Even Flow Effects

pearljam559pearljam559 Posts: 33
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
What type of Effects does Mike use for even flow?
Thanks,
Brandon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I heard alot of whammy bar on that one....

Effects...not sure??
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    lots of wah in the solos.
  • pearljam559pearljam559 Posts: 33
    What about in the chorus, and verses? I know Stone plays a les paul, and Mike Plays a strat.
    Okay, but you said effects?...I honestly don't hear any actual effects in that song, just alot of whammy and a wah pedal in the solos. If you are talking tone that is something completely different.
    the tone is totally late 80s, early 90s marshall.
    thats what I'm talking about. What effects should I use, to come up with their tone? I can't afford to go buy every amp in the world. I just have a simple glx212 crate amp
    You said the word "crate"....I think thats your first problem...hahaha MIG and Paco are the guys to about amps, they helped me narrow down my choices.
    hey now.....

i played through a fender jam when i started out. you have to start somewhere. no use nosing down on someone else's gear.
    I'm not dude....my guitarist owns a crate. Its just one product brand that I don't particularly care for. But what he's asking for I thought was effects, when really what he needs is maybe a new amp?...I could be wrong.
    it's cool it's cool.

ok, first things first,

how much money are we playing with here?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    thats what I'm talking about. What effects should I use, to come up with their tone? I can't afford to go buy every amp in the world. I just have a simple glx212 crate amp

Dial in a little more midrange a little less gain start with about 1 quarter gain with more volume, play a little harder. Just play with it and listen to the recording and try to get a close approximation. it's all trial and error.

I would suggest investing in a decent wah pedal and an overdrive pedal, something that works with your amp. Many of the things we talk about here sound like crap in some amps and fantastic in others, so you might need a different flavor with your particular amp, in fact you may not need a pedal at all other than maybe a medium gain OD or a Boost and a Wah.

The issue with sounding like someone else is thier fingers and thier gear are often not what you've got and they react differently. You need to spend a little time, with your amp or a close approximation there of, play with your attack, the amplifier and the stuff you have now. Just play with the knobs and find out what they do, then, when you've played around a while and listened to the sounds of a few different effects, we'll try and help you decide the best of those to get.

check out http://www.musictoyz.com http://www.pedalgeek.com and http://www.tonefactor.com as well as http://www.musiciansfriend.com for some ideas and sound clips.

wahs to try, Morley Bad Horsie. Dunlop Crybaby (the 535Q is what mike uses but it may not sound the best for you) Vox 848 (a really good choice)
    Dunlop Crybaby Classic and there are plenty more. The Budda Bud Wah is excellent in the higher end as are the Teese RMC line of wah's. Don't pigeonhole your self, check out lots of stuff. The Boss V-wah is very versatile and might suit you well for instance. Fasel conductors are nice as they provide a more vocal sweep giving you a nicer tone. Some wah's get a little harsh at the top of the sweep that's why it's important to try and to adjust the EQ's etc.

Overdrives are also easy to come by, the Boss Blues Driver and Super Overdrive fit that sound. the BD having less midrange hump

Stone and Mike also use Ibanez (Maxon) tubescreamers TS9's for stone and 808's and TS-9's for Mike they may not suit you or they might be perfect. Just try them and try any other overdrive you can play or hear if you get a chance.

we could all list about a million pedals that would best suit you but a price range would be nice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Hey,

I've only been playing for a year dude, but have a crate Glx212, and an Ibanez SZ750.

What could I do with 400 bucks to get close to his sound? Or Stones for that matter.

Thanks
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    What could I do with 400 bucks to get close to his sound? Or Stones for that matter.

Take some lessons.

hehehe...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I don't know man. I have an old Marshall valvestate that has been with me for like 8 years....that thing has taken a major beating. I can get some pretty good sounds out of that thing considering....I play even flow as well....sounds way better than my old guitarists Mesa Nomad tube amp in my opinion. Its only in the last few months that I've decided to save up some money and buy an expensive tube amp...maybe sometimes you just have to be content with what you have??
    Hey,

I've only been playing for a year dude, but have a crate Glx212, and an Ibanez SZ750.

Thanks

go get a Wah pedal.

I'd get a vox 848 and then play with your amp to see if you can't pull a solid crunch tone out of it.

Get a wah, and then save the rest. It's going to take you a little shopping time to find an overdrive/distortion to give you the right tone with your amp.

Like I said, some sound good, some are crap. You are looking for a warm crunch tone essentially. In your price range I'd probably try a Danelectro Fab tone distortion used (about 30-50 bucks likely) should be decent with your amp. Then you might try some tube driven overdrive/distortion units because they can help you with the warmth. Mainly it takes time, and it takes trial and error.

http://search.ebay.com/danelectro-fab-tone_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

there's some examples. That's one that could work well and not kill the budget.

The Real Works Real Tube might be an option too.

Don't get to carried away with effects right now, save some money you can make more drastic changes later with a different amp.

I just don't know if an OD/Distortion will help you that much, you may end up likeing your amps distortion tone better in the end.

I say definately get a wah. Then play around with the settings on the amp and try to get a close approximation, then look for an OD/distortion.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I don't see how a wah is going to help with his tone though Paco...

Kinda like

"Worrying is like a rocking chair....it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere"
    nailz100 wrote:
    I don't see how a wah is going to help with his tone though Paco...

Kinda like

"Worrying is like a rocking chair....it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere"

We're talking approximation here. The kid with the civic will never have a Ferrari, but he can still drive fast and have some fun with it. A wah will provide the ability to approximate some of Mikes solo tones and all sorts of stuff. Most of the effects that Mike and Stone use are used to make subtle changes to the tone of their amplifiers and instruments

Mike and Stone have invested years and thousands of dollars in their stuff, no effect is really going to nail it, but things like the wah are universally cool and will sound good on damn near anything.

In a two channel transistor amp like that, there's already a distortion, an OD pedal will provide a medium gain crunch effectively providing another option, true nothings going to nail the tone, hell people spend tons trying to find various tones. I'm just trying to help him get a little Pearl Jam out of what he's got right now.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I agree. A tube amp and a good overdrive would do wonders, but that's a budget-buster. The quick fix is a decent wah. I'd recommend the Vox wahs, although Mike and quite a few of our fellow gearheads are Crybaby users (and yes, I know about the Teese and other high-brow wahs, but they're too expensive). Get the basic Vox or the basic Crybaby. If you wanna spend a little extra, get a 535Q or a Clyde McCoy.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    pricing on wah's

The standard Vox (847) and the Crybaby Classic (fasel inductor) are both 99 bucks virtually everywhere. really honestly this is your best deal.

The Jimi Hendrix wah's also from dunlop are also fine, they have a bit wider sweep than the standard Crybaby (69) but so does the vox and the vox is just classic anyway.

The Budda Bud-wah is a very smooth wah sound not harsh at the top it's generally around $150 the same price as the newer vox clyde mccoy's.

A 535 Q is generally around $130

yeah there's a ton of other botique wah's one can choose from but again until everything else is perfect spending big dollars on effects dosen't make a great deal of difference.

If you want switchless the Morley bad horsie 2 contour wah is a solid pick about $130, my bad horsie has been good for me. Very reliable and no pot to clean or replace becuse it's optical It's designed so that you just step on it to engage and it's spring loaded. The sweep frequency (Q) can be controlled like with the 535 Q. It just depends on what you like, standard wah's have a little different tone. I find myself wanting a good solid standard wah occasionally. The vox's are just so cool I'll probably end up with one of those.

Then of course there are the wah/volume/boost pedal's like the Mister Cry Baby.....

anyway hope that helps.

here's a whole page on Ebay

http://search.ebay.com/Wah-pedal_Musical-Instruments_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ619
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    We're talking approximation here. The kid with the civic will never have a Ferrari, but he can still drive fast and have some fun with it. A wah will provide the ability to approximate some of Mikes solo tones and all sorts of stuff. Most of the effects that Mike and Stone use are used to make subtle changes to the tone of their amplifiers and instruments

Mike and Stone have invested years and thousands of dollars in their stuff, no effect is really going to nail it, but things like the wah are universally cool and will sound good on damn near anything.

In a two channel transistor amp like that, there's already a distortion, an OD pedal will provide a medium gain crunch effectively providing another option, true nothings going to nail the tone, hell people spend tons trying to find various tones. I'm just trying to help him get a little Pearl Jam out of what he's got right now.

i like this line of thought.

my basic "mike" setup would be a wah, a phaser and an overdrive..... that would cover a lot of ground.
    Not to mention that a Wah is fun as hell to play...
    THe Digitech Bad Monkey or the Nobels OD - 1 (I believe that's the number it's green) would probably be pretty close to the TS sound at half the price and it might work better with your transistors.

the reviews at http://www.harmony-central.com are good across the board.