removing strat back panel??

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
is there a reason for removing the back panel of a strat and keeping it off, like mike? does it do something to the sound?
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't think there's a reason, makes it easier to add/remove trem springs.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    mine's off because with the way my bridge is set against the body, the string guides in the guard don't match up with those in the bridge, making string changes a pain.
  • i lost the screws after i took one of mine off once...therefore it stayed off.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I keep it on one of my Strats, the other, a John Mayer Strat, doesn't even come with a backplate or screw holes to add one.
  • There's a mystique that if you remove the backplate, you get a more woody sound, too. I have no idea if that's why Mike does it, but I tried it and I couldn't hear a difference.
    One guy told me once, in no uncertain terms, that, "when you take that plate off, the air circulates better around the springs and that Strat "quack" is better."

Ok, well, I took physics a lot in college, and unless they changed the laws since then,,, there's plenty of air there.

Although if you're playing with no shirt,,,, maybe you play with more passion when your hair gets caught in the springs! Maybe that's why he rears his head back all the time!

It could be that techs like it that way for in between song string changes, too. I like the hair theory better, though!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Ok, well, I took physics a lot in college, and unless they changed the laws since then,,, there's plenty of air there.

those people make stuff up like that to create justification for doing daft things like spending 4k for partsocasters.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    i used to keep it off(before i blocked all my trems, much better tone BTW) because i would have to make a lot of adjustments to the springs, and it was just easier to keep it off. mike does it for the same reason.
    i think eric johnson leaves his off too
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • There's a mystique that if you remove the backplate, you get a more woody sound, too. I have no idea if that's why Mike does it, but I tried it and I couldn't hear a difference.
    One guy told me once, in no uncertain terms, that, "when you take that plate off, the air circulates better around the springs and that Strat "quack" is better."

Although if you're playing with no shirt,,,, maybe you play with more passion when your hair gets caught in the springs! Maybe that's why he rears his head back all the time!

It could be that techs like it that way for in between song string changes, too. I like the hair theory better, though!

I'm all for the hair theory. Tech ones all right to

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • I have mine off because during shows, It is easier just to change the strings.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • It looks cooler.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Hendrix would do that, he'd go behind the back of the guitar and pluck the tremolo springs too etc.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    mines off because string changing is a lot easier and I like the way it looks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    exhausted wrote:
    mine's off because with the way my bridge is set against the body, the string guides in the guard don't match up with those in the bridge, making string changes a pain.

me too. it's almost impossible to change the strings with that freaking thing on.