So I've finally decided to learn some music theory.

i_am_a_wishlisti_am_a_wishlist Posts: 628
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for just over a year. Self taught. But I've never learnt any theory. I just sorta play whatever and throw some chords together. But I've taken it upon myself to learn some theory to improve my playing. It all seems very daunting but it's something that needs to be done. Just seems so hard. Anyway any tips?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    that's cool :D I'm on the same boat too. Been playing by ear, teaching myself how to play guitar :p But now I'm taking a Fundamentals of Music class at college. Not only will it help me learn some theory, but it also counts towards the general education requirements, so it's all good :D

Good luck! :D (Sorry I don't have any tips, lol, I just started learning myself :p)

Peace,

Juli
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    It never hurts to become literate in the language of music. :)

Good luck to you. Theory is pretty easym though it can get as complex as you need it to.
  • if you wanna play rock guitar all you got to learn is the basics of the BLUES

it takes 30 minutes to learn, but a lifetime to master................
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young