volume pedals

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
it just occurred to me that instead of always using the volume knob on my guitar and having problems working out a good volume, maybe one of these would be of use.......does everyone have one of these, and i have just overlooked them in favor of buying cool effect type pedals?
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've been looking to get a cheap one but I can't usually seem to find them. In musicians friend, they had some Rogue ones for 17 bucks...I can't find them anymore.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • i really want an ernie ball junior v/p. they are sweet

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • i really want an ernie ball junior v/p. they are sweet
    do they do anything other than just raise or lower the volume?
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If you use it in conjunction with chorus you can get this really cool "swell" type noise.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    At one time I used 2 volume pedals (one before my effects and one after) so I could do some really intricate things without tieing my
    hands up with the guitars volume knob, which also allowed me to keep playing without chaining my technique or reaching for anything.
    Now I just have one at the end on my chain to controle overall volume (I use my guitars volume to controle how hard the guitar hits
    effects). You can even build your own volume pedal if you have an extra (or broken) wah that you don't use anymore.

The Problem I've found with the ERNIE BALL Volume is that it uses a "string", which is known to break, and the pots tend to get fuzzy.

Boss makes a really nice one now called an FV500L (low-impedance) or a FV500H (high-impedance).
    click here: FV500L - Goes for $99 most places

I've also looked into the Visual Sound Volume Pedal, which has 10 LED's on the side so you can see exactly where you are volume-wise.
    click here: 10th Anniversary Visual Volume - Goes for $139 most places.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • I just got a Boss FV500H and i can definitely recommend it.

Price and quality of build is pretty darn good
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    What would be better, low or high impedance? I remember reading somewhere that some Z.Vex effects had high (like 5M ohm) impedance, and it increased the clarity of the signal (good).
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    LOW IMPEDANCE IS USED AFTER YOUR EFFECTS (like for controling the overall volume after your effects).
    HIGH IMPEDANCE IS USUALLY FOR USE BEFORE EFFECTS, AND IF YOU USE ACTIVE PICKUPS (like EMG's).

- Ian
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    LOW IMPEDANCE IS USED AFTER YOUR EFFECTS (like for controling the overall volume after your effects).
    HIGH IMPEDANCE IS USUALLY FOR USE BEFORE EFFECTS, AND IF YOU USE ACTIVE PICKUPS (like EMG's).

- Ian

Ian? May wanna review that.
    biffhardon wrote:
    Ian? May wanna review that.
    Ohh shit, I just realized that I wrote the exact opposite of what I meant (who's tired - I have a 9-month old, but that's no excuse, sorry).
    Thanks for catching that BIFF (boy do I feel like a tard).
    Okay, backtracking, what I meant to write is:

HIGH IMPEDANCE IS USED AFTER YOUR EFFECTS (like for controlling the overall volume after your effects)
    The 500H is high impedance for mono guitar or expression pedal control using a high resistance pot (think passive pickups).

LOW IMPEDANCE IS USUALLY USED BEFORE EFFECTS AND IF YOU USE ACTIVE PICKUPS (like EMG's).
    The 500L is stereo and works with low impedance signals for keyboards or active electronics or expression control with a low resistance pot.
    Dudes, sorry for the laps.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I've had an Ernie Ball Jr for a couple of years and it's great.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"