'52 tele reissue

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
thinking of getting this and i'd like some feedback....yes i know you have to play it yourself, and i have spent HOURS at guitar center testing out teles...i have a strat and a LP and i am itching for a tele to round out what i consider the "triple crown" or "holy trinity" or whatever of guitars

anyhow, when testing the 52 vs the american standard, i noticed a difference....when switching between pickups on the 52, you get a wide range of sounds, from ear splitting treble to total mushy bass (i'm not one to use technical terms)

on the american standard, i didn't notice much difference between pickups, very slight difference to be sure

anyhow, as much as i've learned about playing guitar, i don't know much about gear..i have a LP that i love and think the world of, and then i see people on here saying gibsons are crap and overpriced and break if you sneeze near them, etc

so i want to hear from the Ians and Pacos, their thoughts on this guitar as opposed to other teles
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    they vary greatly in weight, for one thing. mine's under 7 pounds whereas lots are over eight.

mine is extremely resonant and a joy to play but i think mine might be a bit of a ringer. hard to tell though as mine's lefty and i can't compare to much.

when i bought mine though, i did fiddle with a few righties upside down to compare as much as i could.

i have a 96 am std tele and they're night and day as far as weight, feel and liveliness. everything just feels jumpier.

the 52 is made of ash, the am std. of alder.

the neck is big, but i like big necks. i don't like the thinner profile of the am std anymore.

i don't find the bridge ice picky or the neck mushy but yes, you do get a wide range. perhaps a symptom of the body wood and added resonance. i can't really comment on am std pickups anymore as my 96 has SCNs in it now. i like the pickups in the 52 more.

anyway, i love mine. i don't play much anymore but when i do, it's usually my 52.

check out the hot rod 52 as well, since you're righty and can. i like the idea of the mini humbucker in the neck.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    i was going to buy one of these before i got a great deal on my deluxe ash tele. imo they are both great guitars. i liked the neck on the 52 slightly better, probally the different frets. i like the sound of the scn's slightly better than the ones in the 52. they felt the same other than the bridge. i would have been happy with either of them. the deluxe weighed slightly more. both necks were large. i love large necks though, so that wasnt a problem for me. most lps have thicker necks than most teles anyway, so if your used to an lp neck it wont seem much larger(maybe even smaller, depending on what lp model you have.) if i were you and really liked it, i would say go for it. no negative comments about it from me.

BTW, if you are looking at that thread with the link to that guitar store in vegas about the necks, dont believe a word from it. the owner of the store tries to show negative aspects of the "bigger brands" to try to sell his POS guitars.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Personally they are one of my favorite guitars Especially the U shaped neck. I'm actually a big fan of the esquire too. Perhaps even moreso. One of my favorite guitars I've ever had the pleasure of playing was a 62 Esquire. single pickup with a dark circuit.

I'd love to get a tele with a tummy rib and shoulder cut for comfort. but that would be a custom build from somewhere.

Pickups and tone ranges are wildly subjective and in many cases you can love the guitar and the pickups don't work with your rig. The Hot Rod 52 with the Seymour Duncan mini humbucker in the neck is very nice to me. I like the bridge pickups a lot but it's pretty common to dislike the tone and find it thin. That's why there are so many aftermarket pickup options.

Pickups and tone capacitors as well as potentiometer values can have effects on the range of tones. The 52 RI is intended to be as original as possible (within the price point Fender wants obviously) so in some cases guitars like the AS series have different tone ranges between the pickups because thats what players and testers have asked for or that's what sounded best with modern amp EQ's and speakers etc to the testers.

It's pretty common that people love or hate the Fender bridge pickup.

It's also generally well accepted to ignore Ed Roman and never darken the door of his store. I don't think I've ever heard one positive story.

If you like your Gibson that's great. I have one myself. They make plenty of excellent guitars. The 50's neck has always been one of my favorites and I love SG's. Especially the Townsend SG. There are plenty of things that have annoyed me with fender over the years too and both companies have made strides in Quality in several aspects of production. Any large manufacturer is going to turn out some crap and some great stuff. It's just the way things go and it's one reason there is a huge aftermarket and plenty of custom or even extremely successful shops like PRS and Schecter to name two.

If you like really fat necks you might try Bill Nash if you can find one, I personally hate the relicing not my thing at all but he makes a baseball bat neck.

It depends mainly on what you like, ash and maple make for a bright guitar in general but the rhythm pickups are nice and articulate to my ear without getting muddy and I like the bridge pickup but I don't use a heap of treble on my amps either and generally only use it with overdrives engaged so the highs are already knocked down.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    oh wait, i forgot, the 52 reissue is wired as per the traditional manner and the "neck" position is the neck pup with the tone all rolled off.

i keep forgetting about that. that's why you thought it was muddy compared to the am std.

i rewired mine to modern.
    exhausted wrote:
    oh wait, i forgot, the 52 reissue is wired as per the traditional manner and the "neck" position is the neck pup with the tone all rolled off.

i keep forgetting about that. that's why you thought it was muddy compared to the am std.

i rewired mine to modern.

I kind of wish they would just make some stock 52RI's with modern wiring. It makes the rhythm pickup way more flexible.

you had some with 4 way switching too didn't you Ex?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    my 96 has/had 4-way switching.

i honestly can't remember if it still does or not. i think so. i just haven't played it in so long. i know i redid the wiring at some point again after setting it up with SCNs.

how bad is that? too much gear. not enough brain cells.
  • The Tele was my third guitar of the 'Trinity', Hat Trick, whatever, and there is just this intangeble thing about a Telecaster, it seems to get into your blood or something. You find yourself going to it time and time again, sort of like an ex girlfriend that you can't get out of your system. Those 52 Reissues with the fat neck take a little getting used to and then they are so comfortable to play. Good luck with with it, man, I know you will enjoy it.
    exhausted wrote:
    my 96 has/had 4-way switching.

i honestly can't remember if it still does or not. i think so. i just haven't played it in so long. i know i redid the wiring at some point again after setting it up with SCNs.

how bad is that? too much gear. not enough brain cells.

not so bad considering you saved the brain cells for the job and family. :D
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    I want a Tele so bad. Except I want a Tele body with a Strat neck. Rich Patrick from Filter has one and I loved on first site

I was thinking of building my own at Warmoth but takes about 10 weeks to get it

What I think Im going to do is get aMexi Tele and change the PUs and give it a good tune up. My guitar repair guy (Ron Kayfield for anyone in the Philly area) told me that good Mexi guitars compare to American if you give a tune up and chance the PUs. Thats what he said abotu my Mexi Strat. Told me its one of the best gutiars he has played. Which is a fluke because when I bought at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY I didnt even play it. I just bought it off the rack
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well i spent over an hour at Guitar Center today Tele-testing

i love the look and feel of the '52, but the neck pickup is so muddy it seems useless.....maybe it would be cool for my e-bow though, but i never use my e-bow in the current cover band i'm in

the american standard had a more "useable" neck pickup, but as i said there's really not a great deal of difference between the bridge and neck pickups

so do i want the awesome looking '52 reissue with a wide range of sound? (even though some of that range would seldom get used)

.....or the american standard with more useable sound options, even though they are more similar?

.....or do i get a cheaper model tele, which is probably the most sensible thing of all....but, if i'm gonna spend $600 or so on a cheap one and still be yearning for the '52, why not save twice as long and spend $1200 on the '52 and get it over with, and probably never look to upgrade?????

i'm flat broke right now, so this is a moot point for awhile anyhow
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i love the look and feel of the '52, but the neck pickup is so muddy it seems useless.....maybe it would be cool for my e-bow though, but i never use my e-bow in the current cover band i'm in

the american standard had a more "useable" neck pickup, but as i said there's really not a great deal of difference between the bridge and neck pickups

so do i want the awesome looking '52 reissue with a wide range of sound? (even though some of that range would seldom get used)

.....or the american standard with more useable sound options, even though they are more similar?

just rewire it to modern wiring. or get the shop too. it will cost very little and then you'll solve that problem. the guitar even comes with the parts to do it.