anyone notice they "sweetened" ed's vocals on VH1

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
one of the yells in WWS and again in gone and life wasted...........i think they took the album versions to cover up some notes he hit that someone must have deemed "shitty"
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nooo....

dunno what you're listening too.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    How can you tell? I didn't notice anything.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    It's possible, but it is more likely that they pitch corrected the actual performance if they did anything at all. Then again, that would require more than a 2-mix...so who knows?

Where you at the performance when he didn't hit the notes the first time? This is an interesting topic for an audio weenie like myself.
  • I don't think that ed would want this to happen to his vocals...
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • I don't think that ed would want this to happen to his vocals...
    I doubt he'd have a say in the matter. VH1 does all the editing.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • you can buy pitch editors for recording software, bout 300-400. They work great if your allready a good singer, just to refine your allready great project. You can move them a semitone, and it doesnt5 change the timing at all. very handy and extremely easy to do as long as the vocal track is seperate from all others (which it wuold be anyways) i havent seen the performance, but its definately a good possibility

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    well,doesnt he ALWAYS have an effect on his voice anyway?
    The only recording I did in a studio,I refused it all...
    iguess I gotta mail it to mc now....:D
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    one of the yells in WWS and again in gone and life wasted...........i think they took the album versions to cover up some notes he hit that someone must have deemed "shitty"

i did notice when he screamed and backed away dropping his voice from the mic the volume stayed lthe same. seemed impossible.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • elstongunn wrote:
    i did notice when he screamed and backed away dropping his voice from the mic the volume stayed lthe same. seemed impossible.
    noticed that too.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • ^^ that wasn't "sweetening" it was just video editing.

Vh1 is all about appearances, so they made it look cool by picking and choosing shots and kept the same audio.

i've seen them do it before.

But,.. if it was in fact edited then it definetly wasn't the studio version.. they probably just increased ed's mic volume.

"Make our day"
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well i read how in 1992 eddie gave such a shitty performance of state of love and trust on the singles premeire special that brendan o'brien edited using the studio version in certain spots........and on stroytellers when he hits the last note of life wasted ( Agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiin!!!!) i'm telling you thats what it sounds like

and also in gone but i forget where offhand, and in WWS when he says the "truths already out there" he drops away from the mike for the word "there" but you still hear it

sometimes on Single Video Theory the sound and audio don't sync up........but that is different cuz they had many takes of each song, so they took one audio take and used the best video shots from different performances (eddie sometimes has on 2 different shirts in the course of one song!)

the setlist for the show has been released online.........if they only played each song once then where did they get these missing audio pieces form???????????????
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • i wish i could watch it to see

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    While I haven't seen the performance, I think you'll find audio engineers use things called "compressors" and "limiters" which a) stop loud spikes in the signal, like screams and plosives, and b) raise the level of quieter passages, such as those sung slightly off-mic. Sort of like "normalizing" on-the-fly. They probably recorded live with some mild compression, then hit it with some harder limiting on mixdown to raise the overall level. That's my guess, anyway.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    .....and "sweetened" is fancy hollywood lingo for, "add sugar to".
  • biffhardon wrote:
    While I haven't seen the performance, I think you'll find audio engineers use things called "compressors" and "limiters" which a) stop loud spikes in the signal, like screams and plosives, and b) raise the level of quieter passages, such as those sung slightly off-mic. Sort of like "normalizing" on-the-fly. They probably recorded live with some mild compression, then hit it with some harder limiting on mixdown to raise the overall level. That's my guess, anyway.
    *nods*

Mitch Hedburg is a God

...or maybe a martyr :(...

"Make our day"
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    biffhardon wrote:
    thats not the case here.........you have to see it