Neil Young vs Eddie Van Halen

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Who do you prefer and why?

Who is "better"?

I think your answer says a lot about you as a guitarist/musician, and probably as a person as well.

ps - i haven't been on here in a while, and i guess i'm just bursting with ideas for stupid threads
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    neil young by 1000000000000000000000000000000000000
    i cant stand any of van halen
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    sadly these are the kinds of comparisons some people make around here completely seriously...

that being said... neil... by far... he could shred like eddie if he wanted to... he just doesnt :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • I think 100% the winner is:

Them!

We're posting on a message board. Whaddya think they're doing right now! :D
    They are both amazing guitarists. To me it's the emotion and impact that the music makes, not the skills or speed out of any instrument.
    The guitar sound that hits me right in the heart and brain is at a Neil Young show when he pulls into his first solo and he gets that piercing vibrato going. It just doesn't get any more emotional than that to me. That's the sound that makes the hairs stand up on my arms and neck at a show. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Who is "better"?

I think your answer says a lot about you as a guitarist/musician, and probably as a person as well.

ps - i haven't been on here in a while, and i guess i'm just bursting with ideas for stupid threads
    You can't compare them, it's like comparing apples and oranges.
    I read this article a couple of years ago and thought how dead on he was.
    Neil Young - Talking about People Who go to school to learn guitar...

It would give you a rather sad view of your future, wouldn't it? First off, nobody cares if you know how to play scales. Nobody gives a shit if you have good technique or not. It's whether you have feelings that you want to express with music, that's what counts, really. When you are able to express yourself and feel good, then you know why you're playing. The technical aspect is absolute hogwash as far as I'm concerned. It bores me to tears. I can't play fast. I don't even know my scales. I know that most of the notes I play aren't where I play them. They're simply not there. So you can play any note you like. I think about it on another level, I don't care about that sort of shit. On the other hand, I appreciate really great guitarists, and I'm very impressed by those metal groups with their scale guitarists. When I see that, I go «Holy shit, that's really something». Satriani and Eddie Van Halen are guitar geniuses. They are incredible musicians, at an amazing level. But it does'nt really grab me. One note will do.
    http://www.thrasherswheat.org/ptma/Frenchguitar492.htm

Edit to add. I am not advocating that people should not learn their scales ;), I posted this article to show the huge difference between how Neil plays, and what's important to him. Complete contrast to EVH.
  • We're really talking heart vs head here, and, like you all, as a guitarist I have a heart, and ... er ... I like a bit of head now and again. And rawwwwwk will certainly get you that. :D
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I really love CSN&Y, but I've never been all that into Neil Young as a solo artist (I actually think Stephen Stills might be a better guitarist).
    Young's individual music has just never really appealed to me - I'm like ehhh. Therefore if pressed I guess I'd say I prefer Eddie Van Halen
    (though I'm not a huge fan - far from it actually). They have completely different styles. They are completely different types of players.
    :confused:So STUFFNJUNK . . . what does this say about me as a guitarist, musician, and person??? :confused:

- Ian

BTW, Van Halen has always said that he plays by feeling, & never counts, which is why he needs cues for everything. He actually said he
    looked to his son for all the cues on their last tour because he "can't count" (I'm not defending this because I think this completely sucks).
    I think a really good musician has it all, feeling and technical ability all rolled into one - look at players like Steve Morse or Allan Holdsworth.
    Now I'm not a huge fan of either of these guys - I just think they are both really good technical players, and really good overall musicians.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Holdsworth? His improvisational ability is immense, and yes, it suggests a great artistic sensibility transcending his enormous technical facility. But that MIDI stuff? Jeeze, he's also responsible for the worst lift muzak in fusion history.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    While I love me some "Jump" and "Dance the Night Away", I gotta give this one to Uncle Neil. Van Halen can write pop songs (and they are pop) but Neil Young does exactly what he said in Pj_gurl's quote- songwriting is about feeling. Scales are about finger exercises and practice. I think that's kind of why Neil Young songs are so easy and fun to play- any dope with a guitar (myself included) can figure out a Neil Young song and have fun with it.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I really love CSN&Y, but I've never been all that into Neil Young as a solo artist (I actually think Stephen Stills might be a better guitarist).

Yikes. I am sure Stills would tell you otherwise.

Other than that two different kind of guitarists. Probably Eddie is "better", but it should be a Van Halen vs. Steven Vai or something
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Holdsworth? His improvisational ability is immense, and yes, it suggests a great artistic sensibility transcending his enormous technical facility. But that MIDI stuff? Jeeze, he's also responsible for the worst lift muzak in fusion history.

Holdsworth is from another planet as guitarist go.
  • Smellyman wrote:
    Yikes. I am sure Stills would tell you otherwise.

Other than that two different kind of guitarists. Probably Eddie is "better", but it should be a Van Halen vs. Steven Vai or something

Don't spread it around, but I always thought Sammy Hagar played the most enjoyable solos in Van Halen.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I appreciate Neil Young's guitar playing so much more, but there's still a 16 year old kid inside me that gets hot for teacher now and then.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Neil Young definitely. EVH plays solos so people can hear it and say, "wow, that Eddie Van Halen sure is great." Neil plays solos so people can hear it and say, "wow, that was a great song."
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    worst thread ever

Apples to oranges
  • billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    Love them both, they both give me different experiances ...
    I like to play songs by both ...But I sing heart of gold to put my kids to bed not eruption...
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    As a musician, you don't rate people as "better" than others. You just gain tremendous respect for each individual's style.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    ballgame wrote:
    worst thread ever

Apples to oranges
    Agreed.
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    Neils art makes a much more direct connection with ME than Eddie's does. It's probably due to how I was raised, and what kind of person I am. It feels more "pure" and "earthy" as opposed to Eddie's which is more like frosting on a spaceship which some people are totally down with.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    hot for teacher vs. cortez the killer

hmmmm.

i much prefer neil young's body of work. i don't listen to van halen at all. as brilliant as the hot for teacher video is. ;)

for whatever that says about me.

i don't like listening to solos with millions of notes generally. however impressive they may be.

i feel there is greater talent (or at least a greater gift) in creating music with emotional impact, depth, resonance....

ny wins for me.
  • BibbsBibbs Posts: 229
    OMG I cant even believe you have compared the 2.... what is this world coming too! :)
    ••• Immortality •••
    www.myspace.com/kosmicjelli
  • neil.

I prefer playing the really sweet, juicy notes...rather than just playing ALL of them
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    This is neither difficult nor a million notes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqsuet6lMzE&feature=related
    Sure you can overplay the solo's & ad-lib parts, but the tune's basically 3-chords & a little attitude.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    George Lynch is better than both of those hacks. Seriously.

To the question at hand, I like Neil fine, but EVH is on another planet when it comes to shredding. Different types of music and hard to compare.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    seanw1010 wrote:
    neil young by 1000000000000000000000000000000000000
    i cant stand any of van halen

agreed
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG