mike plays Yellow Ledbetter with something other than a Strat!!!

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v0loCmA47A0&feature=related

didn't know he ever did that!!

much more chilled out version of this song back then as well

him and stone will probably switch to those hollow body gibsons with no distortion the older they get, like keith richards!
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• And back in the exceptionally cool stage props days!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Listen to how much warmer, richer, rounder, and fuller Mikes sound is compared to his thin Strat sound.
    This is why I changed to a 335-style guitar for the majority of my gigs (it's been a couple of years now).
    The difference in Pure Tone is staggering - the semi-hollowbody gives you a much throatier fuller sound.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Just not the same without a strat though..
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    It's funny how much he looked like Kurt Cobain back then.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Just not the same without a strat though..
    Unfortunately most newbie's wouldn't know he wasn't using a Strat by just listening to this - they only know it
    because they see it on video (and someone mentioned "hey look, Mike's not using a Strat on Yellow Ledbetter").
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Unfortunately most newbie's wouldn't know he wasn't using a Strat by just listening to this - they only know it
    because they see it on video (and someone mentioned "hey look, Mike's not using a Strat on Yellow Ledbetter").
    I have a recording of this and I heard it before seeing this video and knew it wasn't a strat though...
  • outontheporchoutontheporch Posts: 172
    blasphemy
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I think it sounds exponentially better on that Gibson.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • somethings not right about that...
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    somethings not right about that...

Whats not right about that is some asshole crowd surfing during Yellow Ledbetter

:D
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
    onejourney wrote:
    Whats not right about that is some asshole crowd surfing during Yellow Ledbetter

:D
    hahahaha
  • pnjguypnjguy Posts: 28
    i can hear the difference and i don't like it. It's a matter of taste, its not science.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I like the gibson for the main riff, much fuller and warmer sounding, but for the solo the strat has more subtleties and kinda suits the tone better. Overall I prefer the strat, but nice find!
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I love, love, love that guitar. Beautiful tone. I do think Ledbetter sounds better on a strat though.
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    I must say that I like that tone so much more than the strat (I'm an LP guy)
    The solo isn't great though, playing wise
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    I agree about the crowd surfer. It seems Ed is purposefully not facing the crowd while singing this song because of it.

I think the opening sounds great on the Gibson. It sounds more original and less like Lenny. (Running and ducking for cover.)
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I think I have to agree that this tone is better, but the strat solo tone is better. Also, it could just be how much slower and laid back this version is compared to current day.
    Happiness is only real when shared
    LP has a fuller sound but it's just not the same without the strat. Both sounds glorious, though
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I agree about the crowd surfer. It seems Ed is purposefully not facing the crowd while singing this song because of it.

I think the opening sounds great on the Gibson. It sounds more original and less like Lenny. (Running and ducking for cover.)
    haha. I personally don't hear Lenny in it but I wont be chucking something in your direction.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    mike -> strat -> Yellow Leddbetter -> shows over -> time to go home..

Even though that's a sweet LP, the strat pwns ylb. everytime.

that is all.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    thats not a Les Paul...its a gibson hollowbody, i think a 335 like Ian said, the kind BB King uses or similar to it
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young