite fits in as wel las dave's did. His work on VS is amazing and if you've ever seen him play porch live..well
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • Matty C!
    Pearl Jam finally seemed like the roughest waters were behind them and only a sea of genius lay before them when matt joined the band.
    I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing.

EF-PSYCHO-03!!!
  • Let me say that Dave Abruzzese should of never been let go, just listen to the albums and bootlegs he drummed on, ITS FUCKING AMAZING and made the band sound much tighter.
    "Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
    "Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
  • Let me say that Dave Abruzzese should of never been let go, just listen to the albums and bootlegs he drummed on, ITS FUCKING AMAZING and made the band sound much tighter.

But apparently he was a real cunt...

;)
  • But apparently he was a real cunt...

;)

At least hopefully a tight one :)
    NERDS!
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    dave, i dunno why i like him more than matt and jack

they all rule though
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • YOU CAN KILL ME...well i haven't listen very much to the who so i don't know who is who...okay keith moon is the drummer...not pete townshend...who's the guitarrist and song writer...i confound him with pete...too many names...well,sorry you can kill me...i only know all about nirvana,pearl jam,sex pistols and placebo...but the who...i listened to them and the drummer is...well one of the better ones i've listened too...
    KILL ME,your black eyed
  • Deeve wrote:
    Jack Irons hands down.

Great quote you got there Deeve. The first time I heard that from Benaroya I laughed my ass off.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Let me say that Dave Abruzzese should of never been let go, just listen to the albums and bootlegs he drummed on, ITS FUCKING AMAZING and made the band sound much tighter.

I completely respect your opinion but I completely disagree with you. I've got a couple hundred PJ boots over the years, have been to many shows, play guitar and a bit of drums myself and here is what I have observed about the "main 3" drummers we always talk about...

Dave A.
    Dave is a great drummer who had/has incredible energy. The man loved his cymbals! He played with a lot of intensity which was great for the band then. While Dave had some killer fills, he ofter over-extended them whereby getting off beat. Many times the band would have to regroup half way thru a song. Every band has this happen from time to time, but it happened a lot then. The shows back then were very raw, very intense, but overall not that great.

Jack
    Jack was incredible. What he did for the band at the time was something that I miss today. So many of you say Jack was the "best". I think Jack was fantastic, but not the best. He was in my opinion the worst live drummer the band has had. His ability to change up the tempo, create his own unique and often "funky" beats was amazing. Of all the drummers I think he "felt it" the most. What I miss about Jack more than anything is how the band as a whole experimented more. I listen to boots from the mid 90s and hear how they changed up songs, added some sweet jams and just fucked around with their own sound...AMAZING!!! I wish they did that more today. The band however at this time was incredibly sloppy though, which is why I think he was the worst LIVE drummer. During songs, Jack would slow down, and speed up. So many times the guys would have to improvise to make up for it. His fills were good, but not always appropriate.

Matt
    Matt is simply a machine. This is good and bad. So many like the energy of Dave, the funky-ness of Jack, which is why I think many of you don't put Matt up there with the other two. I miss that about both guys....BUT, Matt is the most solid drummer they've had. You don't see him get off beat hardly ever, he rarely misses a fill...and when he does fuck up it is so rare that the guys joke around about it. Matt in Soundgarden was a different Matt. It seems now, he's more "held back". Listen to some old SG boots!!! HOLY CRAP!! You can hardly tell it's him. Two different bands I know, but still. I think we are incredibly lucky to have Matt sitting with the sticks now.
  • I'm going to have to say Dave a, the reason is simply 3 letters...W.M.A.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    But apparently he was a real cunt...

;)

Not to split hairs here, but did you read "5AGAINST1"? Honestly Dave just seemed to want to be a rock star and enjoy the spills of victory, you know? The rest of the guys were trying to keep it real I guess. Ed never seemed to really like Dave, and you could tell that he was never destined to stay in the band. But he was the PERFECT drummer on Vs. (coincidentally my favorite PJ album). Oh my GOD the man played. I hope he's found a band to fit into and enjoy life. Nothing against Matt or Jack, they're also great drummers, I just think Dave was the man.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    no one has mentioned dave krusen yet. the drumming on ten rocks. i also love Dave A's playing (w.m.a is unbelievable) and jack irons and matt C are awesome too. the bottom line. we have been spoilt with awesome drummers.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • ChaenChaen Posts: 36
    Im going to have to go with Mr Cameron on this one.
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004

Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music

Tattooed your name on my arm i always said my girls a good luck charm.
  • Jack Irons
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    dave a. was the best pj drummer. jack irons was probably a better drummer at his peak but his peak wasn't in his pj days
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up