i HATE when singers say "L'I" instead of "I"

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
haven't been on here in a while to complain about anything.... but i was listening to "Under the Bridge" last night and thinking how much i hate this thing anthony keidis does, which seems to have unfortunately caught on:

"L'I don't ever wanna feel like i did that day" - anthony keidis

"L'I will go in this way, and find my own way out" - dave matthews

"L'I wasted my time" - some one hit wonder band, i think called default

i guess its like saying "well I" but the w-e gets cut off

if classic rockers do it, i never noticed it....but now it seems to have become standard practice amongst newer singers AND I CAN'T FUCKING STAND IT, IT IS THE WORST THING EVER

ok, as i said i haven't posted in a while, so i guess i had a lot built up inside
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's not sound engineers getting too carried away, cleaning up the waveform on the vocals? ;)
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    haven't been on here in a while to complain about anything.... but i was listening to "Under the Bridge" last night and thinking how much i hate this thing anthony keidis does, which seems to have unfortunately caught on:

"L'I don't ever wanna feel like i did that day" - anthony keidis

"L'I will go in this way, and find my own way out" - dave matthews

"L'I wasted my time" - some one hit wonder band, i think called default

i guess its like saying "well I" but the w-e gets cut off

if classic rockers do it, i never noticed it....but now it seems to have become standard practice amongst newer singers AND I CAN'T FUCKING STAND IT, IT IS THE WORST THING EVER

ok, as i said i haven't posted in a while, so i guess i had a lot built up inside

As for "Default" the line is "Not wasting my time"...there's not even an "L" in the song...hahaha
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • jcmark611jcmark611 Posts: 93
    L'I have become Comfortably Numb.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Sometimes vocalists need to change the way they pronounce consonants and vowels so that the words can be understood or noticed as they sing. Is it really so offensive?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    As for "Default" the line is "Not wasting my time"...there's not even an "L" in the song...hahaha
    really? i'll have to check that awful song out and see.....well, there's plenty of others who commit this offense....
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    really? i'll have to check that awful song out and see.....well, there's plenty of others who commit this offense....

First line:

"Well I don't want to see you waiting"

Chorus:

"Well this is not for real
    Afraid to feel
    I just hit the floor
    Don't ask for more
    I'm wasting my time
    I'm wasting my time
    You can't stop the feeling
    There is no reason
    Let's make the call
    And take it all again
    Woah again"

Ask.com
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    Haha, I like that song!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    First line:

"Well I don't want to see you waiting"

Chorus:

"Well this is not for real
    Afraid to feel
    I just hit the floor
    Don't ask for more
    I'm wasting my time
    I'm wasting my time
    You can't stop the feeling
    There is no reason
    Let's make the call
    And take it all again
    Woah again"

Ask.com
    ok fine, those are the printed lyrics, but i know he throws that "L" in there, that song is what put me over the edge with this and it is the most blatantly bad example of the "L"....because the chorus says "I'm wasting my time" twice and each chorus he does the "L" the first time but not the second, as if that is a cool way to mix things up or whatever....i will go check that song out on youtube right now

EDIT - i just checked it out

a) that is the cheesiest, most awful song ever....you start out with "grunge" that has some kind of raw emotion making it to the mainstream, and 10 years later you get this - all the shitty parts of "grunge" amplified, and all the good parts filtered out

b) he does the "L" twice in the first 20 seconds of singing, and then, like i said, he does it the first time on every chorus but not the second.....this is DEFINITLEY the song that made me hate this "L" thing
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    L'Iye never really bothered me - it's just a singers way of sluring notes as one might on guitar.
    It's just their non-conventional approach to singing a word - there's a lot more out there to hate.
    Hey they're singers - they don't have a lot they can do, and things do get boring night after night.
    I won't really knock a singer for trying to be creative - no matter how lame it really is :).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Posts: 1,028
    l'i don't see what the big fuss is about
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER