playing loud music/hearing loss

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited September 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
my head was pounding all day from last nights practice

i do believe, basically any time you experience loud noise to the point it hurts or your ears ring, you suffer hearing loss - which is permanent and not coming back

i used to wear headphones listening to a cassette player every single day in high school and college...once i learned about hearing loss, never wore them again....don't own an i-pod

been trying to be careful, but now i'll be deaf as hell, thanks to my band....then again, neil young, pete townshend, etc still have some hearing in their 60's

and i kept saying in practice my ears were hurting, but no one else said they felt the same....maybe my ears are sensitive cuz i had swimmers ear this summer

huh? what?
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    ear.

plugs.

pete can barely hear anything.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Pete Townshend is completely deaf in one ear because of what happened at the end of this performance
    (4:26 - Keith Moon blowing up his drums, dumbass): http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=7xZOrWK6d4g&feature=related
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Yeah I wear earplugs at ALL my practices now.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • That's been talked about with me. I used to stick my head in the bass drum when I soloed. Not a good idea. I've lost a lot of hearing. I'm only 20, haha.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • There are a few things you can do to prevent hearing loss without using ear plugs.

1) Never use a full stack. You are better off using a half stack that you are not standing directly next to. David Gilmour did this for years and he still has a great deal of his hearing.

2) If you practice or play in small areas, make your drummer play lighter. Stick pillows in the kick drum and place towels over the toms if you have to.
  • If you listen to music at normal volumes with decent headphones then there's nothing wrong with that.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    If you listen to music at normal volumes with decent headphones then there's nothing wrong with that.
    Oh yeah i agree with this and you can listen forever at reasonable loudness levels and you would not do any damage at all.

Everyones different though, depends on the individuals susceptibility and for how loud you are going at it and for how long. The closer you get to your eardrum, the less volume you need to hear because the sound has less distance to travel, and if you are using headphones they are just going over your ear (not inside) so the potential to screw your hearing up is going to be less because the volume is escaping out. Bit of a different story with earbuds, cause all the volume is in your ear canal. When i have my ipod crammed in my ear it's so tempting to crank it up even louder because you can hear the 'outside noises' as well and that's when you can do the damage because the ear bud is closer to the tympanic membrane. (on a side note, is it bad that it actually feels real good when you do jam it in there, like gah get rid of that itch dammit!)

I wear ear plugs nearly all the time now when we're practing up loud. You can still hear everything, and the quality of what we are putting out is not reduced (assuming we are on our game ;), it's just not as loud)
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    I use these: http://www.hearos.com

They cut out certain frequencies for drums and other instruments, which make it a lot more bearable to play/listen when in small spaces or if it's loud. These aren't those cheap foam ear plus either. These are made of rubber/plastic, and actually SCREW into your ear, making sure there's a good seal.

As far as basic common sense...if it hurts, stop doing it. Guess Darwin's Theory will weed you out!
  • kitfoo wrote:
    I use these: http://www.hearos.com

They cut out certain frequencies for drums and other instruments, which make it a lot more bearable to play/listen when in small spaces or if it's loud. These aren't those cheap foam ear plus either. These are made of rubber/plastic, and actually SCREW into your ear, making sure there's a good seal.

As far as basic common sense...if it hurts, stop doing it. Guess Darwin's Theory will weed you out!

Those are what I use too.
    They work damn well.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas