Cheap, 50's Fender Deluxe amps: Where can they be found?

Monkey ManMonkey Man Posts: 20
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
The Fender Deluxe is likely the most legendary amp in rock music: used by everyone from Scotty Moore to Neil Young.

But, my question is, where can I find OLD ('52-'59 maybe?) Fender Deluxe amps on sale for CHEAP? I have found several online for about 2,000 dollars, which is ridiculous. And the newfangled ones just aren't the same. So I'm looking for one that is cheap in modern amp standards, ranging from 1-200 maybe?

(Sadly that might be too much to ask)

THANKS
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you probably won't find an original that works for under 2 grand. I have not personally seen one under 2200.

1 or 200 dollars is damn near impossible unless you find it in a yard sale or pawn shop and you act like it's crap.

for some outstanding reasonable authentic repros, http://www.clarkamplification.com might be the first spot to check out, then maybe Kendrick or Victoria.

Unfortunately that sound, does not exactly come cheap. But you can certainly do better than 2200

http://www.clarkamplification.com/premuimtweedreplicas.htm

The Beaufort is exactly the sound you are looking for at $1300 new. Maybe cheaper if you can find one used. Keep the circuit in mind and just search for it around.

clarks are some of the best because of the attention to detail. He uses variac's to get the proper transformers at the correct voltage the ancient circuits want to see.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Garage sales, estate auctions, and second-hand stores.

It's like trying to get an all-original cherry '67 Camaro for $3,000. It's been done, and if you succeed, you're the envy of almost every musician I know. Anyone who knows what a tweed Deluxe IS, will charge every penny of what it's worth. So your only hope is to find a sucker.

That said, there are a few tube amps that will get you close for not much money. A Peavey Classic 20 gets you the looks and tubes for $200-300. A silverface (67-78ish) Fender Champ will be in your price range and have the best approximation of the sound you want for the price you can afford.

And a quick FYI: the boutique guys (Clark, Victoria, Kendrick, et al) are making clones, but there aren't any official Fender reissues of the tweed Deluxes. And Neil plays blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb amps (1964-66) if memory serves correct. The reissue of the bf Deluxe Reverb is actually really nice... not perfect by any means, but still a great amp.

If it makes any of you suckers jealous... I MAY be able to scam a really nice blackface DR for about $500... I'm working on it... *knocks on wood*
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Garage sales, estate auctions, and second-hand stores.

It's like trying to get an all-original cherry '67 Camaro for $3,000. It's been done, and if you succeed, you're the envy of almost every musician I know. Anyone who knows what a tweed Deluxe IS, will charge every penny of what it's worth. So your only hope is to find a sucker.

That said, there are a few tube amps that will get you close for not much money. A Peavey Classic 20 gets you the looks and tubes for $200-300. A silverface (67-78ish) Fender Champ will be in your price range and have the best approximation of the sound you want for the price you can afford.

And a quick FYI: the boutique guys (Clark, Victoria, Kendrick, et al) are making clones, but there aren't any official Fender reissues of the tweed Deluxes. And Neil plays blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb amps (1964-66) if memory serves correct. The reissue of the bf Deluxe Reverb is actually really nice... not perfect by any means, but still a great amp.

If it makes any of you suckers jealous... I MAY be able to scam a really nice blackface DR for about $500... I'm working on it... *knocks on wood*

I am jealous. *wishes you would get the damn uniphase clips posted* :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I am jealous. *wishes you would get the damn uniphase clips posted* :D

I think it's a '66 (doesn't have a date code on the tube chart, but I could date a transformer or something).

And I'm getting around to sound clips... we just sent the album off to master, so we're almost wrapped up on my end... I promised Eric something within about a week.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BriansGMCBriansGMC Posts: 33
    a good friend of mine bought a 60's Fender Vibrolux (one of the tan tolex ones) for $52 at a high school auction then he sold it for $1200 2 months later after he couldn't find any place to get it retubed (it still had the original tubes in it and one was broke)