stone switching from LP to strat

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
any thoughts on this? yes i know he still uses the les paul, but it seems that strats have become his main axes......i'd say that is why the 2000 boots sound much "thicker and chunkier" than more recent boots......stone using strats has thinned out their sound i'd say
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• korbykorby Posts: 298
    mmm chunky calfs. eat em with a spoon ?
    its ok
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i knew i was gonna get some dumb responses......didn't think they'd be that dumb
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    does he use a strat for evenflow nowadays?
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I'm not sure about that. I personally have not heard many of PJ's most recent shows. but unless the guitars are vintage, I doubt very much Stone or Mike's guitars are stock. I heard that Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins often recorded with Les Pauls but used modded Strats on tour so that the more expensive guitars would not be destroyed. you CAN mod a Strat out to be as beefy sounding as an LP, I don't think Stone would just start using a lighter sounding guitar unless it was just something he wanted to change in the sound.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    scot88 wrote:

If you look at youtube clips from this last tour, he's seen playing his LP on Evenflow...well, at least in the clips i've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irnMcFdrH34
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I'm not sure about that. I personally have not heard many of PJ's most recent shows. but unless the guitars are vintage, I doubt very much Stone or Mike's guitars are stock. I heard that Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins often recorded with Les Pauls but used modded Strats on tour so that the more expensive guitars would not be destroyed. you CAN mod a Strat out to be as beefy sounding as an LP, I don't think Stone would just start using a lighter sounding guitar unless it was just something he wanted to change in the sound.

I think they still keep singles in the strats and humbuckers in the LPs. I think he wants to change the sound.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    he uses strats on the 'acoustic' songs-like NAIS, Small Town(somtimes), and Daughter. He only does that though because of the fishmans
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm inclined to think that this has mostly yo do with teh weight. These guys are 40ish and play for a few hours each night.
    I'm thinking that is why Mike played his Juniour so much in the last tour.
    Les PAuls are heavy.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'd probably just chalk it up to musician's prerogative.

from the recent live stuff i've heard, they sound better than they have in a while tonewise, apart from the fakoustic sounds in the strats.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I could have sworn I saw Stone use a black Taylor T5 on Daughter when the played at the Bridge School show this last October.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Well, Beidge School was acoustic wasn't it? He used to play a Hamer too(SNL) but he jst switched to the strat for electric shows I think in 2000
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'm inclined to think that this has mostly yo do with teh weight. These guys are 40ish and play for a few hours each night.
    Les PAuls are heavy.

The first time i saw him rocking out with that it was lust at first sight. I want to have it's babies :-)
    It's a beautiful guitar. You may be right, Mike certainly had plenty of energy on the tour, he was all over the place.
  • he uses strats on the 'acoustic' songs-like NAIS, Small Town(somtimes), and Daughter. He only does that though because of the fishmans
    Not sure about NAIS as I haven't ever seen it played; however, on the 06 tour in the shows that I saw Stone only used an acoustic for Small Town and Daughter (and ledbetter)...not once did he use an electric on those songs.

Les PAuls are heavy.
    I doubt this is the case. I guess I can only speak for myself but the weight of the guitar hasn't had an effect on me since I first started playing. My guess is that they just want to change it up...Mike probably got the Jr. and figured he wanted to play it more often - - especially on the news songs...it probably gave him the tone, feel and edge that he wanted for those tracks.

When a musician has access to all the gear that they do, it would be unnatural to not change something every once in awhile...or constantly :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Probably a combination of everything you guys have mentioned.

Personally, I think it's mainly just to change it up. Same reason Ed played SG's for a few years and is now back on the Tele's (also that beautifulllll red Gibson hollow body he whips out now and then).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Novawind wrote:
    I could have sworn I saw Stone use a black Taylor T5 on Daughter when the played at the Bridge School show this last October.

He used this for Daughter in Brisbane last year, and for a different song in Neewcastle, can't remember what, maybe small town
    Music is not a competetion.
    Yeah, Ledbetter he uses an acoustic nd on Small Town now but on Daughter, he plays electric sometimes on it. I think it's even up on GTW with the strat he has he Fishmans in.
  • scot88 wrote:

in 2005 he was using a telecaster on even flow, at least at Vancouver and the gorge shows that year....
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .