Can i turn my 12 string into a 6 string without warping the neck?

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
i got a 12 string acoustic/electric, thinking of selling it cuz i will probably never use it with my band and i don't play it often enough to justify owning it (in my mind)

what i do need for the band is a 6 string acoustic/electric - so i was wondering, can i just take of the extra strings and leave on the main 6, or will that warp the neck if it is built to support 12 strings?
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• paige_peachpaige_peach Posts: 35
    why on earth would you do that? Just sell it and buy a six string.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    why on earth would you do that? Just sell it and buy a six string.
    because this would solve the problem in about 20 seconds....selling and buying takes much more time and effort
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • You'll probably warp the neck, whatever you do with it. Right now this second, I'm restringing my 12-string for a gig tomorrow. What a bastard, it is. You'd think it's be a piece of piss to do, by now.

Some guitarists double-course their strings (ie, no octaves), but that'd be warp factor twelve.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I've seen a few people do this, and with little trouble. The big issue is that you will need your truss rod adjusted to compensate for less string tension on the neck.

I'd also think about removing the extra tuners and bridge pins, they're just needless parts that may start vibrating. You can keep them in a ziplock bag in case you ever want 12 strings again, or if you sell it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Charger74Charger74 Posts: 59
    How 'bout this: You send me your 12 string, I'll send you my 6 string. Problem solved.
    9-6-98 KNOXVILLE, TN
    6-16-08 COLUMBIA, SC
    8-28-09 SAN FRANCISCO, CA
    ok, send me your 6 string first...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Why don't you want a 12 string?
    mca47 wrote:
    Why don't you want a 12 string?
    need cash...don't play it often...will never use it with my band

EDIT - just put it up on Ebay, so thats that...search for Takamine 12 string acoustic electric if you want it!

also put up my Ross Compressor
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    need cash...don't play it often...will never use it with my band

EDIT - just put it up on Ebay, so thats that...search for Takamine 12 string acoustic electric if you want it!

also put up my Ross Compressor

Well, if you were in a quick bind and needed to pick up a 6-string why not just take it to guitar center and trade it in? Sure you won't get as much for it, but you could have a brand new 6-sting today.
    well i don't really NEED a six string, it would just be of more use...but the other guitarist in my band has one that i can use if need be..and yes, you lose out on a whole lot of money trading in, i have learned that ebay is the way to go
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    because this would solve the problem in about 20 seconds....selling and buying takes much more time and effort
    takes a bit longer than 20 seconds ;)
    had a bit of a look on ebay to see if i could see yours (because i'm nosey :)), which one is yours?, is it the EF381SC? If it is, that's a good price, they are nice looking guitars and play nice too.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Well, the answer is yes, you can, but I guess that's not gonna happen! :)

The neck is plenty strong to change from 12 to 6 strings. You would have to loosen the truss rod and change the nut. But then you have a fatter neck and a guitar that's braced for 12 strings and may not resonate well with 6, so you did the right thing!

Later today I'm actually converting a 12 string electric to 6 strings for a friend. He's 6 foot 8 and has fat huge fingers and can barely play a 6 string Strat, so I found a 12 sting Fender neck and am changing the nut to 6 strings farther apart and putting it on his Strat body.
    . Haha,,, may or may not work but I'm doing it for nothing so he can't fire me anyway! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart