I'm looking for a wahwah that's right for me

Monkey ManMonkey Man Posts: 20
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
(I felt the urge to make a slight NY reference in the title)

Anyhow, I'm looking for an old-fashioned wah-wah pedal, one with a Hendrix sound or one like that of Eric Clapton during Cream. And I'm looking for low price level too, I'm flat broke right now, so once I make 40-50 bucks I'm gonna buy one, likely used.

Thanks for your help!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Sounds like you want a standard Vox to me. It's what I have, and it gets it done.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Monkey ManMonkey Man Posts: 20
    Sounds like you want a standard Vox to me. It's what I have, and it gets it done.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm also looking at the classic Crybaby right now.

Anyhow, do you know what McCready uses?
  • mike uses a Dunlop 535Q Crybaby.

it's what i have, and it gets the job done.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    standard Vox Used on Ebay. Later on you can true bypass it and replace the inductor with a Fasel or Halo or Stack of Dimes, whatever you can find.

The Std vox is by far the best bang for the buck.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i use a Dunlop Crybaby 535Q...thats what mike uses too

its great, you can get different frequencies...different tones...the volume of the wah...theres a button u can push in to give u a louder wah for like solos and shit, but sometimes its too loud and i dont use it....when u get it, it comes with a book and shows u different settings u can use that will get u a persons sound...for example they have the jimmy paige voodoo child setting, jimmy page dazed and confused setting, tom morello (RATM, Audioslave) setting, i forget what else

for the extra money i would get the 535q over the classic crybaby...the sound of the hendrix fuzz wah, is decent

but hendrix used the vox wah, i have no experience with it though
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The standard Vox is heads and tails above the standard Crybaby. Some of the higher-model Crybaby models are good, but not the cheap one. For the price, go with Vox. If you have some money ($300 or more) there are some pretty cool wahs out there, but if you're looking for cheap, go Vox.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.