'82 les paul studio

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
saw this thing at my local music store (which only sells low end guitars)....it's only $700 bucks, they said it was a trade in...honeyburst, it sure looked cool, i didn't plug it in

am i right that if the serial number starts with 82 that means its from 1982?

how could an LP be so cheap? are these known to be good? should i grab it before someone else does?
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the first and fifth numbers are the year digits.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    exhausted wrote:
    the first and fifth numbers are the year digits.
    Yup - YDDDYPPP
    YY shows year of production,
    DDD shows the day in the year (out of 365),
    PPP shows rank and plant it came from (001 to 499 for Kalamazoo and 500 to 999 for Nashville).
    For example a serial number like: 90530532
    Made in 1990, 53rd day (i.e. Feb 22nd that year), in Nashville (32nd instrument stamped that day).

Studio's are cheaper versions of the LP, so they aren't as highly valued or sought after as Standards & Customs.
    The value really DEPENDS on the model/version of the Studio (there were a lot of different Studio versions made).
    You'll need to figure out which version it is for an estimate (let me know & I'll give you the 2009 Blue-Book value).
    STUDIO Prices can range anywhere from $400-$1000 in Excellent All Original Condition (depending on the version).
    Excellent means well maintained with NO significant blemishes, wear, repairs, or damage.
    All Original means the instrument has the parts and finish it had when it left the factory.
    Replacement parts and refinishes greatly affect the value, as can the appropriate/original case.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ok Ian, there's a shitload of info, thanks!

well i copied the serial number to my phone, its 82606553

so it was made on the 260th day of 1986 (mid-September if my math is right), in Nashville
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    ok Ian, there's a shitload of info, thanks!
    well i copied the serial number to my phone, its 82606553
    so it was made on the 260th day of 1986 (mid-September if my math is right), in Nashville
    yup -september 17th 2006 (it was a wednesday), made in nashville, 53rd instrument stamped that day.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    yup -september 17th 2006 (it was a wednesday), made in nashville, 53rd instrument stamped that day.
    well, based on that alone, can you tell if it might be a quality instrument or not? worth $700?
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    well, based on that alone, can you tell if it might be a quality instrument or not? worth $700?
    Nope - I'd need to know which version it is to give you an estimate.
    As I said, they can range from $400-$1000 (depending on the version).
    Personally I wouldn't buy it without knowing which Studio version it is.
    Who knows, it might only be only worth $400 (or it could be even less
    depending on the condition - ask Gibson, they can tell you all about it).
    As I said, find out which version & I'll give you the 2009 Blue-Book value.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Nope - I'd need to know which version it is to give you an estimate.
    As I said, they can range from $400-$1000 (depending on the version).
    Personally I wouldn't buy it without knowing which Studio version it is.
    Who knows, it might only be only worth $400 (and it could be even less
    depending on the condition - ask Gibson, they'll be able to tell you about it).
    As I said, find out which version it is & I'll give you the 2009 Blue-Book value.
    yeah i don't need it, i already have an LP, this just really struck me as odd cuz i used to work at this music store and they only sell low end shit, and now here is this old LP for only $700 bucks in their shop.....but thanks for all the info....but i might pop in one more time to check it out and see which version it is