check out my cover band (i know no one ever does)

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.myspace.com/sowasredcovers

just started up this band and recorded some songs......i am the guy with the les paul......our lead guitarist really does his thing on Superstition, and i do the solo in Livin' on a Prayer.....been hearing that our singer is not that great, but i really want to stick with him, he is such a cool guy....and you can see how he gets the crowd going in the Sweet Caroline and Livin' on a Prayer videos

say what you will about cover bands, but it feels great to play songs people know that get the whole place singing and dancing...this is the closest i'll ever get to being a rock star.....thats fine with me
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    Not bad, sounds pretty good. Your singer sounds pretty good on some songs, could use some work on some others...maybe try picking songs that fit his voice a little better.

But my biggest question is...no Pearl Jam?!
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Uncle Neil wrote:

But my biggest question is...no Pearl Jam?!
    we do Alive, but i really want to cut it.....i think its a good thing to "kill your idols" and do something different...the point of this band is to play all the cheesy hits and not what we personally like...but my guitar, pedals, and playing style are all very much Pearl Jam
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    If you're not a member of ASCAP (or similar) be very careful about performing and posting covers - you may end up in a world of hurt.
    Read this: click: April 17, 2008 ASCAP LAUNCHES 'BILL OF RIGHTS FOR SONGWRITERS AND COMPOSERS'
    This Bill centers around 10 core principles - I really suggest everyone that plays cover tunes out in public (or posts versions online) to read this.
    Cheers . . .

- Your friendly neighborhood session-man (Ian)
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    http://www.myspace.com/sowasredcovers

just started up this band and recorded some songs......i am rhythm guitarist with the les paul......our lead guitarist really does his thing on Superstition.....been hearing that our singer is not that great, don't know how long we should give him to get it together.....i know he sounds pretty rough on Summer of 69.....but you can see how he gets the crowd going in the Sweet Caroline video

say what you will about cover bands, but it feels great to play songs people know that get the whole place singing and dancing...this is the closest i'll ever get to being a rock star.....thats fine with me
    also love the audience participation in 'livin on a prayer' on the youtube clip. they are loving it, awesome feeling for you dudes.
    wow, thanks ian, i had no idea...i will check that out...how does one become a member of ASCAP?

a professor told me a long time ago that certian venues have agreements with ASCAP or other music publishers...so lets say Madison Square Garden is strictly ASCAP, does that mean only ASCAP bands can play there? or if Pearl Jam plays there and plays a cover, it has to be a cover by an ASCAP band? thats what the professor said. i have a hard time believing these rules are adhered to, if these in fact are the rules
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    wow, thanks ian, i had no idea...i will check that out...how does one become a member of ASCAP?
    http://www.ascap.com/about/howjoin.asp
    or
    http://www.ascap.com/about/howjoin_print_choice.html
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    ok, i read the first page. it talks mostly about what it does for songwriters. how does it apply to cover bands? can you only play songs by ASCAP artists? do you have to pay royalties each time you play? for every song?
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    ok, i read the first page. it talks mostly about what it does for songwriters. how does it apply to cover bands? can you only play songs by ASCAP artists? do you have to pay royalties each time you play? for every song?
    ASCAP protects you from being sued (copyright infringement) for playing others tunes.
    Here, this was gone over before originally posted by Pacomc79: Legality of Tribute Bands/Covers
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    ASCAP protects you from being sued (copyright infringement) for playing others tunes.
    Here, this was gone over before originally posted by Pacomc79: Legality of Tribute Bands/Covers
    thanks, great info....one more question- do all 5 members of the band have to join? or just one? in the event that we get "caught" playing covers, do we all have to be members?
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    also love the audience participation in 'livin on a prayer' on the youtube clip. they are loving it, awesome feeling for you dudes.
    thanks! this was only our second gig...crowd went crazy for those songs at the first gig, i made sure to get video of them at the second gig!
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    thanks, great info....one more question- do all 5 members of the band have to join? or just one? in the event that we get "caught" playing covers, do we all have to be members?
    Many big clubs and live venues are ASCAP members, so you're covered playing there (just look for the sticker on the door).
    However, many clubs are not members of any of these types of associations, thus you're not covered playing there.
    Everyone in the band is playing music, right . . . thus everyone should join so they're covered.
    ASCAP cards are issued to individuals, not bands.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Many big clubs and live venues are ASCAP members, so you're covered playing there (just look for the sticker on the door).
    However, many clubs are not members of any of these types of associations, thus you're not covered playing there.
    Everyone in the band is playing music, right . . . thus everyone should join so they're covered.
    ASCAP cards are issued to individuals, not bands.
    ok, these might be my last 2 questions - if we join, then it is ok to post covers on the internet as long as they are by ASCAP artists? how do royalties get paid to the artists from something like that?
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    ok, these might be my last 2 questions - if we join, then it is ok to post covers on the internet as long as they are by ASCAP artists? how do royalties get paid to the artists from something like that?
    ASCAP members are covered (I honestly don't think it matters what songs you play if you have ASCAP behind you).
    Royalties: I went into that here: http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5139378&postcount=11
    Legality comes into play is if you are selling a CD with a cover (or covers) without paying royalties.
    And in that case you'd go through the Harry Fox Agency (as stated in the above link), and pay accordingly.

- Ian